Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS to come before EF version [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’ve mentioned previously that an RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS will be coming sometime in 2019 for the Canon EOS R system. We’ve also been told that an EF version of such a lens is also in the works.
We’re now told that the RF version of the 24-70mm f/2.8L IS will come ahead of an EF version. Though the source did say that it’s possible the EF version never comes, it may come down to how well the EOS R system cameras are received in 2018 and 2019. We do expect to see an entry-level EOS R camera, as well as a “pro” body.
The EF lens lineup is going to take a backseat to the RF line for the foreseeable future.

Continue reading...

Oct 26, 2013
That sounds fine. People who own an R may ant a native mount or may not have an EF. The vast majority of people with a DSLR in the market for a 24-70 2.8IS have something in EF already.

My big question is, how much? :)

Yes, exactly. The EF lineup is already essentially complete and up to date (with one exception, apparently..) So it is obvious Canon will try and build up the RF lineup as quickly as possible. Of course, forum dwellers will immediately take this as a signal that DSLRs are dead. Typical over-reaction.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
oh boy DSLR are dying faster than i thought... ;)

not a SINGLE EF lens in 2019?!

not even a new 50mm .... :D how much longer must people wait for a new L 50mm?
If someone wants 50 1.2 now, RF is the only choice. Switch to R
1f601.svg

Upvote 0
Yes, exactly. The EF lineup is already essentially complete and up to date (with one exception, apparently..) So it is obvious Canon will try and build up the RF lineup as quickly as possible. Of course, forum dwellers will immediately take this as a signal that DSLRs are dead. Typical over-reaction.

I don't think the dslr is already dead, but the comment at the end about the EF version might be dependent on how the R is received doesn't give a lot of confidence

Upvote 0

eyeheartny

EOS R | 50 1.2 RF
Sep 3, 2018
As an R owner I like how things are shaping up lens-wise for the RF mount and I understand why Canon needs a cheaper standard zoom (compared to the f2 version), but I am also eager for some more exotic lenses to be released on the RF mount...an 85mm, a fast short-portrait zoom, some ultrafast wide angles, etc. So exciting to see what this new mount enables the engineers to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've got an R (I love it btw, even without two cards) and I'm really anxious for exactly this lens, or there-abouts. I've got nothing to look through yet because I'm waiting for the polarizing adapter; and none of the first four RFs are a good fit for my needs. Besides this rumored standard zoom I've got a pretty small-niche wish-list, so I'm resigned to waiting awhile. But if Canon is reading this:

A 28mm IS f2.0 Plenty fast but compact, too. No macro required.
A 17mm TS-E that uses filters. Front, back—doesn't matter. 19 or 20mm would be close enough.
A 24mm TS-E compact and with excellent optics.

And yeah, expensive year ahead!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0