Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT replacement coming soon [CR2]

One of our speedlites (430 EX II) died. But we have decided to give a try to Profoto A1. There is no easy way we would go back to Canon Speedlites. Zero missfires and most importantly - no hassle with small batteries. Last month we have added a B10 and basically we are set :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I strongly doubt that. The Profoto A1 / A1X is a toy, but not for professionals.
The attachments with magnets fall off easily, especially at events, and the head is not good fixed if you quickly switch to portrait format.
The only good thing is the battery.
The A1 and A1X are not compatible with the latest Canon DSLR cameras, and only to a limited extent with the mirrorless R-series.
I expect the new Canon flash will be much better than the A1X.

You doubt it wrongly imo. Marking A1 / A1X as toys is quite strong statement to say the least. But OK, maybe we are not professionals and we don't know, what we are doing at all :)

A1 had some problems with keeping the angle in case of fast moves - fixed with the A1X. Magnets on attachemens is the sole problem of those attachements. They have now new version. We have both and the new magnets are much more stronger - problem fixed again.

What you call the only good thing on them, the battery, is absolutly crucial for us. No more freaking AA batteris. We have tried so many brands, chargers and in the end it was always a mess. You will realise that, once you switch to something like the A1 / A1X. We have A1 for 3-4 months, so only a limited experience (in comparison to over a 10 years with the Canon speedlites), but our A1 never ever missfired so far. It fires so fast, that I really regard it being a small and portable studio mini strobe, not a speedlite.

As we ideally want our strobes to cooperate, our A1 can work with our B10. So unless whatever-Canon-comes-up-with does cooperate with our studio strobes including TTL, there is no way back for us.

For me, that only gripes with the Profoto is, that the price is really high. Well, especially for modifiers, we have stayed with Elincrhom ones so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You doubt it wrongly imo. Marking A1 / A1X as toys is quite strong statement to say the least. But OK, maybe we are not professionals and we don't know, what we are doing at all :)

A1 had some problems with keeping the angle in case of fast moves - fixed with the A1X. Magnets on attachemens is the sole problem of those attachements. They have now new version. We have both and the new magnets are much more stronger - problem fixed again.

What you call the only good thing on them, the battery, is absolutly crucial for us. No more freaking AA batteris. We have tried so many brands, chargers and in the end it was always a mess. You will realise that, once you switch to something like the A1 / A1X. We have A1 for 3-4 months, so only a limited experience (in comparison to over a 10 years with the Canon speedlites), but our A1 never ever missfired so far. It fires so fast, that I really regard it being a small and portable studio mini strobe, not a speedlite.

As we ideally want our strobes to cooperate, our A1 can work with our B10. So unless whatever-Canon-comes-up-with does cooperate with our studio strobes including TTL, there is no way back for us.

For me, that only gripes with the Profoto is, that the price is really high. Well, especially for modifiers, we have stayed with Elincrhom ones so far.

Yes, the statement with " the toy" is exaggerated. I have 3 A1 and was very enthusiastic at first. But I recognized the weaknesses in rough use. Nice if these errors are fixed with the A1x. Why they dont find the errors earlier ? With the high prices, you can probably expect that.
So should I buy 3 new flashes A1x ? And accept my investment-loss of A1 ?

The worst part is that A1 and A1x are not compatible with Canon's top model, the 1DX III has been around for 4 months. I suspect there are problems.

Upvote 0
I wish they would release some details about these , I am looking at buying new lighting at the moment , so it would be helpful to know what they are doing with these new speedlights , and how they are going to work with the R5 when it comes out .We have had leaks about new lenses and cameras its about time they give some info on the new lights .

Upvote 0
Another point is the poor support from Profoto.
They don't say if and when the A1 will be fully compatible with the Canon 1DX III.
The mirrorless cameras are also only compatible to a limited extent. I don't think the new Canon R5 will be compatible either with Profoto A1 / A1x.

I think Canon`s new speedlite will be as good or better than the Profoto A1 / A1x.
I hope this new Canon speedlite will be coming soon and it will have good batteries and the power like the A1. The batteries of the A1 are really a huge big advantage over the AA batteries with the canon`s old 600EX flash units.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
1: AI bounce technology from the 470EX-Ai (it is awesome).
2: LP-E6N batteries.
3: Much bigger and better resolution screen that shows all Groups at the same time.
4: Much more intuitive menus.
5: Wider zoom without needing the diffusion panel.
6: Faster recycle time.
7: Cost realignment, flashes shouldn’t cost $500 and more considering the competition, choices and options.

P.S.
8: Remote changing of functions, most other systems you can change the power, Groups, sync mode etc from an app or another controller or the remote flashes themselves.
9: Second curtain sync, others can do it even within the Canon RT system!
Yes a good list. For sure Canon could bring alot of improvements to their flashes.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
1: AI bounce technology from the 470EX-Ai (it is awesome).
2: LP-E6N batteries.
3: Much bigger and better resolution screen that shows all Groups at the same time.
4: Much more intuitive menus.
5: Wider zoom without needing the diffusion panel.
6: Faster recycle time.
7: Cost realignment, flashes shouldn’t cost $500 and more considering the competition, choices and options.

P.S.
8: Remote changing of functions, most other systems you can change the power, Groups, sync mode etc from an app or another controller or the remote flashes themselves.
9: Second curtain sync, others can do it even within the Canon RT system!
I was doing some housekeeping today (making sure batteries were charged up for my strobes and battery packs) and I remembered something that I really wish they would fix. If you are using multiple speedlites in a single group (for example, three lights in an modifier all set to group "B") and just one of the speedlites starts to lose power and the recycle time slows down, the other two speedlights won't fire until the third light is ready.

I've had to stop the shoot, take the cover off the modifier and try to figure out which light is not recycling, then either change the batteries in the single light or shut it off.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I was doing some housekeeping today (making sure batteries were charged up for my strobes and battery packs) and I remembered something that I really wish they would fix. If you are using multiple speedlites in a single group (for example, three lights in an modifier all set to group "B") and just one of the speedlites starts to lose power and the recycle time slows down, the other two speedlights won't fire until the third light is ready.

I've had to stop the shoot, take the cover off the modifier and try to figure out which light is not recycling, then either change the batteries in the single light or shut it off.
Yes, battery indicators!

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Profoto A1X is the new standard. Round headm, magnets, one battery that recharges. i stopped using all my canon flashes. I had 5 600 rts
Ditto. Three 600 EX-RTs. Good, but the A1X is better in the shape of the light and the very elegant means of attaching diffusers (love the Soft Bounce!), grids, and filters.

Upvote 0
Ditto. Three 600 EX-RTs. Good, but the A1X is better in the shape of the light and the very elegant means of attaching diffusers (love the Soft Bounce!), grids, and filters.
That's right. But what use is a flash if it is not compatible.
The A1X is currently not compatible with the new Canon cameras.
So I'm looking forward to the new Canon flash

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I strongly doubt that. The Profoto A1 / A1X is a toy, but not for professionals.
The attachments with magnets fall off easily, especially at events, and the head is not good fixed if you quickly switch to portrait format.
The only good thing is the battery.
The A1 and A1X are not compatible with the latest Canon DSLR cameras, and only to a limited extent with the mirrorless R-series.
I expect the new Canon flash will be much better than the A1X.
Another assessment from one who does not own the gear he’s criticizing. The A1X has stronger magnets than the A1. An “event” for me consists of research-grade field nature photography, especially macrophotography* (thus making the A1X a “pro” flash). I’m using filters, grids, and the Soft Bounce in rough country, and I have not had anything fall off. The battery is just one good feature.

I can’t address the 1 DX Mark III, but I know from personal experience that the A1X is fully compatible with the 5D Mark IV, the EOS RP, the EOS R, and the EOS R5. That includes the Air Remote TTL-C radio trigger.

I have no doubt that the new Canon flash(es) will be good; my three 600 EX-RTs were good. But not likely Profoto good.
Due to the cost, Profoto strobes are not for everyone, and Profoto does not represent them as such. But those who use Profoto appreciate their long-term reliability and consistency of light output and color after years of use.

* See iNaturalist, the Maryland Biodiversity Project, the Maryland Plant Atlas, Maryland Moths and Butterflies, The Encyclopedia of Life, 2019 Maryland Department of Natural Resources Grand Prize Winner, The Kaufman Field Guide to Nature of New England, etc.

Upvote 0
Another assessment from one who does not own the gear he’s criticizing. The A1X has stronger magnets than the A1. An “event” for me consists of research-grade field nature photography, especially macrophotography* (thus making the A1X a “pro” flash). I’m using filters, grids, and the Soft Bounce in rough country, and I have not had anything fall off. The battery is just one good feature.

I can’t address the 1 DX Mark III, but I know from personal experience that the A1X is fully compatible with the 5D Mark IV, the EOS RP, the EOS R, and the EOS R5. That includes the Air Remote TTL-C radio trigger.

I have no doubt that the new Canon flash(es) will be good; my three 600 EX-RTs were good. But not likely Profoto good.
Due to the cost, Profoto strobes are not for everyone, and Profoto does not represent them as such. But those who use Profoto appreciate their long-term reliability and consistency of light output and color after years of use.

* See iNaturalist, the Maryland Biodiversity Project, the Maryland Plant Atlas, Maryland Moths and Butterflies, The Encyclopedia of Life, 2019 Maryland Department of Natural Resources Grand Prize Winner, The Kaufman Field Guide to Nature of New England, etc.

I own the A1 and I know the accessories very well. A few weeks after I invested 1000 bucks, Profoto reduced the price to 500 bucks. That is the first major nuisance.
The magnets are very bad, at least at events with a lot of people and crowds the magnet-tools are not needed. And that's what event photographers are interested in. I've lost a lot of magnet tools. If you're alone, the magnet tools are sure to be good.
The magnet may be better with the A1x update.
I would like to buy the A1x and test that, and then I would have an A1 and an A1x.

But I won't buy until the A1x is compatible with the 1DX III.
7 months I am waiting of an update-firmware, nothing happened.
Check the technical specs:
And mirrorless cameras have limited compatibility. The R5 and R6, same the 1DX III, are also not in the compatibility list.
So I'm really looking forward to the new Canon Flash.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
A few weeks after I invested 1000 bucks, Profoto reduced the price to 500 bucks.
Yeah, tough luck. But they didn’t do that to spite you.
The magnets are very bad...
Old news. They fixed that with the A1X. While there is nothing wrong with noting that the first edition of a product had issues, it makes no sense to harp on the matter. My grandpap told me that his Model T lacked AC, windows, ABS, power seats, GPS, and a roof, but he moved on.
And mirrorless cameras have limited compatibility. The R5 and R6, same the 1DX III, are also not in the compatibility list.
You keep saying that, while the A1X keeps working on and off my RP and my R5. Can you specify where the incompatibility manifests?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Yeah, tough luck. But they didn’t do that to spite you."

But they do spite me. They could give update-price for A1-clients.

"Old news. They fixed that with the A1X. "

Too late for me. At 1000 bucks I am precise and meticulous. Profoto told me all is so super perfect and I took her at her word. But everything wasn't perfect, otherwise she wouldn't have released the update after such a short time.

" Can you specify where the incompatibility manifests? "

I don't have the A1x. I don't risk buying it as long as my camera isn't on the compatibility list. I wrote to Profoto Sweden, they reply that they are working on it, I've been waiting for 7 months.
Everything worked fine with my old camera, except for the problems with the magnets and the loose head mount when changing formats quickly.
Now with the 1DX III my old A1 works, but does not flash constantly in series mode. I think the 16 or 20 frames / second are too fast.
I don't know how the new A1x will work.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
I'm not sure what more a light can do. More powerful, great.
But then I almost always use them on manual.

A Canon source will ALWAYS tell you it's "a big step forward".
One thing is for sure, it will be "a big step backward" in your wallet, considering previous Canon pricing.
Let's hope it does not heat up like the EOS R5 does. Man oh man, what is Canon doing these days...

Upvote 0