Canon RF lens specifications

Right, so the RF 35/1.8 IS a touch lighter than the EF 35/2 IS, and RF 24-105/4L IS is a bit lighter than the EF 24-105/4L IS II (although a fraction heavier than the EF 24-105/4L IS) ... and the RF 28-70/2L and RF 50 1.2L are fairly heavy lenses. Unsurprising for their specs given they are all FF lenses (and what we've seen other brands), but again it has me questioning whether FF mirrorless really has much of a weight or size advantage over DSLR ... and assuming it doesn't, what the big deal is about FF mirrorless.

I understand mirrorless may offer some other benefits over DSLR, but DSLR offers some benefits of [edit: over] mirrorless too (depending on what features you value, eg I am yet to see an EVF I like as much as an OVF although I realise others prefer EVF).

I will be interested to hear more about the EOS R and the RF lenses as information becomes available, but at this point personally I'm not feeling a likely buyer for the EOS R (at least any time soon).

~~~
I, I, I, too many uses of "I."

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Canon stressed the new mount allows for new high-performance lens designs, not small light lenses. That's probably why there's no compatibility with the EF-M mount which is designed for small/light lenses.

IMHO some smaller and lighter lenses will come, but from a PR perspective, they would have not been the right choice for the launch - imagine the "umpf!" if Canon had announced the camera with a 50/2 and a 28-85/3.5-5.6... even if they were the lightest and smaller lenses ever designed.

Asserting the capability of the new lenses from the beginning was a smart move, even if the first R camera is certainly not the highest-end model, as usual with Canon when a new line is released.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Canon stressed the new mount allows for new high-performance lens designs, not small light lenses. That's probably why there's no compatibility with the EF-M mount which is designed for small/light lenses.

IMHO some smaller and lighter lenses will come, but from a PR perspective, they would have not been the right choice for the launch - imagine the "umpf!" if Canon had announced the camera with a 50/2 and a 28-85/3.5-5.6... even if they were the lightest and smaller lenses ever designed.

Asserting the capability of the new lenses from the beginning was a smart move, even if the first R camera is certainly not the highest-end model, as usual with Canon when a new line is released.

That's my sense also.

Jack

Upvote 0