Canon Sends Invitation to Dealers for Major Mirrorless Presentation Next Month

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’ve been told that Canon is sending out “very elaborate” invites to select dealers and VIPs for a mirrorless camera announcement next month.</p>
<p>The invitation was described as being very high end, printed on heavy glossy paper and showing a silhouette of a camera shaped like the EOS M6 with a hole cut out where the sensor would be.</p>

<p>Apparently only CEOs and higher-ups are allowed to go to the presentation, no sales people are permitted.</p>
<p>I would say all of this would point to Canon announcing something more than just another entry level APS-C shooter.</p>
<p>If anyone has a picture of the invite, <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/contact-form/">please send it to us</a>.</p>
<p><em><span style="text-decoration: underline;">more to come…</span></em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Ok...this is something. I only recall these types of invites for significant announcements, such as a 1D camera.

But that flies in the face of a bunch of rumors we heard (just now asking pros for features they would want, etc), and the M6 body is odd (I do not see a FF sensor in an M6 body nor would I call that a "Pro" body). So this is either the fabled FF mirrorless announcement (scaled up M6 body?), an annoucement of a new line (Mirrorless Cinema series bodies??), potentially a mirrorless "road map", or Canon just toying with us.....

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
The exclusive invite does seem to point to something big (aka FF mirrorless). However the M6 body is odd. But then again, it could just be part of the game and we should not read too much into it. Aka, the M6 with the sensor cut out could just simply be read "Mirrorless with New sensor".

If it is a FF mirrorless, I'm still thinking there is a good chance it is an EF mount with a body more like a traditional DSLR, especially if this is a high end, for "pros" type camera. If it is a smaller body (similar to other mirrorless bodies out today) with a shorter flange distance then I see this as more a consumer, enthusiast market Canon is targeting first.

It will be interesting as more details leak.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Luds34 said:
The exclusive invite does seem to point to something big (aka FF mirrorless). However the M6 body is odd. But then again, it could just be part of the game and we should not read too much into it.
everytime canon's done a silhouette it's turned out to be the real thing. they do it quite rarely, 5D and 1D series are the ones I'm thinking are the last they did.

there's a REAL lack of any patents coming out for full frame mirrorless from canon. you'd think a strong push to an EF-M mount we'd see patents filtering through for specific kit zooms at least.

the only ones that really have come out have been odd defensive or a specific embodiment without much substance.

Upvote 0
Of course Canon does this as soon as I sell my last Canon lens and buy the last Sony one I need to make the transition to the a7rIII...

Curious to see what they come up with and hope I don’t regret the move in a month or so. I’m not one to jump back and forth between systems and had been with Canon for 13 years but finally saw enough significant improvements on the mirrorless side to draw me over there.

I have to believe the first iteration will have some rough edges. Sony’s A7R series only appealed to me in its third iteration.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
eoren1 said:
Of course Canon does this as soon as I sell my last Canon lens and buy the last Sony one I need to make the transition to the a7rIII...

Curious to see what they come up with and hope I don’t regret the move in a month or so. I’m not one to jump back and forth between systems and had been with Canon for 13 years but finally saw enough significant improvements on the mirrorless side to draw me over there.

I have to believe the first iteration will have some rough edges. Sony’s A7R series only appealed to me in its third iteration.

Oh...so you are the proverbial guy that finally gave up so now what you wanted all along can finally be announced.

I guess the rest of us should thank you!

;D

Upvote 0
docsmith said:
eoren1 said:

Oh...so you are the proverbial guy that finally gave up so now what you wanted all along can finally be announced.

I guess the rest of us should thank you!

;D

Yup! Pretty excited - never been ‘that guy’ before.

Seriously interested in Canon’s announcement. Just feeling that post-huge purchase twang now that I’m seeing this...

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
The exclusive invite does seem to point to something big (aka FF mirrorless). However the M6 body is odd. But then again, it could just be part of the game and we should not read too much into it. Aka, the M6 with the sensor cut out could just simply be read "Mirrorless with New sensor".

If it is a FF mirrorless, I'm still thinking there is a good chance it is an EF mount with a body more like a traditional DSLR, especially if this is a high end, for "pros" type camera. If it is a smaller body (similar to other mirrorless bodies out today) with a shorter flange distance then I see this as more a consumer, enthusiast market Canon is targeting first.

It will be interesting as more details leak.

Two points to consider:

1) The current EF-M mount with an EF-M lens can potentially use a full frame sensor.
2) The current EF-M mount with an EF Adapter can hit at least 90% of a full frame sensor, the camera can just detect when the adapter is mounted and compensate.

There were a lot of patents in December that looked to be for an aps-c type lens - but could those be for a full frame implementation too? I'm wondering if this article: http://www.canonrumors.com/patent-more-ultra-wide-zoom-lens-patents/ might be assuming this is an APS-C lens based only on the Back Focal length (BF). Could the BF also be the correct distance for a full frame? Obviously an aps-c sensor justt wouldn't capture as mmuch, just like the current aps-c's with full frame lenses mounted.

However the one thing that really sticks out in my mind is that there have been *a lot* of aps-c lens patents coming through lately.

Upvote 0
eoren1 said:

No reason to look back. Sony sensor tech pushed me away from Canon. Canon just needs to stop the bleeding. So many are tied to a brand (for good reason when you have a lot invested) that just releasing a FF mirrorless in the current M6 body would be good enough to help slow any of us that have purchased other brands.

Upvote 0
BeenThere said:
M6 like body with a square sensor?

That would actually be quite interesting. It could have more resolution than a full frame, just slightly narrower than a full frame as the shape would be different....

I don't know enough about lenses to know if existing lenses would work out of the box? Is the last element shaped to throw an oval or a circle to cover the existing wider sensors (or film, if going back enough years)?

That would be somewhat of a unicorn development, but it would certainly differentiate the product from the competitors.

Upvote 0
eoren1 said:

I felt the same way, and it was the A9 that actually convinced me to pick up a Sony body. I then added an A7R2 and a few Sony lenses. I guess the difference with me is that I never sold my Canon glass and have been updating them as I patiently wait for Canon's pro-mirrorless entrant. I've also been using them on other systems. Glass is the real value of any system as bodies come and go all the time.

Still waiting for Canon's pro-mirrorless offering. I know one day my lenses can come back to old faithful. They've spent too much time on Tinder for the last few years going from manufacturer to manufacturer all over the world.. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dude said:
Canon just needs to stop the bleeding.

Bleeding? Let me guess - you got an abrasion on your head when you fell up against reality, and want to use a Canon camera strap as a bandage. Apparently you don't realize that Canon has been gaining ILC market share. I hear getting smacked with reality can hurt, I recommend knowledge as a prophylactic.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
criscokkat said:
BeenThere said:
M6 like body with a square sensor?

That would actually be quite interesting. It could have more resolution than a full frame, just slightly narrower than a full frame as the shape would be different....

I don't know enough about lenses to know if existing lenses would work out of the box? Is the last element shaped to throw an oval or a circle to cover the existing wider sensors (or film, if going back enough years)?

That would be somewhat of a unicorn development, but it would certainly differentiate the product from the competitors.

The idea has been kicked around a bit, here. It would sort of work 'out of the box' with most lenses, the exception being lenses that have a rectangular baffle at the back (like the 24-105/4L IS, I'm not sure there are any others). An additional problem would be the petal-shaped hoods of many lenses, which are designed for a 3:2 rectangular sensor and would likely cause some vignetting (that could be solved by updated hoods, though). A square sensor inscribed in the FF image circle would be ~30 mm, so at 3:2 format it's a 1.2x crop factor.

Very unlikely, IMO.

Upvote 0