Canon said to have scrapped at least one DSLR in development [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’re told that Canon has scrapped development of at least one DSLR in favour of a mirrorless option. We weren’t told which potential DSLR has been scrapped, but it sounds plausible.
The same source said to expect 3 new APS-C DSLRs in 2019, but not to expect any full-frame EOS DSLR bodies next year. Though it was mentioned that the follow-up to the EOS-1D X Mark II is well on its way in its development, but not to expect the new camera until 2020 ahead of the Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan.

It was also claimed that Canon recently showed a roadmap in a marketing meeting that listed 3 unreleased EOS R bodies, along with 5 RF lenses. All of these were listed to arrive before Q2 2020. Though it’s noted the date range for the announcements was quite broad.
As for the DSLR that was potentially scrapped during development? We’d put our money on the EOS 5DS line of bodies. We really don’t think a DSLR sequel is coming for that series and that we’ll get an EOS R body instead.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
How about the 6D series? Will we ever see a new version?
I pretty much believe that the currently released first EOS-R camera that just came out *IS* the 6D mirror slapper replacement.<P>
Damn...I was hoping for something "R" related release next year that was a bit higher on the totem pole for a replacement for my slightly aging 5D3.
:(

cayenne

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I doubt we'll see a new generation of the 6D as a DSLR. Honestly that's the last camera I would ever expect to see as a DSLR when it comes time for its next iteration.

The current generation came out not very long ago, so once it's time for a 6D III, we'll be well into a time when mirrorless has taken over. Once it's time for Canon to make a 6D III, it will look almost foolish for it to still be a DSLR.

Combined with that, it seems to me like the 6D is a perfect candidate to change to mirrorless. It's never been billed as an all-out professional camera, so any viewfinder lag or other things that Canon is still working through is forgivable in a camera that's not designed to be a professional product.

Heck, depending on who you ask, the EOS R is already basically a mirrorless 6D level camera. (Honestly I like to give it more credit than that since it's packing a better sensor, but the lack of 5D level controls does bug me, so I understand people who say it's more of a 6D level camera.)

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
I pretty much believe that the currently released first EOS-R camera that just came out *IS* the 6D mirror slapper replacement.<P>
Damn...I was hoping for something "R" related release next year that was a bit higher on the totem pole for a replacement for my slightly aging 5D3.
:(

cayenne
The 5DIV will have some killer kit deals the entire holiday season, and is a very good camera

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
How about the 6D series? Will we ever see a new version?
The 6D MK II is still a fairly new version. Any new version will depend on the sales of the EOS R, and seems unlikely to me. I'd say that its the most likely version in current development to have been scrapped before too much money was invested.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
The 5DIV will have some killer kit deals the entire holiday season, and is a very good camera

Yeah, I've already been seeing some pricing on that, but I really was hoping if timing would work...I'd transition straight off the 5D3 to the EOS-R platform.
I pretty much have almost every lens I'd ever want, except for a 50L lens...and that 50R lens looks sweet.....so a 5D4 kit wouldn't do much for me.

I'd be getting body only. Of course I'll keep the 5D3 to use as my second camera, and make life easier shooting concerts with 2 cameras rather than having to do quick lens swaps in the open...!!

I would likely go for the new EOS-R, but with only 1 card slot....and other things that seem less than the "5" level camera, I was hoping for something a bit more pro coming in the "R" line in 2019.

Not sure why Canon is shooing for 2 lower level R cameras, rather than maybe one below the current one and one above the current one...???

C

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
hehe, i hope they scrapped more than just 1 DSLR in favor of mirrorfree ...

5Ds/R II >> "EOS R5 Pro", hi-rez sensor model (60MP?)
6D II >> "EOS R6" same as R in smaller body, without top LCD and at much lower price :)
5D V >> "EOS R Mk. II", with decent fps even in Servo-shooting priority AF, decent 4k specs, improved UI/control points
1D-X III >> "EOS 1R" ... 2020 Olympic killer beast leaving "Nikon Z8" and "Sony A10" in the dust :)
78D, 90D >> "EOS M5 II"
EOS 7D III >> "EOS M7" slightly larger + wheathersealed body, LP-E6N battery, more DIGIC power for more fps and (even) better AF than "M5 II"
"all Rebels xxxD" >> "EOS M60" - further improved, same price, successor to M50
"all Rebels xxxD / SL-" >> "EOS M 200" - successor to M100

So I'd say all of their DSLRs could, should and hopefully will be scrapped and replaced by mirrorfree cameras.
(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
Not sure why Canon is shooing for 2 lower level R cameras, rather than maybe one below the current one and one above the current one...???

i expect the 3 unreleased R bodies to come in as:
1. "EOS R6 "entry level, slightly lower spec than EOS R at much lower price"
2. "EOS R5S" - hi-rez pro model
3. "EOS R1" - mirrorfree 1D-X III beast

Upvote 0
I doubt we'll see a new generation of the 6D as a DSLR. Honestly that's the last camera I would ever expect to see as a DSLR when it comes time for its next iteration.

The current generation came out not very long ago, so once it's time for a 6D III, we'll be well into a time when mirrorless has taken over. Once it's time for Canon to make a 6D III, it will look almost foolish for it to still be a DSLR.

Combined with that, it seems to me like the 6D is a perfect candidate to change to mirrorless. It's never been billed as an all-out professional camera, so any viewfinder lag or other things that Canon is still working through is forgivable in a camera that's not designed to be a professional product.

Heck, depending on who you ask, the EOS R is already basically a mirrorless 6D level camera. (Honestly I like to give it more credit than that since it's packing a better sensor, but the lack of 5D level controls does bug me, so I understand people who say it's more of a 6D level camera.)

Also because the 6D is the entry level FF DSLR. If Canon wants to promote their mirrorless FF, then the obvious move is to "move" the entry FF from DSLR to mirrorless.

Upvote 0
I'm happy to leave mirrors behind. Got an R to replace my 5Dii which was a backup to the 5Div I still use as my primary. Same image quality now between bodies. And I love it, btw...

And all the EF lenses I depend on are 10 years old or getting there, so I'm anxious to see new improved RF replacements. Wide TS lenses in particular.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

6D II >> "EOS R6" same as R in smaller body, without top LCD and at much lower price :)
5D V >> "EOS R Mk. II", with decent fps even in Servo-shooting priority AF, decent 4k specs, improved UI/control points
1D-X III >> "EOS 1R" ... 2020 Olympic killer beast leaving "Nikon Z8" and "Sony A10" in the dust :)
78D, 90D >> "EOS M5 II"
EOS 7D III >> "EOS M7" slightly larger + wheathersealed body, LP-E6N battery, more DIGIC power for more fps and (even) better AF than "M5 II"

So I'd say all of their DSLRs could, should and hopefully will be scrapped and replaced by mirrorfree cameras.
(y)(y)(y)
You just keep coming back.

Upvote 0

78D, 90D >> "EOS M5 II"

(y)(y)(y)

Not sure why the hate for DSLRs. There are still people who would still buy them.

Upvote 0