Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM, RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and other accessories will be announced soon

RPF

Jan 18, 2019
And yet, I have not seen anywhere how you will zoom on this new 70-200. Perhaps you will do it by extending the lens, but I found it intriguing that people who were able to handle this new lens were not able to demonstrate this.
Maybe the using condition is limited to release. Inner zooming impossible, a 160mm length optical system cannot provide well-corrected 200mm F/2.8 FF lens.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
And yet, I have not seen anywhere how you will zoom on this new 70-200. Perhaps you will do it by extending the lens, but I found it intriguing that people who were able to handle this new lens were not able to demonstrate this.
Will love that 70-200 lens if it is smaller and internal zoom like current 70-200. Don’t want an extending zoom as they are magnets for dust and sand in landscape (especially dunes).

A cursory look at the patent shows that it will be an extending zoom, internal focus lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
Buying this 70-200 and unfortunately selling my Tamron 70-200 G2 which does not function very well on the EOS R. It is usable but has some annoying bugs, like jittery viewfinder and occasional super slow focusing in servo mode. It also tends to hunt for focus in low light & low contrast scenes though I have noticed that with many lenses on the R.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Only one photo taken with the DS-Lens. Does the background realy look better with DS?
To me the example photo has a much nicer background, out of focus highlites are rounder softer, and colors are muted rather than cat eye, the face has more depth of field. This caused one objectionable highlite on the model's left side, the others look better. The face looks more evenly illuminated, likely due to the greater depth of field. When you compare the two images there are a ton of tiny things that render differently, but the main effect is that the model seems to pop out with more separation from the background, and the background is smoother and muted.

If I were doing 95% portraits, I'd get the DS based on that photo, but we need to see more first.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Yes. I f you go to there website, Rudy does a demonstration. It is actually 1.5 stops light transmission difference. I personally did not find the difference between the two to make a difference to me. In other words, I am happy with what I have. I won't be missing anything.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...RF-85mm-F12-L-USM-vs-the-RF-86mm-F12-L-USM-DS

Does this mean the DS version is effectively an f1.8?? That doesn't sound like a very good trade-off to me. Not at an f1.2 price.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The 85 DS is just like the Sony 100mm STM. Read up on it to find out what to expect from the Canon. The Sony is a 2.8 but since it is STM it let's in the same light as if it was 5.6 I think. It makes the Bokeh look different, SOme peopel dont like it , some people do. If you do portraits and you want a different look and the smoothest backgrounds get it if you can afford to sacrifice 1.5 stops.

Upvote 0
To me the example photo has a much nicer background, out of focus highlites are rounder softer, and colors are muted rather than cat eye, the face has more depth of field. This caused one objectionable highlite on the model's left side, the others look better. The face looks more evenly illuminated, likely due to the greater depth of field. When you compare the two images there are a ton of tiny things that render differently, but the main effect is that the model seems to pop out with more separation from the background, and the background is smoother and muted.

If I were doing 95% portraits, I'd get the DS based on that photo, but we need to see more first.

I see some differences too, especially the much smoother bokeh and the rounder bokeh balls.

But I think the image of the DS version is
(1) a little bit brighter e.g. the bokeh ball centers and the beige cardigan (hopefully the right term)
(1a) or contrast is higher (maybe during post processing?)
(2) focus is at higher distance compared to the non-DS photo (maybe eye focus, face is a little bit smaller - more distance)
(3) the woman turned her face a little bit to the right side (relative to camera view) and lighting is slightly more modelling - more visual contrast.

So it would have been better to use a more static object as main subject to enhance comparability.

But I share your conclusion: For portraiture the DS avoids the "sharp" bokeh balls which might draw to much attention and shift the focus away from the person on the image!

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
How can this be?

Depth-of-field is rendered differently
At wider lens apertures where the Defocus Smoothing effect is visible, for technical reasons, depth-of-field will appear deeper in shots taken with the DS lens, vs. identical shots taken with the RF 85mm F1.2 L USM lens.

At the same focal length, Depth-of-field is dependend only on aperture.

Upvote 0
Does this mean the DS version is effectively an f1.8?? That doesn't sound like a very good trade-off to me. Not at an f1.2 price.

I think there are two answers:
(1) Bokeh wise it is more an f/1.2 lens because the aperture is 1.2 but apodization elements work like a gray filter with a clear center and increasing "grayness" to the edge of the filter.
(2) Exposure wise it is (if it has 1.5 stops transmission) more a f/1.4...1.8 lens because the mentioned gray filter absorbs light and you have to crank up the exposure a little bit.

For ultimate low light capabilty the non-DS version ist the better one IMO.

Upvote 0
How can this be?

Depth-of-field is rendered differently
At wider lens apertures where the Defocus Smoothing effect is visible, for technical reasons, depth-of-field will appear deeper in shots taken with the DS lens, vs. identical shots taken with the RF 85mm F1.2 L USM lens.

At the same focal length, Depth-of-field is dependend only on aperture.

Think of an aperture which is not a straight circle but made from a radially symmetric graduated gray filter - clear in the center, -2 stops on the outside. Light passing through the outer "large aperture region" is muted by the filter and hence it has a smaller effect on the final image. The center portion going through the clear part of the filter has more effect.
The combined effect is a little bit more DOF but the focus transition zones are smoother.

An example of such a filter with 25mm diameter @ 600 USD - so the DS lens is maybe cheaper than buying a similar filter of the right diameter for the non-DS lens while having it on the wrong place :)

Upvote 0
That lenses are excellent, like all the others RF lenses. But... When will release Canon a Eos R "Pro" with IBIS stabilization, 2 SD slots and 4K without crop????!!!!!????!!!!! That´s what every profesional photographer that I know are waiting for. And, by the way... what about a RF 35 mm 1.4 lens????????? 35mm is "The" lens. Come on Canon!!

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
That lenses are excellent, like all the others RF lenses. But... When will release Canon a Eos R "Pro" with IBIS stabilization, 2 SD slots and 4K without crop????!!!!!????!!!!! That´s what every profesional photographer that I know are waiting for. And, by the way... what about a RF 35 mm 1.4 lens????????? 35mm is "The" lens. Come on Canon!!

According to some rumors, we may actually get a 35/1.2 ;)

Upvote 0