Canon SX40HS? what can we expect...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bimbobo

Hi,
I look forward to "read" about this cam. :) :)
Except the fact that like Pana FZ150 it will have 12 MP, we do not know wether or not it will have
S95/S100 new sensor, a new HS like those in the SX230 or newer one.
I hope but do not expect the new Digic V processor.

It would be great, so they couls also let us test it in the real world, but I am sure it will not be used on SX40HS.

This is the last cam I will await.
Either this new one, or the FZ 150. The Fuji HS20 was returned because of bad noise and difficult choice of best settings.

I like Canon IQ in general, let's hope it has less CA, more burst option for motion/sport pics, and a better noise handling.
Hot shoe and RAW would be necessary too to my final choice.
Video at 1080P optional, as it was already pretty good in SX30IS even though in 720.

Regards

M

Mega

All the rumors do say 12 MP... the first time I saw that I assumed it was a typo since the current model (SX30 IS) is 14.1 MP.

But I agree that with the name changing from "IS" (Image Stabilized) to "HS" (High Sensitivity) and the MP count going down to 12, that is very strong evidence it will have the same CMOS sensor as the SX230 HS.

I don’t know enough about this different sensor to know if this is a good move or not. I assume the sensor is the same size since another rumor is that it will continue to be 35x, and to pull that off with a bigger sensor would mean the physical size would have to increase, which is unlikely.

I too am hoping for Digic 5. But the latest rumor on the main page says we won't see Digic 5 until the next batch of DSLRs are out.

I think 1080p is a given. Pretty much all the new ones have that, and it’s a sought-after feature that all the competition is already doing.

Speaking of competition: While waiting on this announcement I've been educating myself on the competition, and I am highly interested in the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V.

The more I read about that camera, the harder I think it's going to be for the SX40 to beat it (at least for me). So unless the SX40 has some good surprises, I think the DSC-HX100V might be my next purchase.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
bimbobo said:
Hi,
I look forward to "read" about this cam. :) :)
Except the fact that like Pana FZ150 it will have 12 MP, we do not know wether or not it will have
S95/S100 new sensor, a new HS like those in the SX230 or newer one.
I hope but do not expect the new Digic V processor.

It would be great, so they couls also let us test it in the real world, but I am sure it will not be used on SX40HS.

This is the last cam I will await.
Either this new one, or the FZ 150. The Fuji HS20 was returned because of bad noise and difficult choice of best settings.

I like Canon IQ in general, let's hope it has less CA, more burst option for motion/sport pics, and a better noise handling.
Hot shoe and RAW would be necessary too to my final choice.
Video at 1080P optional, as it was already pretty good in SX30IS even though in 720.

Regards
I think, maybe Canon should produce 2 parallel versions of each SX model - HS for high sensitivity and HD for high definition (for low ISO details). The crowd was yelling for high ISO, but the results are - smeared low ISO details and lots of useless megapixels (specially JPG output). This may work for S and G PowerShots as well. :-\

Upvote 0
G

Gnuppe Pastill

bimbobo said:
..o I would like 30X and 12MP, 1080P video, S95 sensor, and more busrt shooting options like the HS20 or the FZ150.
That would really be a "bridge" camera and sweep out the competitors imho.

Yes, I agree with you. But I don´t think Canon dare to do it because of the protection of their own DSLR line :-[ but I hope I´m wrong.
So...... in CASE of continuing with the tiny sensor, lets hope Fujifilm put in the x10 2/3" (8.8 x 6.6 mm) sensor into their next superzoom HS30 next year! That camera would be something!!

Upvote 0
M

Mega

Gnuppe Pastill said:
... I don´t think Canon dare to do it because of the protection of their own DSLR line :-[ but I hope I´m wrong.
This is something I used to ponder. I used to think that if Canon (or anyone else) made a camera that was good enough, versatile enough, and inexpensive enough, everyone would buy it and they would no longer be able to sell expensive DSLRs, and other specialty cameras like camcorders.

But now that I understand the physics better, without some quantum leap in technology, you will never be able to bundle the image quality and speed of a large sensor DSLR and the zoom range of a Super-Zoom and the video capabilities of a camcorder into a single compact package. At least not yet. For now, it’s all about trade-offs.

I am still thinking that a super-zoom with 1080p video capabilities is going to be as close as I am going to get to what I actually want (which is all of the above). Thought I am now also thinking about the S100. To have everything but the big zoom and even better IQ in something that will fit in my pocket is pretty appealing as well.

Upvote 0
ecka said:
I think, maybe Canon should produce 2 parallel versions of each SX model - HS for high sensitivity and HD for high definition (for low ISO details). The crowd was yelling for high ISO, but the results are - smeared low ISO details and lots of useless megapixels (specially JPG output). This may work for S and G PowerShots as well. :-\
The "crowd" that want high ISO are not buying superzooms. An 840mm effective focal length on a big sensor isn't hand holdable.

Upvote 0
Gnuppe Pastill said:
But I don´t think Canon dare to do it because of the protection of their own DSLR line :-[

They could put an S95 sensor on it, and it would be more expensive than their DSLRs and still come nowhere near bridging the gap in terms of image quality.

Canon worrying about a super zoom threatening their DSLR line is like Toyota worrying about the Corolla threatening their smaller Lexus models.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
elflord said:
ecka said:
The "crowd" that want high ISO are not buying superzooms. An 840mm effective focal length on a big sensor isn't hand holdable.
Since when the "crowd" that want high ISO are not buying superzooms? ??? The internet is full of discussions about "the best P&S for low light (aka high ISO)" including superzooms.
However, I agree with you, they shouldn't use a small sensor P&S at high ISO. But, they do and that's the problem.

Upvote 0
ecka said:
Since when the "crowd" that want high ISO are not buying superzooms? ???
The internet is full of discussions about "the best P&S for low light (aka high ISO)" including superzooms.
However, I agree with you, they shouldn't use a small sensor P&S at high ISO. But, they do and that's the problem.

I'm assuming that the user in question is informed. There's not much point trying to meet the demands of people who don't understand the trade offs involved -- you will never be able to deliver everything on their wish list. For example some might wish for the S95 sensor in a super zoom, but are they willing to have a camera that is double the weight and costs twice as much ?

I'm not completely sure what you meant by "high ISO". High maximum ISO is easy to do (and in my opinion the ISO settings on most of these cameras go quite a long way above usable levels SX30IS goes up to 1600, I'd have reservations about using an APS-C this high), but I think we both agree that being able to crank the ISO up is of limited use if the sensor can't produce decent images at high ISO.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
elflord said:
ecka said:
Since when the "crowd" that want high ISO are not buying superzooms? ???
The internet is full of discussions about "the best P&S for low light (aka high ISO)" including superzooms.

I'm assuming that the user in question is informed. There's not much point trying to meet the demands of people who don't understand the trade offs involved -- you will never be able to deliver everything on their wish list. For example some might wish for the S95 sensor in a super zoom, but are they willing to have a camera that is double the weight and costs twice as much ?

I'm not completely sure what you meant by "high ISO". High maximum ISO is easy to do (and in my opinion the ISO settings on most of these cameras go quite a long way above usable levels SX30IS goes up to 1600, I'd have reservations about using an APS-C this high), but I think we both agree that being able to crank the ISO up is of limited use if the sensor can't produce decent images at high ISO.
It all goes down to personal preference and the level of tolerance. IMHO, most of the modern P&S cameras can deliver a decent IQ (JPG) at base ISO + 1 or 2 stops higher (depending on the lighting). Some P&S can produce usable results at ISO 400-800, but anything past that is just to "get the shot". It may be possible to expand these limits up to one more stop by shooting in RAW format, which would prevent some detail smearing caused by in-camera NR. However, my level of tolerance is very low and 99% of all my P&S images were shot at ISO 80 and just a few images at ISO 200-400. When talking about APS-C sensor ISOs (like Canon's current 18mp) it is a bit different story. It's good at 100-250, decent at 320-800 and usable up to 3200. Expecting the same from a small sensor P&S is insane. Most people (the "crowd") have a high level of tolerance, so they prefer P&S because of the price and "pocketability" no matter what IQ compromises being made. P&S manufacturers are profit making companies and the main thing they care about is a happy "crowd", because it's their main income source.

Upvote 0
G

Gnuppe Pastill

ecka said:
-- you will never be able to deliver everything on their wish list. For example some might wish for the S95 sensor in a super zoom, but are they willing to have a camera that is double the weight and costs twice as much ?

This seven years old Canon (Powershot Pro1) has a larger sensor than s90/95/100 and just imagine what Canon could have tranformed it into, with seven years of development........if they wanted.........a killer!
http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_pro1

Upvote 0
M

Mega

Not sure if anyone wants to see this feedback being the Canon Rumors site... but after careful consideration I decided to go with the Sony DSC-HX100V.

The 1080p/60 AVCHD movies is what pushed me over the edge. I just didn't want to deal with QuickTime, or converting or burning all my movies to Blu-ray just to be playable on my PS3.

Now that I have the camera, I realize a lot of the "gimmicky" stuff it has is actually pretty useful. What the camera lacks in low light performance sensor-wise, it seems to make up for with clever electronics. For instance, I set it to "evening handheld" mode and took a shot zoomed all the way in (30x) on the moon. The shutter clicked about 6 or 7 times in rapid succession, and then it produced a single beautiful crystal-clear shot of the moon with very little noise: Download from here. The fake depth-of-field effect is very nice as well. It takes two shots, one in focus, and one out of focus and combines them to simulate a portrait lens. The end results is quite good, and looks very DSLR-ish.
Without an SX40 HS in hand to compare with, I can't say definitively the DSC-HX100V beats it, but I can say I am very happy with my purchase, and the 60p movies look absolutely stunning and fluid-smooth on my HDTV via my PS3. I can just slap them on my media share, and the family can call them up whenever they want. :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.