Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM coming in 2020 [CR1]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

These fast primes are great and glad to see Canon crushing the competition with them.
The incredible zooms are also leading the way.
The problem is it would be nice to see more 24-240 category lenses for us mere mortals to use as others stated very good quality zooms but make the build less robust to save rather than optics. A few primes for those who really want them like a 50mm f1.4 that is sharp but again the build does not require to be tank like.
Perhaps as the line grows this will happen. I do understand Canon flexing their optical muscles at first. Independents are producing extremely good and rugged lenses themselves and Canon needs to answer the challenge.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Some mention of Human-price not-PRO lenses for RF.
Actually the solution is the EF adapter

Yes it is. Remember though as time passes there will be those purchasing their first camera as an R and will not likely be enamored with the idea of having to use adapted lenses rather than native lenses. Yes the EF work just fine or better but I would be turned off by that and get the impression that the RF is not being seriously developed by lack of a broad range of lenses. That said I hope Canon does not recycle old formulas for RF lenses but goes to cutting edge designs addressing previous optical flaws they are accused of not being able to address.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
The only f1.2 holding my interest is the 85/1.2L - most portraits demand such a lens!
35mm is the choice for outdoor shooting where my RF35/1.8 really is perfect -- better than my EF35/1.4L in actual use.

My RF35/1.8 is always with me. I'm selling my EF35/1.4L due to lack of use. It was great on the EF cameras but now I'm used to the smaller, more agile, R system.

Using manual lenses is far better on the R than the EF - so why not go manual with a really fast, totally affordable 35mm like the Voigtlander 35/1.2 ???

Upvote 0
I don't want to second guess Canon's business strategy, but I am more than a bit perplexed by the number of uber-costly lenses Canon is announcing. I'd love to see the studies that show they will receive sufficient return on investment in a shrinking camera market to warrant the heavy development and production costs these lenses must require.

Did you run a study on Zeiss after they released the $4500 Otus lenses .. the manual focus ones?

Canon's new lenses are not uber expensive. And I doubt they need to make low price budget lenses right now. The starving penny pinchers can merely adapt the nifty fifty to an RF body, and that's likely what the bargain basement lens buyers will do.

Personally, I like great glass, so I enjoy what they are making. And it's nice being able to select from EF or RF glass.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Let’s not forget that lenses have been getting bigger for years. How many people here remember whn 50mm f1.8-2.0 lenses had 6 elements, and f1.4 had 7? These days are long gone. now a 1.4 is as large as a 135 f2.8 used to be, and often, heavier. Mirrorless supposedly gets these lenses slightly smaller and lighter. So I imagine Canon is thinking that they can make f1.2 that’s not that much bigger than DSLR f1.4 lenses.

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Convenient timing that this rumor drops just when Sigma is gathering buzz with their own 35/1.2. As someone who recently picked up a 35/1.4 after lusting after it for months, I now have a hard time envisioning exactly what a 35/1.2 would do for me that my current lens doesn't. That being said, my OCD loves the idea that every L prime in the RF ecosystem, from 24 all the way to 85, might be 1.2 :p
As an events photographer, i'd expect this to focus at f1.2 in difficult low light conditions then step down to say f4 for the actual shot.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Let’s not forget that lenses have been getting bigger for years. How many people here remember whn 50mm f1.8-2.0 lenses had 6 elements, and f1.4 had 7? These days are long gone. now a 1.4 is as large as a 135 f2.8 used to be, and often, heavier. Mirrorless supposedly gets these lenses slightly smaller and lighter. So I imagine Canon is thinking that they can make f1.2 that’s not that much bigger than DSLR f1.4 lenses.
Like the tiny M42 screw mount manual lenses. All my f/1.4s are tiny tiny. Even the 200mm (not f/1.4) is tiny compared to what there is now... but the IQ isn't as good, depending on personal taste.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Did you run a study on Zeiss after they released the $4500 Otus lenses .. the manual focus ones?

Canon's new lenses are not uber expensive. And I doubt they need to make low price budget lenses right now. The starving penny pinchers can merely adapt the nifty fifty to an RF body, and that's likely what the bargain basement lens buyers will do.

Personally, I like great glass, so I enjoy what they are making. And it's nice being able to select from EF or RF glass.
The big question is: are these new lenses worth the money?
The answer is: absolutely, (just take a look at the 85 mm test on TDP).
And, as you suggested,, there are other options (Sigma, Tamron, the enormous choice of EF lenses, and, last no least, the used ones).
Canon wants to grab a huge share of the pro market, and pros need and buy these extra-terrestrial lenses.
Well done, Canon!

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Convenient timing that this rumor drops just when Sigma is gathering buzz with their own 35/1.2. As someone who recently picked up a 35/1.4 after lusting after it for months, I now have a hard time envisioning exactly what a 35/1.2 would do for me that my current lens doesn't. That being said, my OCD loves the idea that every L prime in the RF ecosystem, from 24 all the way to 85, might be 1.2 :p
And how about a pair of telephotos: RF 100mm f/1.4 and a 135mm f/1.4?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I know. This 1.8/35 macro is nothing special optically and it is no L lens. The Canon RL primes strategy is wrong, just wrong: 35mm is no studio FL, it is the most used FL when it comes to primes. Will we take a set of 1.2 primes with a trolley around the house? Hiking with f1.2? These extrafast primes feed pride of ownership and are fascinating techwise, but be honest, the majority of excellent pictures are shot at around f5.6-f8. Excellent small primes for 'small mirroless' is a lost chance by Canon. I really am disappointed. Sorry.

You need a M5 or M6 with the EF-M 22mm f2.8. That is your light-weight, hiking/all-day use kit that still provides excellent IQ in a very compact but still 35mm FOV equivalency (on these APS-C bodies).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I don't want to second guess Canon's business strategy, but I am more than a bit perplexed by the number of uber-costly lenses Canon is announcing. I'd love to see the studies that show they will receive sufficient return on investment in a shrinking camera market to warrant the heavy development and production costs these lenses must require.
You need to understand the market segment that is shrinking. The shrinking segment by far is the consumer market. The Pro market is actually growing (or at the very least, flat). So who is Canon targeting with the early RF lens line-up? Pro's and well-heeled advanced amateurs/hobbyists. People denigrate the 2 early bodies that Canon released for this reason or that but most that do so, have not actually used either body and played around with the files, etc.

By also implementing 2 different types of adapters for EF/EF-S to RF they've actually managed to improve performance and functionality of the older lenses when one chooses the adapter that has the control ring on it...

Upvote 0