Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM in the pipeline [CR1]

May 11, 2017
"cheap". oh well. I would not hold my breath. I expect € 699 MSRP for a Canon RF 85/2.0 IS.

Canon EF 85/1.8 is reasonably priced at € 375, a bit faster, but no IS.
RF 35/1.8 IS = € 549.
Tamron 85/1.8 VC = € 699.
Sony FE 85/1.8 = € 499 - but no IS.
Two "cheap" primes would most likely cost more than th 24-105 f4.

Upvote 0
Oh thank goodness! There's 10 RF lenses on the market already, and still only two 85mm options to chose from. I was starting to become concerned that we wouldn't have choices.

Seriously, though, sarcasm aside. Along with the 85mm f/1.8 rumored to be coming this year? Or in place of it? The concentrated strategy of lens production is a bit surprising to me. It's like, you can have the usual trinity (makes sense) or some f/2.0 zoom exotics, or you can have whichever prime lens you want, as long as it's 85mm. I get that there is more than just that available, but nothing approaching the saturation of that particular focal length. There's 10 native RF lenses available right now, with another on the way. Five of them - nearly half - are either 85mm primes or include 85mm in their zoom range. There's only four prime lenses released, and 50% of them are 85mm lenses.

Do we need another? Sure, we need an option for non-L lens buyers. Do we need it right danged now, before the rest of the lens line is even fleshed out reasonably? That's debatable. I'm all for more consumer-grade lenses, as I have said over and over again that adoption by the broader market is going to drive long-term success, and in turn justify further investment in lens engineering. But I am a little bit stymied that this would precede other more logical options and be released so soon in the consumer lineup. I can talk my way into this making sense as an early consumer grade lens. It just feels, well, too early. Even compared to the pace at which it was released in the L lineup.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Will we have any new EF-S lenses or entry level crop DSLRs in the foreseable future? Currently I don't have the money to buy new mirrorless cameras and RF lenses but a cheap EF-S 70-200 f/2.8 and a 1200D Mark II with a (Digic 6 or) newer processor would be great. :)
I'm afraid you'll either get cheap or f/2.8 in any Canon zoom lens.

Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
I have been complaining about the lack of basic f2 primes for years, maybe decades. Nikon and Leica made their names on f2 primes. Canon followed suit in the days of the FTb. Nikon currently has a series of G primes at f2. It would make sense for canon to produce at least a few in this huge void. I would buy a 28 and 85 immediately. Maybe a 20mm. I have the current 20mm 2.8, garbage lens. I had 2x 50mm 1.4, not great, my 50mm STM out performs the 1.4. I have had the current 85mm 1.8 since the mid 1990s and it is still a decent lens today, but it is time for a refresh!! The current 35mm f2 is very sharp, they did that well. They need to wake the &^%$ up and relaize the entire world does not want to walk around with an f1.0 massive chunk of glass!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I have been complaining about the lack of basic f2 primes for years, maybe decades. Nikon and Leica made their names on f2 primes. Canon followed suit in the days of the FTb. Nikon currently has a series of G primes at f2. It would make sense for canon to produce at least a few in this huge void. I would buy a 28 and 85 immediately. Maybe a 20mm. I have the current 20mm 2.8, garbage lens. I had 2x 50mm 1.4, not great, my 50mm STM out performs the 1.4. I have had the current 85mm 1.8 since the mid 1990s and it is still a decent lens today, but it is time for a refresh!! The current 35mm f2 is very sharp, they did that well. They need to wake the &^%$ up and relaize the entire world does not want to walk around with an f1.0 massive chunk of glass!
Once again, get IS out of
But you end up with better photos than the snapshot look that you'll get from a slow standard zoom
snapshot look/slow standard zoom. This is what you're calling the 24-105 f/4L ll ? Interesting. You know, there is that saying..."In the right hands..."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
But you end up with better photos than the snapshot look that you'll get from a slow standard zoom

You would be revealing a pretty low level of competence if you are claiming the 24-105 f/4 is anything less than an excellent, professional level lens. I'm always surprised by the lack of regard the lens gets here, though, so you wouldn't be alone. Look back through the past 20 years--and even this year!--of PPA magazine to see how often the lens was used for their cover photos. And if you could get your hands on a copy of any year's Loan Collection, you'd see how often it is used for award winning photos. Landscape and nature photographers have been using it as a reliable and amazingly flexible lens for years also.

You were just being flip, right? A little tongue and cheek to be provactive? ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
You would be revealing a pretty low level of competence if you are claiming the 24-105 f/4 is anything less than an excellent, professional level lens. I'm always surprised by the lack of regard the lens gets here, though, so you wouldn't be alone. Look back through the past 20 years--and even this year!--of PPA magazine to see how often the lens was used for their cover photos. And if you could get your hands on a copy of any year's Loan Collection, you'd see how often it is used for award winning photos. Landscape and nature photographers have been using it as a reliable and amazingly flexible lens for years also.

You were just being flip, right? A little tongue and cheek to be provactive? ;)

THANK YOU!

Upvote 0

jonbenz

Canon EOS 6D/70D
May 31, 2018
28th years to give it IS but to remove 1/3rd of a stop and an ok autofocus system?

Is this the "Revolution" of the R mount? or R stands for "maRketing"?

I would expect at least, the same specs the past lens had but with real improvements (e.i RF 85mm f1.8 IS USM)

And don't get me wrong, I understand there are improvements on, for example, better edges of the frame, better contrast, but maybe they shouldn't have changed the mount for that.

Let's hope this CR1 is just that, a CR1.

Upvote 0