Canon said to have scrapped at least one DSLR in development [CR2]

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I was of the thought, that this first EOS-R *IS* the mirrorless replacement for the 6D.....? It doesn't seem to be beefy enough to be the replacement for the 5D series......

C

Not sure if Canon is lining things up so the R line goes head to head with the D line. The R seems slotted between the 6DII and 5DIV, this allows it to draw from both groups of customers. It would not surprise me to see this continue.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I understand that this is a special case but then why not live view?
I use my 5DsR for birding and I have no issues with mirror (even at speeds arithmetically lower than lens' focal length by taking advantage of IS).
I use the silent shutter mode. I do not know if that helps with no mirror issues for me.

There isn't a silent shutter mode on the 5DSR. There's a 'quieter shutter' - but it still has a physical shutter moving and it still generates vibration. The EOS R can take photos without any parts inside the camera moving, which is what we need.

I also prefer EVF over OVF in general nowdays.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
There isn't a silent shutter mode on the 5DSR. There's a 'quieter shutter' - but it still has a physical shutter moving and it still generates vibration. The EOS R can take photos without any parts inside the camera moving, which is what we need.

You would be unlikely to prefer EVF if you were a bird photographer as we use the camera/telephoto lens as a spotting scope and stare down the lens for ages. Not only is the OVF more easy on the eye but using the EVF in this way runs down the battery. I don't have any problems with mirror slap with the 5DSR and I am anal compulsive about resolution and a fierce cropper.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I will not be sad to see the 5Ds (R) go. It was launched too quickly with little thought to where it fits within the canon line. It purpose seems to be out MP Nikon.
I could say I wouldn't be sad to not see the EOS R line move on but I have not issues with other people's cameras.
You do not have a purpose for it but I have taken very nice bird shots with it...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I will not be sad to see the 5Ds (R) go. It was launched too quickly with little thought to where it fits within the canon line. It purpose seems to be out MP Nikon.
That is a very narrow viewpoint. The 5DS series is used by those who need or want very high resolution. Just because you don’t see the need for high resolution does not mean that there is no place for a high resolution body and it doesn’t fit in the Canon line up. It is a safe bet that Canon will produce a 5DS successor, but it might be in the R series.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Have you used one ? It's an unforgiving camera but that doesn't make it bad. When used well the results are stunning.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
You would be unlikely to prefer EVF if you were a bird photographer as we use the camera/telephoto lens as a spotting scope and stare down the lens for ages. Not only is the OVF more easy on the eye but using the EVF in this way runs down the battery. I don't have any problems with mirror slap with the 5DSR and I am anal compulsive about resolution and a fierce cropper.

Agreed, it's not the kind of photography I use my 5DSR for, but I can absolutely understand your preference! Fortunately Canon make cameras for us all now.

I was actually hoping that Canon would come through with a combined OVF/EVF display but I suspect that is probably low down on their priorities right now.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Have you used one ? It's an unforgiving camera but that doesn't make it bad. When used well the results are stunning.

Yes I have one. Very mixed feelings about it. Seems like a one off camera with little future. 5D M5 may be high 30 mp which will be enough for most of us.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
That is a very narrow viewpoint. The 5DS series is used by those who need or want very high resolution. Just because you don’t see the need for high resolution does not mean that there is no place for a high resolution body and it doesn’t fit in the Canon line up. It is a safe bet that Canon will produce a 5DS successor, but it might be in the R series.

May be. But as the 5D M5 increases in MP, the 5DS line will be forced to higher MP. at some point the sensor will fail ...

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
]

In bright light it works well. in poor light, ...
Here we ago again, trotting out the myth about noise of the 5DS. Have you extensively compared the 5DS with the 5DIV? This is what Bryan write in TDP after carefully comparing the 5DIV and the 5DS: "As just said, downsampling can improve noise levels and another pair of cameras being considered by 5D Mark IV shoppers are the 5Ds and 5Ds R. These cameras have tremendous resolution ready for downsampling. In a pixel-level comparison, the 5D IV is clearly superior in noise levels at higher ISO settings. Downside the 5Ds image to match the 5D IV's resolution and ... the 5D IV remains superior. However, the difference is very small "
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV.aspx
I have just come back from fortnight's safari having taken 3000+ shots with the 5DIV and my wife the same with the 5DSR, and both performed comparably regarding noise, and these involved considerable cropping and pushing both bodies to their limits on occasion.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Yes I have one. Very mixed feelings about it. Seems like a one off camera with little future. 5D M5 may be high 30 mp which will be enough for most of us.
I agree that 30 + mp is enough for most of us, more than enough in fact. In comparison 50 mp is relatively niche, but remember that in all these comparisons we are splitting hairs in the difference, and I’ll split hairs by stating that the colour definition on the 5DS when used from a very steady platform with a good lens is the best I’ve see from digital. In making comparisons you have to take into account the native size of the output and the 5DS is pretty large which works against it. If you reduce the size or increase the output of a lesser mp camera to the same size you get fair comparison.

But it’s horses for courses and I’d guess that Canon sell around 1 5DS for every 10 - 15 5DIV and if that’s the case it’s inevitable that most people will prefer the 5DIV.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Having both a 5DSR and EOS R here and comparing shots between the two it's clear that the 5DSR wins outright on resolution and overall sharpness. Once you start shooting without an AA filter you really notice the softness when you shoot with a camera that has one. Digitally sharpening an image in post is never the same. Cropping on the 5DSR is far more forgiving.

Of course, with up to 8 frames per second on the EOS R and the ability to write to super-fast UHS-II cards, it is a far more capable camera for fast-action work than the 5DSR.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
I find that unlikely to the point of absurdity.

Disagree - IMO they launched to sandwich the D800/D810 but did not think abou the LT viability of the product if it was not a major product. Canon has introduced interesting technologies only to abandon them shortly thereafter (e.g., eye control focus).

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
as photosites get smaller they will gather less light. Plus diffraction from the aperture will hinder higher resolution. Right now diffraction negatively impacts the 5DS around f7 or f8.
Having smaller photosites and a decreasing DLA does not imply in any way that a sensor will "fail". 1" sensors work absolutely fine and have a pixel density equivalent to a 140 mpx FF sensor and are diffraction limited at ~f/4.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Having both a 5DSR and EOS R here and comparing shots between the two it's clear that the 5DSR wins outright on resolution and overall sharpness. Once you start shooting without an AA filter you really notice the softness when you shoot with a camera that has one. Digitally sharpening an image in post is never the same. Cropping on the 5DSR is far more forgiving.

Of course, with up to 8 frames per second on the EOS R and the ability to write to super-fast UHS-II cards, it is a far more capable camera for fast-action work than the 5DSR.
I agree with the first paragraph, but Canon claims only 5 fps in continuous AF. In practice it is worse than that:
"With Servo AF enabled (continuous autofocus), Canon claims the EOS R's max burst speed is 5.0 fps, however we didn't test that in the lab. When shooting Dual Pixel RAW files, the camera drops down to Continuous Low mode which is rated at 3.0 fps for standard files and 2.2 fps for Dual Pixel RAW files. In the lab, the Canon R managed a slightly higher 2.4 fps when shooting DP-RAW or DP-RAW+JPEG files." https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-eos-r/canon-eos-rA6.HTM

So, the EOS R is slower than the 5DSR in practice for fast action.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0