Canon RF 24mm f/1.2L & RF 85mm f/1.2L in the works [CR1]

I'm sure some will, but not many. A fraction of a stop is not, IMHO, such a big deal.

A fraction of a stop isn't important, but Canon lens advantage is the way its render. 85 1.2L is still beloved despite there are so many flaw compared to modern design lens such as Sigma 85 1.4Art. A new 85 1.2 RF with faster AF, better built, and corrections of CA will be appreciate for their new EOS Pro camera for those who want it.

I don't have the sale number from Canon for any particular lens, but they wouldn't be making it if it's not in their interest to do so.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Pretty sure they indeed wanted to release 2 R camera's like Nikon did, but delayed the 'Pro' one for some unknown reason.
Maybe it has to do with the (firmware) performance not being adequate. Just look like how they released the R with a promised feature firmware update.
I think its hardware based, dual Digic 8 processors might have not been adequate, so newer ones (hinted at in Canon interviews), or they just decided to wait and see what was learned from the "R".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
With the mirrorless I'd expect every lens +1 stop. 1.4 EF lens should go R 1.0 ....

Fuji is going to release 35 mm 1.0 lens in 2019.
There is an existing EF85mm 1.2L so you have to expect an RF 85mm f/0.9 or so...

Oh and there is EF50 1.2 already but they made just a RF50mm 1.2L

Not to mention an old EF50mm f/1.0 which would mean a new RF50mm f/0.7 ...

It's interesting how people tend to generalize from a single case...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
“We find the RF 24mm f/1.2L an interesting choice for the lineup, especially with the speed of the lens.”

24mm is an interesting choice but makes perfect sense given the 1.8x crop in 4K on the EOS-R. With that crop it will end up somewhere between a 40 and a 50mm, something a 35mm 1.2 could not do in video mode.

Plus, they need a fast wide for landscape photographers.
Could you please explain why landscape photographers need 1.4?

Upvote 0
There is an existing EF85mm 1.2L so you have to expect an RF 85mm f/0.9 or so...

Thats what i assume the R mount is able to do ... but cannon probably not gona do those - too heavy and expensive for poor people...
Canon enginers want to surprise us ... no surprise in this rumor...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I'm expecting a wider lens, for real estate, and photographing automobile interiors or similar cramped spaces, wider than 24mm is better. However, super wide apertures versus depth of field is a trade off, a f/1.2 would nor find much interest for auto interiors, but might be fine for real estate interiors. Something like 15mm f/1.4 would be interesting.

Upvote 0

Getting down to paper thin DOF. How useful is that?

Upvote 0
Could you please explain why landscape photographers need 1.4?

Not all landscape shooters compose with the classic (overused, even) "object of interest" in the foreground leading back to mountains on the horizon. Most of what I shoot is at infinity focus, and wide aperture lenses allow me to shoot without a tripod well into twilight. They also double as "portrait" lenses of plants, rocks, and other features.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Getting down to paper thin DOF. How useful is that?

There is also something called the hyperfocal distance that comes in to play with wider lenses like this. It is the distance at which you can focus something, and based on your aperture and focal length everything beyond that will be in focus. I hope I am explaining that correctly as it has been a while since I used this phenomenon to take a photo. Essentially, you get a depth of field cheat doing this. So you can get wide aperture and some DOF at the same time. In my recollection, it is much more pronounced and usable in wide angle lenses than normal or telephoto lenses.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Not all landscape shooters compose with the classic (overused, even) "object of interest" in the foreground leading back to mountains on the horizon. Most of what I shoot is at infinity focus, and wide aperture lenses allow me to shoot without a tripod well into twilight. They also double as "portrait" lenses of plants, rocks, and other features.
I'd like to try this. Thanks!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
You win the 'strangest comment in the thread' award.

Strangest? I think it is a perfectly rational explanation for why I don't see the world like an f/1.2 lens wide open when in bright sunlight. There are of course other substances and occasions for dilating pupils artificially. I also don't go out taking pictures right after a visit to the eye doctor. In fact I try to do as little as possible outside in bright sunlight then, even in very dark sunglasses.

Upvote 0

fantastic news. canon's strength is in their ability to produce amazing lenses. focusing on f1.2 mirrorless lenses sounds like a very good strategy to me. sure its more expensive than a f1.4 but its still within the reach of professionals. its also definitely a bit heavier and bulkier but nothing too crazy like nikon's manual focus noct. just wish canon included IBIS.

Upvote 0