Canon RF lens specifications

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
28-70 is 3.15 pounds?
The weight saving idea went out the window.
The lens might need to be that big to be f/2, but it kind of misses the mark for the first go round of releases.
A compact f/2.8 might have been more appropriate.

What's nuts? This thing weights just half a pound more than the Sigma 85mm Art lens.

I think they're doing something nobody has ever done and making a statement with this lens. Unlike Nikon boasting about the benefits of their new mount and how it will allow for incredibly bright lenses....then not producing anything fast for 3 years (other than the single manual focus Noct 58mm f/.95 lens), Canon is knocking it out of the park with a lens nobody has ever seen before - if true. The weight is still less than a 70-200 f/2.8L II IS USM (3.28lbs), and I frequently wear that on my camera for an entire day. Is it ideal? No...but it's going to be really great for weddings and low light. Hopefully the adapted lenses work just as well as they do on the EOS-M mount and I can put adapt my 24-70 f/2.8 on for most shoots and then bring the 28-70 f/2 to weddings or when I want a different look. Heck...I could end up falling in love with this thing.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
This is the first MILC offering with glass that fills a niche previously untouched AND that is very desirable. That 28-70 f2 is going to be very attractive to event shooters/wedding shooters, especially if the price is in the 2k range. That lens alone will push sales of the EOS R

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
EOS R specs are out too. Sounds nothing like typical Canon... Well at least so far. look at the AF points it is crazy....

Canon "EOS R" spec sheet released
Canon 'EOS R' spec sheet has been posted on overseas news websites.
EOS R

specification sheet
Number of effective pixels: 30.3 million pixels (Total number of pixels: 31.7 million pixels)
Image type: JPEG, RAW (14 bit), C-RAW
Dual pixel RAW support
EVF: organic EL, 0.71 times
AF point (when cross key is selected): 5,655 points
Distance measurement range: EV - 6 to 18 (23 ° C at room temperature · ISO 100 with F1.2 lens)
ISO sensitivity: 100 to 40000 (extended ISO: 50, 51200, 102400)
Shutter speed: 1/8000 to 30 seconds, valve
Continuous shooting performance: Up to 8 frames per second (at servo AF: up to 5 frames / sec)
Video: 4K30p, full HD 60p, HD 120p
Rear liquid crystal: 3.15 type 2.1 million dots touch panel
Battery: LP - E 6 N / LP - E 6 (LP - E 6 can not charge the camera USB)
Recording medium: SD / SDHC / SDXC card
Size: 135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4 mm
Weight: 660 g (including battery / memory card) · 580 g (body only)
.. how do you select all those af points without joysick?

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Right, so the RF 35/1.8 IS a touch lighter than the EF 35/2 IS, and RF 24-105/4L IS is a bit lighter than the EF 24-105/4L IS II (although a fraction heavier than the EF 24-105/4L IS) ... and the RF 28-70/2L and RF 50 1.2L are fairly heavy lenses. Unsurprising for their specs given they are all FF lenses (and what we've seen other brands), but again it has me questioning whether FF mirrorless really has much of a weight or size advantage over DSLR ... and assuming it doesn't, what the big deal is about FF mirrorless.

I understand mirrorless may offer some other benefits over DSLR, but DSLR offers some benefits of [edit: over] mirrorless too (depending on what features you value, eg I am yet to see an EVF I like as much as an OVF although I realise others prefer EVF).

I will be interested to hear more about the EOS R and the RF lenses as information becomes available, but at this point personally I'm not feeling a likely buyer for the EOS R (at least any time soon).

You save weight on the body, not the lens.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
.. how do you select all those af points without joysick?

By using the touch screen as the track pad. It is very easy you just touch on the area you want to focus camera will focus on that area. You can also move the AF focus area by moving you finger on the LCD screen. BTW one cannot select an individual AF point in mirrorless like in a DSLR. That was a surprise for me when I got the EOS M3 and later I found the same is true in Sony a 6300, 6500. A9 & A7r3. you can select the area instead which will obviously have more than one AF point. That's where the Eye AF shines. You do not have to select the eye to focus just press the button camera will detect the eye and focus on it. In my experience eye AF very rarely (like .25% may be) fails on the A7r3. I have not used A9 for portraits much so I would not comment on that.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
For 24-105: Size is not that much different, so... Will the new 24-105 perform better than the previous models? is the key question, tbd empirically.

• EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens Construction 18 elements in 13 groups (canonusa)
  • EF 24–105mm f4/L IS II USM’s new optical composition includes 17 elements in 12 groups (canonusa)
  • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens construction: 14 groups 18 pieces (from this rumor spec)

New optical formula, new design opportunity via RF mount = better optical performance??? Very much interested in the test results on this question, but it will be a while until we know.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
You save weight on the body, not the lens.
Sure, but how much? And at what point does saving weight on the body lead to ergonomic problems / lenses feeling unbalanced on the body?

I will be interested to hear what people think after they've had actually got to shoot with the EOS R and the RF 50/1.2 and the RF 28-70/2L. Maybe it will turn out to work well ... but I remain to be convinced.

Upvote 0
Calling BS on the weights of the RF 50mm f/1.2 (and maybe the 28-70 f/2)

The EF 50 1.2 only weighs 580g!

The recently announced HD Pentax-D FA★ 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW weighs 910g (950g for the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2) and it's a f/1.4 lens, not f/1.2.

Highly-corrected and heavy lenses with many elements is the current trend.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So the 35mm isn’t a true 1:1 macro right? 17cm MFD seems long

The 35mm IS has MFD of 24cm

Good question. Perhaps 1:2?

(...)

- A

Indeed, the Canon RF 35 mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM is probably a 1:2 macro lens. The HD Pentax-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited, which is a 1:1 macro lens, has a minimum focusing distance of 14cm (RF: 17cm).

Upvote 0
28-70... 3 pounds for a lens that will go on a tiny camera with a skinny grip? How are you expected to grab the camera with one hand? The EF 24-70 -2.8 II is half the weight and it is heavy already. I have the unbalanced problem with the Sony A7r iii and the 24-70 being too heavy for the body and it's only 2 pounds!

The 28-70/2 is not supposed to be on the EOS R. I am 100% sure there's more to be announced on tuesday.

Upvote 0
It could be a switch. It could be an artifact.

If it’s a switch, it could be Lens IS on/off. I could be body IS on/off. It could affect how the rings work. It could a lot of things :)
Seems strange that there's the same artefact on three lenses and not on the fourth, especially because 2 of those three are pretty sure to have IS and the fourth is pretty sure to not. :>

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I know.

But I was hoping to buy that combo for my wife and I think she will be disappointed by the 25% gain in weight.

There is no gain in weight because Canon have never done a 28-70 f/2.0 lens before. It's like switching from the 70-200 f/4 to the 70-200 f/2.8 - gain in capabilities at the cost of higher weight.

Upvote 0