Canon SX40 vs S95

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
I cannot tell you which one better meets your needs, but I can say for me, the SX40 is on my list way before the S95. In fact I just got one for my sister for Christmas, and now I'm tempted to keep it myself. ::) Personally, most anything that I take with a non-SLR I figure is a compromise, and I like "up-close-and-personal" images which you have to literally be with the S95's limited zoom and are therefore more easily achieved with the SX40. And for the always have it with you size factor, cell phone images are better than none at all.

So the questions you have to ask yourself are what kind of shots do you intend to use it for, and how important is size?

Best of luck in your decision!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
They are really for two different usages, a tiny pocketable camera with high quality images versus a large body with a wide zoom range and smaller sensor. Good mostly for outdoors or with lots of light or flash indoors.

Many people love the long zoom range, while some want the small form factor. Its a choice only you can make.

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
One additional thing, if I wanted a S95, I would strongly consider a Canon Refurb for $256. My fingers are way to large to operate it, and I want a viewfinder.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_276388_-1

Actually, B&H has the S95 on sale for only $280! It expires on 12/19. You have to have use the code: EMBL1212CA95. This link will take you there:

https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=EMBL1212CA95&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Upvote 0
W

wireplanner

I bought the SX40 and love it. It`s a great camera for travel or events where they tell you "no professional cameras allowed". The main reason I bought it was for a trip to Australia, I Just did not feel like lugging around 15 lbs of equipment. It was great, the zoom is fantastic ( and that's why i bought it ) and the IQ is fine. I payed under 500 for it on Amazon. If I feel the need to shoot Raw, or better IQ, out comes the 7D or 40D or better yet, the EOS-1n.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Rampado said:
I have to buy a compact camera this week... should I go for S95 or the S100?

Put in the formula I live in Brazil (cameras are way more expensive here) and I already have a T2i with a set of lenses.

Depends on your budget. Both are fine cameras. I think the S100 is a significant upgrade in many ways (I bought one, and my wife now uses the S95).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.