Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM, RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and other accessories will be announced soon

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
TO

To add... I wasn't the first to think of this solution. A couple of threads discussing the option below. Summary is:
- Possible to do technically.
- Additional points of failure but would solve the failed card scenario.
- Could increase the latency.
- Could be much more complex/power etc if a RAID server/buffer is the solution vs a FIFO solution.
Nothing on the market at this time but I imagine that there would be some pent up market demand for such a product and probably more than a pro duo card market
Anyone have any contacts at possible manufacturers? :)

It doesn't matter if you've got two microSD cards inserted in it, if the controller in the holder goes south, you're still SOL. That's why most ILCs with two card slots feed each card slot from a different data bus.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Thanks for the explanation, I can imagine it. This filter may in some way function like an aperture. But is not the DS element a radially symmetric graduated gray filter which is not clear in the center, but rather dark in the center? And would a radially Variable ND Filter with a clear center not work like an aperture, producing an image similar to one stopped down, which means with a less pronounced bokeh?

Go back and look at photos taken with the Rodenstock "sink-stopper" almost 100 years ago. This is nothing new, just a slightly different way of getting there.

YJgoW.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I was curious about the 85 DS lens until I saw a little while ago that the coatings cause it to lose 1.5 stops of light transmittance. I'll never own this lens over the non-DS version because of this. A slightly nicer background absolutely isn't worth 1.5 stops of light to me. I'm surprised they even bothered making this lens for the few who will probably choose it over the normal version. But, good on them I guess.

Also really not interested in the extending 70-200. My 70-200 f2.8 II is a tank and works great on the R.

Those to whom the DS lens is aimed use plenty of lights and modifiers in their studios and when shooting on location. The 1.5 stops of light isn't going to force them to raise the ISO, it's just going to require them to increase the output of their strobes from something like 1/8 power to 1/2 -.5 power.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
When a client is paying you to capture unique moments that cannot be repeated, to take risk is not an option. I have to buy a camera that I only should use for details like you said? It´s that a joke? To spend 2000 dollars in a camera with one slot is not an option if you are a wedding photographer and don´t want to take risk. Among other things, because my prestige (and my money should be in risk). And I don´t understand why Canon do it. 2 slot is something really basic in a profesional camera.

Then keep shooting with your 5D Mark IV, 5Ds R, and 1D X Mark II, like most wedding pros are doing.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I agree with you 100%. But I couldn't help myself and now have both. You see, the kids, just growing out of the toddler phase, are running a little farther away now when they see the camera come out, and that extra 15mm makes all the difference.

Just wait until the aliens capture them and leave clones to fill in for them from about age 11 to age 24 when they return the real kids!

You're going to need a lot more focal length!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
"But you seem to be lumping their first production model of mirrorless with ultra mission-critical bodies such as the 1DX." It is not his first production model of mirrorless. They have a lot of experience with mirrorless. In fact, they are Nº 1 seller of mirrorless in Japan (before Eos R). And, I am not talking about "ultra mission-critical bodies as the 1DX". 5D Mark IV have 2 card slots. Canon 90D record in 4K without crop.

But the 5D Mark IV can't do uncropped 4K video (and neither can the 90D because it has a cropped sensor right off the bat), and the 90D does not have two card slots.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Not sure that this will happen... the 5Div did not drop in price once the R was released. Although there might be some cannibalisation the production cost of the EF version would not have changed and Canon will try to maximise profit where possible. Some will prefer the EF version to avoid any weather sealing questions but the RF native should perform better with the new interface... and in the future with IBIS.

Here in the U.S. the 5D Mark IV has had a couple of periods when a promotional price has been lower than it was any time before the R was released. In early summer it was $200 cheaper than it had ever been before from authorized Canon dealers *and* included a free BG-E20 grip ( for which the dealers were compensated by Canon N.A.)!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It doesn't matter if you've got two microSD cards inserted in it, if the controller in the holder goes south, you're still SOL. That's why most ILCs with two card slots feed each card slot from a different data bus.
I beg to differ. If controller in the holder goes south you don’t lose files stored on cards. You won’t be able to write or read to cards via camera.

Upvote 0
I know at least 200 wedding photographers and recently I was in a meeting with almost 50. No one want to spend money in a camera with just 1 slot. It´s ridiculous. What bothers me and I don't understand is why Canon do that. It´s not something that they can´t do. Rome was not built in a day but I am sure that the Colosseum began by having good foundations. Basic should be first. And double slot is something basic for professionals who are being paid to get something that cannot be repeated.

Two card slots isn't an unreasonable request, but the first two R models were clearly not aimed at professional wedding photographers, though they could be used for that purpose despite your reservations. But anyway, my point was I doubt very much *ALL* professionals (your words) are waiting for IBIS *and* 2 card slots *and* uncropped 4K (this last one has already started to appear in the latest Canon cameras, so it's likely to be included in the next R body). Your sweeping statement was an exaggeration, and given this thread isn't even about camera bodies, it was especially unnecessary imho.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Two card slots isn't an unreasonable request, but the first two R models were clearly not aimed at professional wedding photographers, though they could be used for that purpose despite your reservations. But anyway, my point was I doubt very much *ALL* professionals (your words) are waiting for IBIS *and* 2 card slots *and* uncropped 4K (this last one has already started to appear in the latest Canon cameras, so it's likely to be included in the next R body). Your sweeping statement was an exaggeration, and given this thread isn't even about camera bodies, it was especially unnecessary imho.
All this is true, but the original post did make the point that the only cameras now available that can mount an RF lens only have one card slot, so RF lenses aren't much use to someone who uses cameras with two card slots.

Upvote 0
All this is true, but the original post did make the point that the only cameras now available that can mount an RF lens only have one card slot, so RF lenses aren't much use to someone who uses cameras with two card slots.

Sure, but that's why I said Rome wasn't built in a day. They decided to release lower-end bodies first, presumably because they will sell well (and/or didn't feel their tech was up to the professional level/pros would be the last group to switch the mirrorless etc). There's a perceived mismatch in the lenses offered versus the bodies, but maybe they were banking on most early adopters adapting EF lenses, while they announced/released the RF lenses they had ready. Either way, the original comment was a boring repetition of the latest common gripe here, and I reacted accordingly.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Those to whom the DS lens is aimed use plenty of lights and modifiers in their studios and when shooting on location. The 1.5 stops of light isn't going to force them to raise the ISO, it's just going to require them to increase the output of their strobes from something like 1/8 power to 1/2 -.5 power.
this. come think of it: shooting wide open at F1.2 outdoors in full sun, typically will see me shooting at extreme shutter speeds (up to 1/8000) and likely with ND2 - Nd 8 filter on... therefore, 1.5 stop of light loss comes handy. ND filter is no longer required. great! no nd filter = no colourcast.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I beg to differ. If controller in the holder goes south you don’t lose files stored on cards. You won’t be able to write or read to cards via camera.

If if there are two controllers, one is likely to continue functioning.

I could also imagine the controller that is dying, doing so mid-write and corrupting the card in its dying spasm. But maybe there's a good technical reason why that's not possible.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
this. come think of it: shooting wide open at F1.2 outdoors in full sun, typically will see me shooting at extreme shutter speeds (up to 1/8000) and likely with ND2 - Nd 8 filter on... therefore, 1.5 stop of light loss comes handy. ND filter is no longer required. great! no nd filter = no colourcast.
Or you can drop to ISO 50. ;)

Upvote 0
Not sure that this will happen... the 5Div did not drop in price once the R was released. Although there might be some cannibalisation the production cost of the EF version would not have changed and Canon will try to maximise profit where possible. Some will prefer the EF version to avoid any weather sealing questions but the RF native should perform better with the new interface... and in the future with IBIS.
I'm pretty sure this will happen. I have found some great deals on used market over the years because some people always want the latest and greatest.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm not surprised at all, but based on past comments about here there are quite a few people who WILL be surprised. Lots of people around here were holding onto delusional hope that it was internal zoom.
The RF 70-135mm f/2L will be internal zoom. ;) And $4k

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If if there are two controllers, one is likely to continue functioning.

I could also imagine the controller that is dying, doing so mid-write and corrupting the card in its dying spasm. But maybe there's a good technical reason why that's not possible.
Yeah, there is a technical reason we cannot quite figure out what it is. Bummer :)

Upvote 0