Canon shows off concept cameras at CP+

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Exactly what these are for. Good fun with the grand kids! My protege is almost two. Another couple of years and I can't wait!
Just printed a pic of his juice package that he snapped. He wants to frame it and hang it in his room. BTW, it is well-exposed.

Hope he does not get GAS!;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Just printed a pic of his juice package that he snapped. He wants to frame it and hang it in his room. BTW, it is well-exposed.

Mine will want to macro and closeup his hundreds of Hot Wheels. Grand kids add whole other dimension to the fun and helps me keep my perspective fresh. I do a lot of work with teens through a charity and it is a blast working with them. They have ideas I'd have never thought of on my own.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

"But grandpa, my subject requires shallow DoF and this is the sharpest zoom lens out there right now!"

You'll be ordering him an R with a 28-70 f/2 by the end of the month. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
Everybody but you knows that the 7D cameras are announced in late August. Unfortunately, not every year.

Thank you for your helpful and kind words.
For your information, there have been quite several rumors about when the 7D Mk III was to be announced. For instance, there have been several rumors a while back that the 7D Mk III would be announced in March 2018.
It was a [CR1], but nonetheless you can perhaps share your elaborate knowledge and wisdom with Canon Rumors Guy because apparently you have inside knowledge that what he wrote was completely impossible.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
"But grandpa, my subject requires shallow DoF and this is the sharpest zoom lens out there right now!"

You'll be ordering him an R with a 28-70 f/2 by the end of the month. :ROFLMAO:
At some point, it will be time for that serious discussion. You know, the one about DR ...............

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
We have bought many things at work which have had the serial number 1, and most of those items have had a market of less than 100 :)
If it’s some expensive piece of specialized gear, yes. But not this. I bought a 70mm camera that shot from 70mm motion picture film for my film studio clients. A complex piece of gear that cost $75,000 back in the early 1990’s. There weren’t too many of these made.

But this is just cheap stuff. I doubt if it will have a real market.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
But perfect for introducing a toddler to photography due to the tough build. My grandson is all over my gear when I get it out. One could deduce that there is a market or it won't be made. ;)
Unfortunately, no. Just because they think there is a viable market doesn’t mean that there is one. The reason why all of this disappeared is, as we all know, the smartphone. Even really cheap smartphones can take useful photos, particularly for young children. They’re better than these cameras because of the software.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Unfortunately, no. Just because they think there is a viable market doesn’t mean that there is one. The reason why all of this disappeared is, as we all know, the smartphone. Even really cheap smartphones can take useful photos, particularly for young children. They’re better than these cameras because of the software.
I tend to agree with you.

I have friends who have given their kids the old cell phone (no SIM card) to use as a camera. Apparently the ease of putting bunny ears and whiskers on your pictures is a good thing....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Nah. Not for learning the craft they aren't. Besides, I'm not going to hand a 3 year old a smartphone so it can be dropped and the screen cracked. To each his own, I guess.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I'm convinced the Sony A 9 has a better DR and more fps.:rolleyes:
The pros will massively boycott this Canon and enter Wonderful Sony World.:cry:
Agreed!

Without a hello Kitty version, no pro will touch these cameras. This children's camera is only fit for kids!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Nah. Not for learning the craft they aren't. Besides, I'm not going to hand a 3 year old a smartphone so it can be dropped and the screen cracked. To each his own, I guess.
3 year old children aren’t going to “learn the craft”. They’re going to shoot some terrible photos, and occasionally, totally due to luck, the rare good one, which their parents will declare is due to the great eye of the child.

An old smartphone that isn’t worth much, not connected to LTE is perfectly fine. It can be years out of date. Put it in a case so it doesn’t break.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
3 year old children aren’t going to “learn the craft”. They’re going to shoot some terrible photos, and occasionally, totally due to luck, the rare good one, which their parents will declare is due to the great eye of the child.

An old smartphone that isn’t worth much, not connected to LTE is perfectly fine. It can be years out of date. Put it in a case so it doesn’t break.
I disagree. Do what YOU wish. I'll do what I wish. Like I said, "To each his own." I prefer not to live in the world of low expectations based on age at either end of the age scale 0-110. 3- 8 year olds are fully capable of learning a whole lot. A $50-$100 camera is perfect for what I plan. A phone absolutely is not. I was building Heathkit electronic projects when I was 6, soldering and all.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
3 year old children aren’t going to “learn the craft”.

I think the children camera is aimed at children above 3 years - the UI may need basic reading skills, beyond the images. Anyway for children watching parents using cameras getting one that looks like the "grown-up" ones, and really working, could be really welcome - and if the camera software is done well, it could really teach the basic craft.

The drawback, unlike for example the Instax, is the result is not printed out immediately - the camera has a print button, maybe Canon would like to sell its instant printer as well, ? - although that makes it cheaper to run.

Anyway, I see the Instax has an Hello Kitty version, thereby Canon is doomed!

Update: I just saw that today in Italy the most sold camera on Amazon is the 4000D. It looks a market for cheap low-end cameras does exist.... and I think not a small percentage of them was bought for young people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I disagree. Do what YOU wish. I'll do what I wish. Like I said, "To each his own." I prefer not to live in the world of low expectations based on age at either end of the age scale 0-110. 3- 8 year olds are fully capable of learning a whole lot. A $50-$100 camera is perfect for what I plan. A phone absolutely is not. I was building Heathkit electronic projects when I was 6, soldering and all.
Nobody is telling you to do what you don’t want to. I said something. You said something. You don’t have to get defensive about it.

• Haha
Upvote 0