Canon S100 vs. Olympus xz-1

Trying decide on a great pocket cam and backup to my dslr's when on a job, want RAW, gps, panorama

• Canon Powershot s100

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Olympus xz-1

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Canon G12 - but really looking for something pocketable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jangelo

Trying decide on a great pocket cam and backup to my dslr's when on a job, want RAW, gps, best possible low light, and I love shooting panorama in camera. That's the only thing I think holding me back from the s100. Rad dpreview.com on both cameras. Not sure of size of Olympus but want the better lens and panorama. Powershot is better on size and fit, but just not sure what I can't make a decision.... Ahhhhhh help!

Nick Gombinsky

Workaholic and alcoholic
Apr 27, 2011
Buenos Aires
Having used mainly Canon gera in the past 10 years, I had the XZ-1 and had to sell it, because I didn't like the handling. I felt there was something between me and the picture I wanted to take -- the camera. There was always something I had to adjust and that something just wasn't easy to change. It bugged me a lot. Image quality is awesome though, and the lens rocks.
On a side note, the JPEG engine really messes the picture up by too much noise reduction.

I'd recommend you the Fujifilm X10, it costs a bit more, but it seems to be the best compact yet. Just try to get the new ones with the sensor fix.

Upvote 0
May 22, 2011
I love my S95, and the low light performance of the S100 is even better, from what I've seen. Not sure if CHDK works with the S100, but I'm using it on the S95 and it's very nifty. I can now do timelapse videos using a sequence of RAW photos, which I hope to be adding to my wedding videos at some point. Need to do more testing but here's one I prepared earlier:

http://youtu.be/zRwBMbJbY-s

There are much nicer sequences on youtube. I was mostly testing battery life, RAW quality and reliability.

Upvote 0
I bought the XZ-1 for my wife last year just before a family holiday, to replace an old Minolta S-414 (which was junk in my opinion despite some favorable reviews). At the time we were comparing against the S95, and the XZ-1 had just come on the market. Based on reviews I had already decided to get the Canon, and only found out about the XZ-1 at the last minute. I tracked down the only store in town that had one in stock and bought it the same day.

The XZ-1 is an awesome compact camera. The image quality never ceases to amaze me. What really swayed me over the S95 was the lens - f/1.8 at the wide end and still f/2.5 at full tele. The S95 was almost as fast wide, but shrank to a mediocre f/4.9 zoomed in. I thought that might make the difference between a shot and no shot in some conditions. The Olympus has a little more reach than the older Canon too. The macro capabilities of this camera are also excellent, AF seems to work well, and it exposes more consistently than my 5D2.

Now, had the S100 been on the shelves when we made this purchase, we might have made a different choice. The extra range of the zoom, especially the availability of 24mm equivalent WA, might have tilted the balance. (The Canon is still dog slow at the long end though - now up to f/5.9 :eek: ). But my wife actually preferred the handling of the S95, it was my daughter and I who talked her into the XZ-1. So if I was buying another and the size was an issue, I would definitely to a serious look at the S100. We've been extremely happy with the Olympus though, and I have no regrets.

I'd agree that the user interface is not the best. We got ours stuck in some funky picture mode and it took quite a bit of scouring through the manual to figure out how to get it back to normal. A point-and-shoot camera, even a high-end one with lots of features, just shouldn't be that hard to use.

It is also a bit on the bulky side compared to the Canon offerings. Not usually a problem for us, as it is usually hanging from someone's neck or tucked into a compact shoulder bag. But if you want a camera that really could be stuffed in a pocket, the XZ-1 would not fit the bill as Neuro said.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jangelo said:
Thanks for the information... this has been very helpful.. I've decided to place my investment in the s100. I think in the long run, I'm truly looking for this size and features. After review images and reviews online, I'm confident I've made the right decision.

I can certainly say I'm quite happy with my S100!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.