Canon RF 85 f1.2 L first impressions

Jun 12, 2015
I got the RF 85 f1.2 L two days ago, and have been trying it out on the streets.

I have compared it to the EF 85LII and the EF 85 f1.8. I don't post any comparison pictures here, but long story short, it is much better in every measurable way other than size and weight.

1. It is huge! It makes the EF 85 LII look quite small and cute. Fortunately, it doesn't feel too bad an unbalanced on the EOS R, but it feels more front heavy than the 85LII does on the 5DIV.

2. AF is fast and accurate. It isn't as fast from close to infinity as a 24-70 f2.8LII, but still very good. I'd say going from close focus to infinity and achieving focus takes less than a second. With shorter focus pulls it is much quicker.

3. It is super sharp from edge to edge wide open. Look at the brick wall picture that is attached. It is at least as sharp as the RF50L, probably sharper (if that is possible).

4. It has no chromatic aberrations. The picture from inside the train station, with the window posts, is a torture test. The Zeiss 100mm f2 macro planar shows chromatic aberration in this scene. The RF 85Lf1.2 has none, even at f1.2.

5. If it has any distortion, I am unable to see it. I refer to the brick wall picture, and the picture from inside the train station.

6. Bokeh is very pleasing. When I compared it to the EF85LII, I found the RF85L to have softer and smother bokeh at "normal" shooting distances, from close focus to maybe 4 meters away. When focusing at approximately 60 meters though (the scene from within the train station), the EF85LII has a noticeably smoother background - f2 was smoother than the RF at 1.2. (I haven't done any comparisons between the two between 4 and 60 meters focus distance.) Personally I would prioritize the lens that has the smoothest bokeh at shorter focusing distances (the RF).

7. It vignettes at f1.2, but its vignetting doesn't bother me. The vignette has a very smooth transition to it. You can judge for yourselves, especially from the brick wall picture.

The pictures are all shot handheld. The brick wall test is shot at 1/250 sec and could be affected by camera shake. The other images are shot with 1/800 sec and faster.

Full res unedited JPG files can be downloaded here:

Attachments

• 1. f1.2.jpg
    1. f1.2.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 201
  • 2. f1.2.jpg
    2. f1.2.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 207
  • 3. f1.2.jpg
    3. f1.2.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 4. f1.8.jpg