Canon RP Thread

Act444

EOS 6D MK II
May 4, 2011
I personally think Canon should have released more compact RF lenses (or at least revealed a roadmap containing several compact lenses) before announcing the RP. I can only think of three lenses that suit its size well: the native RF 35, the adapter + 40 2.8, and the adapter + 50 1.8.

The RP desperately needs a compact 28-70 zoom lens (or similar) to pair with. The 24-240 is fine but still not size-friendly. May as well put that on the bigger R, would balance better too.

I would probably get one if there were more compact use options. Probably not worth it just for the 35mm.

koenkooi

EOS 7D MK II
Feb 25, 2015
I personally think Canon should have released more compact RF lenses (or at least revealed a roadmap containing several compact lenses) before announcing the RP. I can only think of three lenses that suit its size well: the native RF 35, the adapter + 40 2.8, and the adapter + 50 1.8.

The RP desperately needs a compact 28-70 zoom lens (or similar) to pair with. The 24-240 is fine but still not size-friendly. May as well put that on the bigger R, would balance better too.

I would probably get one if there were more compact use options. Probably not worth it just for the 35mm.
The 85 f/1.8 + adapter is a nice fit as well. It's longer, but still fairly narrow. I'm hoping for an RF85/1.8 and RF50/1.8 with similar performance as the RF35. They can drop the 'macro' feature, though.

SaP34US

EOS T7i
Aug 21, 2018
I am hoping to buy a RP between November or December if Holiday discounts are good enough or more like about this time next year.
Right now for the holiday sales $500 rebate on lenses if they were have a 2 lens kit with 35mm and 24-240mm with both the ef-rf adapter and the grip extender. If with the standard with 24-240mm lens kit $200-300 rebate.

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
Sep 8, 2012
FWIW, my use of the RP has been travel. Agree that it is not ideal for BIF. As far as color rendition goes, here's a recent image rendered through LR with Adobe Landscape/Daylight settings than a "tweak" using the eyedropper on one of the background light stains on the rock. This was using the EF 100-400 mkii with the EF/RF adapter. Only other post was some cropping. Overall I am pretty pleased with this camera.

I've noticed some pros and cons on a recent trekking trip in Scotland and my comments are on another thread here.......

Attachments

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D SR
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
I appreciate you started this thread, CanonFanBoy, and I look forward to read about your real life experience with your RP. I still struggle with myself whether I should add an R or RP to my already far too extended gear... If you go for street shooting with your RP or do macros, I am particularly interested in your comments. For me, the RP offers two nice features worth considering it: small form factor, so with a smaller lens it should be less intrusive for people, and focus stacking (I wonder why Canon did not include focus stacking in the EOS R).
Went with the R.

JohanCruyff

EOS RP
Aug 9, 2012
Milano, Italy
Honestly, I had hoped for better. Having said that, I had not planned on the R replacing my 1D X, and the latter remains my go-to camera. I bought the R as a travel camera, and it's been great for that use. Birds were just an opportunistic subject on a family trip last month, kids were playing at the beach on Prince Edward Island. But I was disappointed that the R could not AF on lone seagulls or cormorants gliding past against a clear blue sky.
Thank you for your feedback, Neuro. That's a bit disappointig.
I know birds-in-flight are among the hardest challenges for a camera's autofocus, but you mentioned seagulls, ad I remember being able to track seagulls even with my ancient 5D classic + 70-200 F/4 L.
And with my present 6D (classic) + 100-400 II L, I made a test and I could even get a few shots of a fast flying swallow in focus (again, with a clear sky as a background).

Let's hope the new firmware - to be released at the end of September - will improve this.