Canon sensor for FF - will it require Phase Detect AF?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The current Canon leading edge sensors for EOS-M mirrorless and liveview for DSLRs are based on Dual Pixel AF, which is widely applauded for its excellence for video and liveview. But, will DPAF be adequately fast for rapid focus? Do you think they will have to embed Phase Detect for action and also for spot focussing over a very small area?

Jul 21, 2010
I find that my M6 tracks very well with what I'd consider simple subjects, e.g. a downhill skier (high contrast subject with dark clothes against snow, not moving super fast). It does decently with more difficult subjects, sometime can't keep up...but I wonder how much of that is the native STM lenses, which is pretty much all I use on the M bodies.

The M6 AF performance isn't up to the level of my 1D X with an L lens, nor do I expect that to be the case.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I use my 5D4 and my SL2 primarily in live view mode, where AF is plenty fast for most of my subjects. It really works well foir lenses with TC's where there is little light available.

Canon has been working very hard to improve DPAF, so it will be up to the task. However, don't expect it to match PDAF, just like Nikon and Sony, AF will be not quite as good as a low end Canon DSLR.

DPAF tracking has greatly improved as well, I prefer it to PD tracking except for sports or bif where speed wins out.

Overall, a mirrorless camera from Canon or anyone else is going to be a case of "almost as good as" when compared to a similarly priced DSLR. Small size attracts some users, but not in the USA. I think that Canon is big enough and has such a huge customer base that they can offer a full sized EF compatible mirrorless as well as a compact one with a new lens series and small consumer / prosumer lenses. Don't expect "L" lenses for the small version unless it displaces the larger bodies. The biggest market for small mirrorless cameras is Asia, and price is a big factor there.

Upvote 0