Canon Rumors is Off to Tanzania

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
dslrdummy said:
I'd be interested to hear how much use you get from the Q given all your other gear.

I'll have a day in Arusha for some street and market stuff, which it will get used for. It will get used a fair bit, being that it's my favourite camera ever. I love 28mm.

The Sofort (Instax) will get used daily for a little project I'll be doing with it.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
dslrdummy said:
I'd be interested to hear how much use you get from the Q given all your other gear.

I'll have a day in Arusha for some street and market stuff, which it will get used for. It will get used a fair bit, being that it's my favourite camera ever. I love 28mm.
Yeah, I'm saving for it. Safe travels.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Canon Rumors said:
Starting tomorrow, March 2 at about 6:10PM, I’ll be off to Tanzania for a migration photo safari until March 14th. I’ll be heading there with some very experienced photo friends, so it should be a fantastic trip.</p>
<p>The quality of cell coverage may be lacking or erratic and as such I’ve decided to disconnect from the site while I’m away, I haven’t had an actual vacation from Canon Rumors in the over 10 years that the site has existed. I’m not sure I want to, but I’ll give it a go.</p>
<p><a href="https://www.canonnews.com/">Richard from Canon News</a> has been gracious enough to help keep the site content coming. He has free reign to post whatever he wants, so the site could take a bit of a turn while I’m off the grid, and I think that’ll work out just fine.</p>
<p>Be nice to Richard. As for the forum, our terrific forum administrators will keep doing what they do.</p>
<p>I’ll see you when I see you.</p>
<p>Oh, this is a gear site, so here’s the gear I’m bringing. Everyone has opinions of what to bring, but based on past experiences, this should do me just fine. I still may axe bringing one of the wide angle zooms.</p>
<p><strong>Cameras:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Canon EOS-1D X Mark II</li>
<li>Canon EOS-1D X Mark II</li>
<li>Canon EOS 6D Mark II</li>
<li>Leica Q</li>
<li>Leica Sofort</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Lenses:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS</li>
<li>Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS</li>
<li>Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS</li>
<li>Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4x</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Miscellaneous:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Leica Ultravid 8×42</li>
<li>Google Pixel 2 XL</li>
<li>Microsoft Surface Pro</li>
<li>Think Tank Photo Airport Accelerator</li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Have a great time.
Just thinking, with all that gear, you will be exceeding your weight limit. Hope you took a safari vest.
Enjoy for those of us who can only wish we were there.
sek

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
I rented a 2nd one from Canon Canada CPS. I firmly believe you need two identical camera bodies for trips like this for efficiency.
I'm in your camp about the necessity for two identical bodies, and ones with which you're familiar. There's all too great a chance to miss THE shot of the trip when you're fumbling with controls.
But, I'm a little surprised you're not bringing along a 70-200/2.8. I know with the 1DX II bodies you can really crank up the ISO, but there's something to be said for the look you get with fast glass. I suppose, in your case, the extra length at the long end outweighs its benefits.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Hector1970 said:
Bring something you can wrap around your head to stop Tsetse flies biting you. They are very annoying.
You are bringing all that gear and not something like the Sigma 14mm 1.8. Great place for stars and milkyway photos. Tanzania is amazingly beautiful. Mobile coverage might surprise you. It's extending all the time.

Agreed!

Don't forget to look up at the night sky- it is amazing! I believe that this is the wet season, so hopefully will get some clear skies.
sek

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Canon Rumors said:
dslrdummy said:

The Sofort (Instax) will get used daily for a little project I'll be doing with it.

There are some awesome street markets. Be sure to go with a guide to keep a lookout. They are a bit scary so you want someone to watch your back. There are also some very interesting mosques with all that that entails, so you will get some awesome shots.

Upvote 0
This is definitely a gearhead site! He knows exactly what he wants/needs and people are telling him he made the wrong choice. :eek: The irony is the suggestions are on the opposite end of the spectrum. 400 w 1.4 is not long enough - you need 600. But also 16 is not wide enough - you need 11-24. I think he should have messed with everyone and said he was only taking a Rebel and a 50mm lens to enjoy the experience without having to fumble with camera gear. ;D

Upvote 0