Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM coming in 2020 [CR1]

Normalnorm

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 25, 2012
The 70-200 f2.8 is pretty small. Heh, it’s not much bigger than some “normal” lenses these days.
Agreed but it is not yet here and I anticipate an avalanche of criticism about it being an extending design.
I do look forward to it however and will sell my trusty ca.2002 70-200 2.8L IS as soon as the new one appears.

Aug 22, 2010
Uk
www.GMCPhotographics.co.uk
I think it's a great idea from Canon and it's a surprise to me that Canon didn't do this earlier. I guess they have been holding back on EF lens development for a while so they can buff and drop the dev on the new RF mount. I've been using the ef 85mm f1.2 II L and 35mm f1.4 L professionally for well over 15 years...it's always surprised me that Canon had the tech / lens advantage for so many years and then didn't jump on the opportunity to push ahead again once all the competition caught up with similar offerings. Sigma, nikon and Sony to name the main contenders.
A 24mm f1.2 and 35mm f1.2 obviously come to mind...and we all know of the ef 50mm f1.2 L disaster. I don't think f1.2 fives much of a brightness advantage over f1.4....but it's an OCD / portfolio thang. I could then say...all my primes are f1.2. It kind of feels complete.
So I hope Canon does make a range of sweet f1.2 primes beyond their existing 85 and 50 offerings.

SecureGSM

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 26, 2017
Hyperfocal:

In photography, hyperfocal distance is a distance beyond which all objects can be brought into an "acceptable" focus. As the hyperfocal distance is the focus distance giving the maximum depth of field, it is the most desirable distance to set the focus of a fixed-focus camera.

Is that what you meant to say?

Hyperfocal:

In photography, hyperfocal distance is a distance beyond which all objects can be brought into an "acceptable" focus. As the hyperfocal distance is the focus distance giving the maximum depth of field, it is the most desirable distance to set the focus of a fixed-focus camera.

Is that what you meant to say?
Not sure - by hyperfocal I mean "with just internally moving elements" when refocusing, simply not extending ....

SecureGSM

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 26, 2017
Not sure - by hyperfocal I mean "with just internally moving elements" when refocusing, simply not extending ....
oh, ok. there are couple of points to consider:
extending zooms may be susceptible to zoom creeping issue.
Lens creep” is that really annoying thing in which your lens slips and zooms itself out of position. It happens on all sorts of zoom lenses that have an externally moving part rather than an internal one.

and so on and so forth.

Normalnorm

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 25, 2012
Why wouldn't it be hyperfocal?
Not hyperfocal.
It is an extending design as opposed to internal zoom.
The 24-70 and 24-105 designs are also extending designs. The current 70-200 zooms are internal zooms in that they do not change length as you zoom.
The prototype shown of the RF 70-200 was an extending type. The criticism of extending zooms is that air is pushed in and out of the lens permitting dust to accumulate.
While that is technically true I have never had an issue with dust despite long term usage of extending zooms.
Zoom creep does occur with the v1 and v2 RF 24-105 zooms I have owned but the RF does not creep. IMO it is a function of good design and construction that minimizes or eliminates zoom creep.

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018
What vintage lenses?
Canon FD?
I really want to go with R so as to use my FD/FL and R vintage lenses and I was wondering if this worked with non-electric lenses. My delay at this point is I am greedy and want IBIS as well as I have been completely spoiled with IS in my current Canon lenses.
Thank you in advance for your response.
Sorry for the delay (short trip to France).
I meant the vintage lenses I personally own, Leica Apo Macro Elmarit 100 mm, Macro Elmarit 60 mm, Summilux 35 asph. & 75 mm M lenses, Apo Telyt 180 mm, Summicron R 90 mm, Summicron M 50 mm, M 28 mm asph. and many more M and R lenses...
PS: I have converted the Leica R lenses with a so called "Leitax" bayonet (replaced the leica bayonet with an EF Type), and use the Novoflex RF to M adapter for the Leica M lenses (NOT for ultrawides !!! due to color shift.)

Reactions: Architect1776

SecureGSM

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 26, 2017
105/1.2 would be a size if Sigma 105/1.4 Art and it is absolute huge. An Absurdity. Mine is for sale.

135/1.2 would be the size of 200/2 if not larger. Price? I guess one would have take out a second mortgage;)