Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro to be offered as an EOS RP kit lens in Japan

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We get the feeling the Canon couldn’t get a true non L kit lens ready in time for the launch of the EOS RP. It appears the only kit lens option around most of the globe is going to be the RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, which is a great lens, but costs about $1100USD on its own.
The latest reports suggest that Japan will get the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro as a kit lens option. This is a fantastic lens and will fit the diminutive EOS RP quite well as a great walkaround option.
We still wish something along the lines of an RF 24-70mm f/4 IS STM was being offered in a kit with the EOS RP, but maybe that’ll come at a later date.

Continue reading...

If the 24-240 isn't quite ready, there is one other option. The RP looks to be priced to appeal strongly to APS-C users moving to FF. The body size and weight comes in just above the SL2, but lighter than the T7i and 77D, and much smaller and lighter than an 80D. Why not show the capability of the RF-EF adapter and offer a kit with the Nifty 50/1.8 STM? If the body does come in at $1299, then an adapter+50 STM kit could conceivably be offered for $1499. That would get folks started in the EF/RF ecosystem, and drive home the wide variety of mid-priced EF glass that new RP owners would have access to immediately. I say this as someone with 2 SL1 bodies, an Elan 7 film body, and both a nice 28-105 USM II and 50 STM in my bag already. Before the days of kit zooms, the Nifty 50 (f/2-f/1.7) was always offered as part of a kit. Canon is launching on Thursday, so do a TBT and offer a low priced, light weight kit with a 50 STM. Just my .02.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It kinda feels like there is a conflict at canon on what they should be doing with the R mount first. They are making great top of the line lenses and bottom of the Line FF bodies. I think the RP body is a smart choice, low cost full frame camera could sell really well but not if it doesn't have lenses. I would love to see a "cheap" wide angle lens like 17-35 F2.8-4, at like $500-700 something small.

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
I hope even eos-r gets this lens kit over the 24-105mm f4 L.

I agree in regards to offering it as a kit lens with the R. If the RP is too crippled for my needs, I'll probably step up to the R, and it would be nice have something in between R body only and the R+24-105. I would also guess that a lot of R buyers already have nice EF standard zooms and might be interested in a small prime RF lens. A boy can dream at least.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
If the 24-240 isn't quite ready, there is one other option. The RP looks to be priced to appeal strongly to APS-C users moving to FF. The body size and weight comes in just above the SL2, but lighter than the T7i and 77D, and much smaller and lighter than an 80D. Why not show the capability of the RF-EF adapter and offer a kit with the Nifty 50/1.8 STM? If the body does come in at $1299, then an adapter+50 STM kit could conceivably be offered for $1499. That would get folks started in the EF/RF ecosystem, and drive home the wide variety of mid-priced EF glass that new RP owners would have access to immediately. I say this as someone with 2 SL1 bodies, an Elan 7 film body, and both a nice 28-105 USM II and 50 STM in my bag already. Before the days of kit zooms, the Nifty 50 (f/2-f/1.7) was always offered as part of a kit. Canon is launching on Thursday, so do a TBT and offer a low priced, light weight kit with a 50 STM. Just my .02.

I personally quite like this idea, but suspect that given how little Canon (as opposed to Leica, or Fuji) trades in anachronism, selling a camera body bundled with just a prime lens just wouldn't fly IMO.

Edit: wow, I obviously stand corrected, given the title of this thread :p Color me surprised!

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Assuming they throw in a free EF adaptor with the EOS RP body, I'm thinking that the strategy is for the price conscious to use adapted cheaper EF lenses.

It is interesting that they are putting such effort into high range lenses - that can only be because they are pitching the whole future strategy as centring around the new lens mount (ie mirrorless bodies are the means to make the new mount work, but not the rationale). That was the theme when the EOS R launched late last year. Contrast again to Nikon ...

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
As an R owner with the lots of EF glass, the RF24~105, and the RF35, the RP will be a great entry point.
I carry my R with the 35 which makes the 24~105 feel huge. The EF50 stm on control ring adapter makes a great normal lens but my style runs more toward 35 anyway.
YES! offer the RP with RF35 and make the entry point to modern full frame photography affordable to all!
PS: I'll bet the RP will outperform the 6D-II in real world usage...

Upvote 0