Canon Software Solution Allows Select EOS Interchangeable Lens Cameras to Function as High-Quality USB Webcam

The symptoms are as if you have EOS Utility running, you may have EOS Utility installed even though you don't think you do. Check all the "hidden" icons in the tray from the /\ on the task bar, hover over them to see the name. If you find it, right click and quit it from the popup menu.
I checked and EOS Utility is not running. Also checked the computer settings to be sure there wasn’t some security setting that blocked “new” cameras - didn’t find anything that seemed amiss.
Is there some special setting that should be done on the camera? I have only used the camera for stills so the video side is new for me.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I checked and EOS Utility is not running. Also checked the computer settings to be sure there wasn’t some security setting that blocked “new” cameras - didn’t find anything that seemed amiss.
Is there some special setting that should be done on the camera? I have only used the camera for stills so the video side is new for me.

I might be listing things you've already done, but in case you haven't:
- Make sure you've restarted your computer since having installed the software. A restart is required, even though the software doesn't force it.
- Try a different USB port on your computer (preferably a direct connection to the computer, as opposed to through a hub / docking station).
- Make sure the camera is in video mode.

And lastly...this was probably a fluke with my computer...but I'll mention it in the off-chance this actually works for someone else...
Install and then open EOS Utility....then quit the utility. I know that sounds odd, but I had the EOS Utility already installed, but had never opened it (and it was not running in the system tray either). I couldn't get this thing to work, but then I opened the EOS Utility just for the heck of it. After it opened, and I saw its icon pop up in the system tray for the first time, I quit the app completely (from the system tray). Once I did that...everything started working. Again...probably a fluke...but maybe worth a shot.

Upvote 0
You don't have to do anything special with the camera, just have it switched on (with a good battery) and the USB connected. The Webcam utility switches it to live mode when it connects. I noticed in some other threads that installing the EOS utility before stopping it is a requirement. I don't know if this is true, but I did have it installed on the two PC's I'm using.

Upvote 0
You don't have to do anything special with the camera, just have it switched on (with a good battery) and the USB connected. The Webcam utility switches it to live mode when it connects. I noticed in some other threads that installing the EOS utility before stopping it is a requirement. I don't know if this is true, but I did have it installed on the two PC's I'm using.
Thank you to all of you who reached out with ideas. Finally got this working.
What was keeping it from working was having the WFT-E8A enabled. If that wireless network was enabled then USB doesn’t work.
This puts any “webcam” to shame with sharpness, clarity and color. Multiple positive comments from those who I talk with at work each day. Biggest downside is battery life isn’t long enough, may need to get the dc power adapter.
Once again, thank you for the ideas and help!

Upvote 0