Canon Sends Invitation to Dealers for Major Mirrorless Presentation Next Month

Although new discoveries may happen anytime, the physics of bright lenses is pretty much restrictive.
You need a lot of optical surfaces to reduce optical aberrations for large diameter apertures...
The way to go here might be the introduction of multiple free form surfaces that may be very difficult to be found.
For example in Jena, Germany, at the Beutenberg Campus they are forging a whole optics research branch around the development of free form surfaces for technological purposes (so not really with the common photographer in mind, at least not now). A lot of mathematical research is implied as there is no "do this and then that"-way or straight forward approach to find solutions to free form problems.

There is a way, however, to reduce the length (not the diameter...) of lenses in general while maintaining the f number of a lens, and that is by using microlens arrays. Still there are major technical challenges to it as it's basically a surface technology and implementing surfaces that reduce aberrations is not trivial. Those lens arrays are made with little droplets of synthetic material and their form, as of now, is governed by cohesion forces during melting.
The disadvantage is, that the brightness of the image is maintained by superimposing multiple images (100% overlay) or having a part overlay (>100% overlay).
So you basically trade superior length (less weight and smaller in one dimension) of the optics into largely increased demands on the sensor, as it will have to have an insane pixel density to keep the resolution on par with a standard design. And this will have implications when it comes to Noise. Also at some point the optical performance of these arrays is exhausted.

Else the optical performance is mediocre but as the microlenses have sub mm diameters optical aberrations are reduced pretty much... thats why they still work so well.
A technical advantage is the very high depth of focus... art-wise that is not so welcome I guess. So I dont see a bypass of large and heavy lenses anytime soon. As of now big cameras with good handling and big grips are a future concept.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Talys said:
I think it's worth noting that whenever you look at sidelines at professional sporting events, the number of little camera bodies is zero (and obviously, the number of little camera lenses is zero). Even at a football game, when you see press photographers reaching out over the crowd to snap some pictures, those second bodies with wider lenses are full sized DSLRs with full sized hotshoe flashes attached. At major political events, same thing. I think this is a pretty important demographic for Canon.

Agree 100% on sports, but I actually have seen the reportage photogs supporting political figures starting to dabble with Sony rigs. Can't tell which one they are using, of course ::), but I have to believe that a truly silent shutter (in committee meetings, especially) and a next to zero need for big superwhites has something to do with it. In theory, in this arena of photography, Sony is far less behind than they are in sports.

(Checks to see what the award winning photo of the assassination of the Russian ambassador in Turkey was taken on... and it was a 5D3. Just curious.)

- A

Upvote 0
Nice computermodel of "coming/rumored" FF MLS...

https://photorumors.com/2018/01/20/major-canon-mirrorless-camera-announcement-coming-soon/#more-94151

Maybe a part of this rumors come true. I hope so.

The pics were taken from this older site: https://photorumors.com/2012/03/21/canon-mirrorless-camera-concept/
I would like to see an articulated viewfinder or an bigger display ;) and 1/8000 and and and....

Attachments

• AE-D_VF_ORTH_T.jpeg
    AE-D_VF_ORTH_T.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 142
  • AE-D_VF_3QR_R.jpeg
    AE-D_VF_3QR_R.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
xps said:
Nice computermodel of "coming/rumored" FF MLS...

https://photorumors.com/2018/01/20/major-canon-mirrorless-camera-announcement-coming-soon/#more-94151

Maybe a part of this rumors come true. I hope so.

The pics staken from this site

OMG...I hope so. I don't know why but it makes me think of my old Pentax ME Super crossed with a Leica.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
Talys said:
I think it's worth noting that whenever you look at sidelines at professional sporting events, the number of little camera bodies is zero (and obviously, the number of little camera lenses is zero). Even at a football game, when you see press photographers reaching out over the crowd to snap some pictures, those second bodies with wider lenses are full sized DSLRs with full sized hotshoe flashes attached. At major political events, same thing. I think this is a pretty important demographic for Canon.

Agree 100% on sports, but I actually have seen the reportage photogs supporting political figures starting to dabble with Sony rigs. Can't tell which one they are using, of course ::), but I have to believe that a truly silent shutter (in committee meetings, especially) and a next to zero need for big superwhites has something to do with it. In theory, in this arena of photography, Sony is far less behind than they are in sports.

(Checks to see what the award winning photo of the assassination of the Russian ambassador in Turkey was taken on... and it was a 5D3. Just curious.)

- A

Just goes to show you the 5D3 is still a great camera :D

This photo is actually good enough to see what kind of cameras the photographers are using, in a Me_Me_Me-era photo (eg within the last year) (UPDATE... ROFL... president orange's name was replaced with Me_Me_Me by the forum... I LOVE IT). You're right, there's one at the bottom with a Sony! Nearly all of the cameras that are being used are Canons, with interesting choices for second cameras they have on their neck.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-59441760/turbine/la-butow-on-senate-hearings-20170616-004/1200

Another thing that you can see is that with professional press photographers/videographers, size and weight are just not at the priority when it comes to what they use, even when the subject is as close as they could possibly be:

201311060024.jpg

http://www.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000zlvM.z6J6uc/s/950/632/201311060024.jpg

Upvote 0
Talys said:
ahsanford said:
Talys said:

- A

This photo is actually good enough to see what kind of cameras the photographers are using, in a Me_Me_Me-era photo (eg within the last year) (UPDATE... ROFL... president orange's name was replaced with Me_Me_Me by the forum... I LOVE IT). You're right, there's one at the bottom with a Sony! Nearly all of the cameras that are being used are Canons, with interesting choices for second cameras they have on their neck.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-59441760/turbine/la-butow-on-senate-hearings-20170616-004/1200

Another thing that you can see is that with professional press photographers/videographers, size and weight are just not at the priority when it comes to what they use, even when the subject is as close as they could possibly be:

201311060024.jpg

As a bit of an aside, the guy at the front of the first photo is pretty much why I wish Canon would put a flip screen on the 5d line, even a tilting.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
Isaacheus said:
Talys said:
ahsanford said:
Talys said:

- A

201311060024.jpg

As a bit of an aside, the guy at the front of the first photo is pretty much why I wish Canon would put a flip screen on the 5d line, even a tilting.

But really, what a silly thing. Nobody needs that many photos of a press conference, much less someone putting a nameplate down.

Upvote 0