Canon RF lens specifications

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
By using the touch screen as the track pad. It is very easy you just touch on the area you want to focus camera will focus on that area. You can also move the AF focus area by moving you finger on the LCD screen. BTW one cannot select an individual AF point in mirrorless like in a DSLR. That was a surprise for me when I got the EOS M3 and later I found the same is true in Sony a 6300, 6500. A9 & A7r3. you can select the area instead which will obviously have more than one AF point. That's where the Eye AF shines. You do not have to select the eye to focus just press the button camera will detect the eye and focus on it. In my experience eye AF very rarely (like .25% may be) fails on the A7r3. I have not used A9 for portraits much so I would not comment on that.
You can focus like that using 5DMkiv and 200D (SL2) too....

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
By using the touch screen as the track pad. It is very easy you just touch on the area you want to focus camera will focus on that area. You can also move the AF focus area by moving you finger on the LCD screen. BTW one cannot select an individual AF point in mirrorless like in a DSLR. That was a surprise for me when I got the EOS M3 and later I found the same is true in Sony a 6300, 6500. A9 & A7r3. you can select the area instead which will obviously have more than one AF point. That's where the Eye AF shines. You do not have to select the eye to focus just press the button camera will detect the eye and focus on it. In my experience eye AF very rarely (like .25% may be) fails on the A7r3. I have not used A9 for portraits much so I would not comment on that.
Sure, but at least on a 5DIV you need the left hand to operate the touch screen. Face and/or Eye AF is cool but I'd not rely on it for everything. I hope there is an additional/better way.

Upvote 0
sounds like you 2 would complain about anything Canon would release. Just be happy that Canon is bringing something exciting to the table here.
im not complaining. I am excited about the camera. I don't think it will have the same impact as the Sony or the Nikon Z because it has 15MP less but if the price is under $2K then it will be a winner. I think Canon can do it.
But 3 pounds for a lens that goes on a small body is bad. I don't care what brand it is.
I hope the specs are wrong about the weight. The lenses certainly look smaller than the EF ones but an F/2 lens is pprobably needs more heavy glass inside... I don't know.

Upvote 0
Sure, but at least on a 5DIV you need the left hand to operate the touch screen. Face and/or Eye AF is cool but I'd not rely on it for everything. I hope there is an additional/better way.
yes, On the A7RIII you can have expansion focus on S, M and L so it is basically one AF point that you can move around easily.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016

Not sure I follow you... why would you have to use the left hand to operate the touch screen unless you are a left handed user? I very rarely use my left hand when the camera is on a tripod but most of the times I hold the camera with lens on my left hand and use right hand for all other operations. I thought that's how most people use no?

Left hand users please don't take it as an offense. I understand your pain as almost all cameras are designed to be used by right hand users. It will be cool someone can com up with a design that a camera can be customized to be used by both right hand and left hand users.

Why would you not use a feature if that is pretty accurate most of the times?

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Not sure I follow you... why would you have to use the left hand to operate the touch screen unless you are a left handed user? I very rarely use my left hand when the camera is on a tripod but most of the times I hold the camera with lens on my left hand and use right hand for all other operations. I thought that's how most people use no?

Left hand users please don't take it as an offense. I understand your pain as almost all cameras are designed to be used by right hand users. It will be cool someone can com up with a design that a camera can be customized to be used by both right hand and left hand users.

Why would you not use a feature if that is pretty accurate most of the times?

Agreed for tripod and liveview shooting in general. I was thinking more when the camera is up on your eye and you need to adjust AF points (or area) on the fly. Typically you have the left hand on the lens and the right hand on the cam. Reading the spec-pdf, the idea seems to be use the cross keys in this situation. I very much prefer a 5D type joystick but this is workable..

For me, an intuitive and fast operation of the AF (point/area selection, AF mode - point/area/face, and AF shot/servo switch) is a make or break. Needless to say that the 5DIV does a hell of a job..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

Perhaps it is a matter of semantics, as some (all?) the mirrorless cameras use every pixel for focusing information, but the Canon M5 and M50 and all the mirrorless cameras I have used have individual, selectable AF points. My M5 has 49 AF points, I believe the M50 has a maximum of 143 (with some lenses) and 99 on others. My guess is the 5,000 plus AF points mentioned in the specs is not the amount of single, selectable points as that would be totally unwieldy.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Seeing the weight and size of the 50, I wish they had gone for a 50 f/1.4 and kept it around or under 500 g

+1! Seeing the size and weight on the 50L killed my GAS for EOS R. If I ever invest in a mirrorless FF system, I will take Nikons offering into serious consideration.

I hope Canon release a road map for intended lens releases, as Nikon did.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Perhaps it is a matter of semantics, as some (all?) the mirrorless cameras use every pixel for focusing information, but the Canon M5 and M50 and all the mirrorless cameras I have used have individual, selectable AF points. My M5 has 49 AF points, I believe the M50 has a maximum of 143 (with some lenses) and 99 on others. My guess is the 5,000 plus AF points mentioned in the specs is not the amount of single, selectable points as that would be totally unwieldy.

If you are saying you can select the 49 focus point individually on your M5 I doubt it. I only had if for a few months and do not have it anymore to condfirm but if my memory serves me well there was an option to pick 1 point AF and then there was an option to say how big you want you AF selection area is. The 1 point AF is not really 1 point AF i.e. a single AF point is not selectable like a DSLR. The same was true on M3. I am pretty sure about this on M3 because I was looking for it when I could not fin it I called up canon support and they confirmed that the individual AF points are not select able in M3. Also I faced terrible shutter lag with M3. Those are the 2 reaons I returned the M3.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Here's a thought.

If this is the "enthusiast level" mirrorless DSLR and we'll see a future "pro level DSLR" is there any chance at all that it WON'T be RF mount?

The 28-70 f/2 seems a might impressive lens to be limited to an enthusiast mount.

I think we can safely say there won't be any FF mirrorless cameras with native EF mount ever.

Upvote 0
+1! Seeing the size and weight on the 50L killed my GAS for EOS R. If I ever invest in a mirrorless FF system, I will take Nikons offering into serious consideration.

I hope Canon release a road map for intended lens releases, as Nikon did.

Which is why these seem like odd choices for initial lens releases, the 35mm F/1.8 yeah that looks like exactly the kind of lens a lot of buyers would be after(moreso than Sony's under speced 35mm F/2.8) but the 28-70mm F/2 and 50mm F/1.2? hardly lenses to show off size saving are they? even the 24-105mm F/4 is notable larger and heavier than Nikon's 24-70mm F/4 kit lens.

WIth mirrorless even moreso than DSLR's I think you really have a core lineup of lenses, the desire to save weight tends to push people towards more compact UWA/normal zooms and sub F/1.4 primes. Part of the reason Canon overturned Sony at APSC was IMHO that they did the core lens lineup better/cheaper so the lack of overall choice didn't matter as much. I think Sony have the same weakness at FF, they tended to release lower quality compact lenses hoping to drive sales of larger more expensive ones but a lot of people want quality in a smaller package.

I'm guessing this can't just be repurposed potential EF designs given the smaller flange distance? maybe Canon is was working on a raft of designs but shifted forward release date to meet Nikon and just went with the ones that were ready?

Upvote 0