Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT replacement coming soon [CR2]

x4dow

EOS M50
May 16, 2020
I'm not sure what more a light can do. More powerful, great.
But then I almost always use them on manual.
running them on the same batteries as most canon bodies would be a great start. Using AA's for flashes in this day and age is ridiculous. Its the sole reason why i use godox.

One of our speedlites (430 EX II) died. But we have decided to give a try to Profoto A1. There is no easy way we would go back to Canon Speedlites. Zero missfires and most importantly - no hassle with small batteries. Last month we have added a B10 and basically we are set :)

I strongly doubt that. The Profoto A1 / A1X is a toy, but not for professionals.
The attachments with magnets fall off easily, especially at events, and the head is not good fixed if you quickly switch to portrait format.
The only good thing is the battery.
The A1 and A1X are not compatible with the latest Canon DSLR cameras, and only to a limited extent with the mirrorless R-series.
I expect the new Canon flash will be much better than the A1X.
You doubt it wrongly imo. Marking A1 / A1X as toys is quite strong statement to say the least. But OK, maybe we are not professionals and we don't know, what we are doing at all :)

A1 had some problems with keeping the angle in case of fast moves - fixed with the A1X. Magnets on attachemens is the sole problem of those attachements. They have now new version. We have both and the new magnets are much more stronger - problem fixed again.

What you call the only good thing on them, the battery, is absolutly crucial for us. No more freaking AA batteris. We have tried so many brands, chargers and in the end it was always a mess. You will realise that, once you switch to something like the A1 / A1X. We have A1 for 3-4 months, so only a limited experience (in comparison to over a 10 years with the Canon speedlites), but our A1 never ever missfired so far. It fires so fast, that I really regard it being a small and portable studio mini strobe, not a speedlite.

As we ideally want our strobes to cooperate, our A1 can work with our B10. So unless whatever-Canon-comes-up-with does cooperate with our studio strobes including TTL, there is no way back for us.

For me, that only gripes with the Profoto is, that the price is really high. Well, especially for modifiers, we have stayed with Elincrhom ones so far.

Last edited:

makera

I'm New Here
Feb 25, 2019
You doubt it wrongly imo. Marking A1 / A1X as toys is quite strong statement to say the least. But OK, maybe we are not professionals and we don't know, what we are doing at all :)

A1 had some problems with keeping the angle in case of fast moves - fixed with the A1X. Magnets on attachemens is the sole problem of those attachements. They have now new version. We have both and the new magnets are much more stronger - problem fixed again.

What you call the only good thing on them, the battery, is absolutly crucial for us. No more freaking AA batteris. We have tried so many brands, chargers and in the end it was always a mess. You will realise that, once you switch to something like the A1 / A1X. We have A1 for 3-4 months, so only a limited experience (in comparison to over a 10 years with the Canon speedlites), but our A1 never ever missfired so far. It fires so fast, that I really regard it being a small and portable studio mini strobe, not a speedlite.

As we ideally want our strobes to cooperate, our A1 can work with our B10. So unless whatever-Canon-comes-up-with does cooperate with our studio strobes including TTL, there is no way back for us.

For me, that only gripes with the Profoto is, that the price is really high. Well, especially for modifiers, we have stayed with Elincrhom ones so far.

Yes, the statement with " the toy" is exaggerated. I have 3 A1 and was very enthusiastic at first. But I recognized the weaknesses in rough use. Nice if these errors are fixed with the A1x. Why they dont find the errors earlier ? With the high prices, you can probably expect that.
So should I buy 3 new flashes A1x ? And accept my investment-loss of A1 ?

The worst part is that A1 and A1x are not compatible with Canon's top model, the 1DX III has been around for 4 months. I suspect there are problems.

Richard Anthony

EOS T7i
Feb 24, 2020
I wish they would release some details about these , I am looking at buying new lighting at the moment , so it would be helpful to know what they are doing with these new speedlights , and how they are going to work with the R5 when it comes out .We have had leaks about new lenses and cameras its about time they give some info on the new lights .

makera

I'm New Here
Feb 25, 2019
Another point is the poor support from Profoto.
They don't say if and when the A1 will be fully compatible with the Canon 1DX III.
The mirrorless cameras are also only compatible to a limited extent. I don't think the new Canon R5 will be compatible either with Profoto A1 / A1x.

I think Canon`s new speedlite will be as good or better than the Profoto A1 / A1x.
I hope this new Canon speedlite will be coming soon and it will have good batteries and the power like the A1. The batteries of the A1 are really a huge big advantage over the AA batteries with the canon`s old 600EX flash units.

Reactions: Richard Anthony

Hector1970

EOS 6D MK II
Mar 22, 2012
1: AI bounce technology from the 470EX-Ai (it is awesome).
2: LP-E6N batteries.
3: Much bigger and better resolution screen that shows all Groups at the same time.
4: Much more intuitive menus.
5: Wider zoom without needing the diffusion panel.
6: Faster recycle time.
7: Cost realignment, flashes shouldn’t cost $500 and more considering the competition, choices and options.

P.S.
8: Remote changing of functions, most other systems you can change the power, Groups, sync mode etc from an app or another controller or the remote flashes themselves.
9: Second curtain sync, others can do it even within the Canon RT system!
Yes a good list. For sure Canon could bring alot of improvements to their flashes.

unfocused

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
1: AI bounce technology from the 470EX-Ai (it is awesome).
2: LP-E6N batteries.
3: Much bigger and better resolution screen that shows all Groups at the same time.
4: Much more intuitive menus.
5: Wider zoom without needing the diffusion panel.
6: Faster recycle time.
7: Cost realignment, flashes shouldn’t cost $500 and more considering the competition, choices and options.

P.S.
8: Remote changing of functions, most other systems you can change the power, Groups, sync mode etc from an app or another controller or the remote flashes themselves.
9: Second curtain sync, others can do it even within the Canon RT system!
I was doing some housekeeping today (making sure batteries were charged up for my strobes and battery packs) and I remembered something that I really wish they would fix. If you are using multiple speedlites in a single group (for example, three lights in an modifier all set to group "B") and just one of the speedlites starts to lose power and the recycle time slows down, the other two speedlights won't fire until the third light is ready.

I've had to stop the shoot, take the cover off the modifier and try to figure out which light is not recycling, then either change the batteries in the single light or shut it off.

Reactions: privatebydesign

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
I was doing some housekeeping today (making sure batteries were charged up for my strobes and battery packs) and I remembered something that I really wish they would fix. If you are using multiple speedlites in a single group (for example, three lights in an modifier all set to group "B") and just one of the speedlites starts to lose power and the recycle time slows down, the other two speedlights won't fire until the third light is ready.

I've had to stop the shoot, take the cover off the modifier and try to figure out which light is not recycling, then either change the batteries in the single light or shut it off.
Yes, battery indicators!

Reactions: ronaldzimmerman.nl