Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT replacement coming soon [CR2]

Mar 26, 2014
From reading on the Internet, my impression was there are two types of batteries - marathon runners (slow and steady stream of electricity) and sprinters (quick supply of large charge, rest, repeat). My assumption is camera batteries, such as LP-E6, are of the first type, while flashes recycle fast with the second type.

Am I missing something here?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
From reading on the Internet, my impression was there are two types of batteries - marathon runners (slow and steady stream of electricity) and sprinters (quick supply of large charge, rest, repeat). My assumption is camera batteries, such as LP-E6, are of the first type, while flashes recycle fast with the second type.

I think that marathon versus sprint thing is mostly about chemistry, e.g. lead-acid, Ni-MH, Li-Po etc. The LP-E6 family is Li-ion, so it would depend on the electronics in the battery how fast of a (dis)charge it will allow. Heat is the biggest enemy of battery longevity, so making the electronics limit the current and hence heat makes a lot of sense.
The R5/R6 rumours keep talking about the LP-E6NH, I wonder if that battery update isn't really for cameras, but for the speedlights.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Profoto A1X is the new standard. Round headm, magnets, one battery that recharges. i stopped using all my canon flashes. I had 5 600 rts
I strongly doubt that. The Profoto A1 / A1X is a toy, but not for professionals.
The attachments with magnets fall off easily, especially at events, and the head is not good fixed if you quickly switch to portrait format.
The only good thing is the battery.
The A1 and A1X are not compatible with the latest Canon DSLR cameras, and only to a limited extent with the mirrorless R-series.
I expect the new Canon flash will be much better than the A1X.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

I think you are right. The chemistry of a Li-on battery determines the capacity and current carrying capability. You can get a large charge capacity with low current, or a lower charge capacity with a higher discharge current. Canon has updated or tweaked the battery chemistry at least 3 times in past years, I believe it was to meet safety standards. I don't think the LP-E6 type is intended to handle high currents, but the newer chemistries may be better at high currents.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

With mirrorless cameras being much smaller than their DSLR cousins, I do wonder if the top end flashes will need to shrink too. But there is a cost to making it smaller. The loss of AA batteries would be a big loss imo, though if they can make little rechargeable bricks I don't think anyone would mind. Or maybe making a much smaller flash with the power coming from a battery grip attached to the camera.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I strongly doubt that. The Profoto A1 / A1X is a toy, but not for professionals.
The attachments with magnets fall off easily, especially at events, and the head is not good fixed if you quickly switch to portrait format.
The only good thing is the battery.
The A1 and A1X are not compatible with the latest Canon DSLR cameras, and only to a limited extent with the mirrorless R-series.
I expect the new Canon flash will be much better than the A1X.
i used it for like 10 weddings and a ton of events and photoshoots. That toy sure made me some bread and my life easier. I guess i like toys then.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think one mans toy is another mans tool. I know I have spent what some consider a ridiculous amount of money on a specific item (the Arca Swiss d4 springs to mind) that others see no value in at all. The thing with these various tools/toys is how useful they are to us as individuals, if you have incompatible bodies then the Profoto are not much use, if all your bodies do work with them and you have some B1’s or D1’s then they make a lot of sense. I like on brand items because that forward compatibility and reliability is normally seamless, I have done the third party thing with firmware updates every few months and random unreliability.

Upvote 0
I think it would be pretty easy to improve the 600 RT.
First, add the option of using 4AA's or a more powerful long lasting rechargeable Lithium Ion battery.
Second, include an internally stored retractable, rotatable and extendable articulated arm to enable the flash head to be extended to a higher position, in relation to the lens axis, when the camera to which it is attached is held in the vertical orientation. Although this can be accomplished with external arm attachments, it would be nice to enable it with just the flash unit alone. It could also allow for other interesting positions in the horizontal orientation as well, such as one with a higher elevation above the axis of the lens, or one higher and more "to the side" as well..
Third, with the inevitable creep toward video uses in mirrorless cameras, it should also include a practical constant light source, a daylight/tungsten LED, as well as a conventional flash tube source.
Fourth, offer more and better light modifiers, maybe, as many have suggested, through magnetic attachment. Include a real external zooming fresnel modifier - not just the typical static fresnel that is typically built into the face of the lighthead, to make more precise light control possible.
Five, allow for a higher level of light output from the flash tube, at least a half stop more than with the 600 RT

Upvote 0

francomade

EOS R, 1DX II
Sep 22, 2018
No doubt Canon flashes are super pricey. Used to have.. and sold them. Switched to Flashpoint/Godox V1s and they are a lot better +cheaper. Dont have any issues with them. Canon better be on par with the current competitors. Many wedding photographers are using Godox/Flashpoint nowadays. Also easy to link up with strobes of the same brand...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
The problem with the Canon flash system is that there are no big flashes that can overpower sunlight. I sold my 430 EX ii and got a Godox AD200 (3x the power of an EX600), TT685c (equivalent to EX600), and TT600 (manual version of the TT685), and X Pro C remote trigger. A fully integrated system. And reliable (much more so than the Canon IR triggers) although I appear to have interference with the EOS R bluetooth remote. And waaay cheaper than Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Yikes, maybe I should look for a Canon 600EX II-RT, if prices a dropping that much. My old Metz 58 AF flash doesn't work properly anymore, since it dropped during a shooting, and Canon's 430 EX II is a nice little gem, but not always powerful enough.

Upvote 0
i used it for like 10 weddings and a ton of events and photoshoots. That toy sure made me some bread and my life easier. I guess i like toys then.
I understand you. The battery is of course a big advantage over Canon flashes and makes working at events much easier. But A1 / A1X also has many disadvantages or design errors, so you can easily lose the magnetic attachments, I don't want to speak of the overpriced price.

The main disadvantage is that A1 / A1X is not compatible with new Canon cameras.
If you buy a new Canon camera, you have no flash at all.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Why do you guys want expenssive and low packed LP6EN batteries?!?! When I can have 1900 AA rechargable batteries which are only cost me 1/10 of a Canon E6N...?!?!?

The only changing I really would like is to have a master function in the camera bodys!!! via Wifi or BT! Can't be that hard!
I m not a strobist, but I use when I need my old ex 430II & 580 II :)... the last one was back in the days 400€...really heavy for the time I was still shooting with the 300D :D

Upvote 0