Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
I really think that for Canon there are only two types of users: Occasional shooters (let's call them "consumers" for now) and the so called "professionals" (= press & famous photographers). They totally forget about the "enthusiasts".
"Consumers" only need mid-quality video features, certainly no 24p and no high end 4K and the like. There's also no need for good primes on a system made for "Consumers" - that is the EOS-M.
"Professionals" will buy or rent a decent (Cinema EOS) camera if the need one. So: No need for exceptional video features in higher end photo cameras as well.
But the "Enthusiasts", the wedding photographers, music video people and all who want one camera for everything (due to cost and size reasons) are still left alone by Canon's decisions.

But the FW update with enhanced eye-AF and the re-introduction of 24p makes me hope that there is a change going on at Canon headquarters. *fingerscrossed*

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Fairly old. Is that this years fairly old (I need new sensor tech, no matter how bad the color looks, every six months old) or the R&D started within the last 3 years old? (sensible and solid manufacturing)

It's basically the 5D4 sensor with microlenses adjusted for the more extreme angles at the edges caused by the shorter distance between lens and sensor. IIRC that meant it was 4 years old when the R launched.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Uh huh... I bet their well paid market research team told them this too, huh???

Canon knows better... all other companies are so dumb, why aren’t they hiring market researchers to tell them not to include 24p.... so dumb of Fuji, Sony, etc.

Their market research team must be doing something right. I refer you to the September BCN figures.

Most people don’t even know the difference, and seeing all those options is confusing. I had to explain this setting to someone who was literally stressed out about getting it wrong.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I really think that for Canon there are only two types of users: Occasional shooters (let's call them "consumers" for now) and the so called "professionals" (= press & famous photographers). They totally forget about the "enthusiasts".
"Consumers" only need mid-quality video features, certainly no 24p and no high end 4K and the like. There's also no need for good primes on a system made for "Consumers" - that is the EOS-M.
"Professionals" will buy or rent a decent (Cinema EOS) camera if the need one. So: No need for exceptional video features in higher end photo cameras as well.
But the "Enthusiasts", the wedding photographers, music video people and all who want one camera for everything (due to cost and size reasons) are still left alone by Canon's decisions.

But the FW update with enhanced eye-AF and the re-introduction of 24p makes me hope that there is a change going on at Canon headquarters. *fingerscrossed*

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
So with 24p how many of you rushed out to buy the Canon cameras with it?
"Crickets" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It was done so where is the avalanch of action to get the 24p cameras?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
The R has a fairly old sensor and is probably not capable of 120fps in Full HD.

Let us see.
Sony recycles the same old and worn out sensor for the a9II and that is wonderful because Sony calls it "Proven" or in another way of saying it we are just adding some bells and whistles for suckers and they get the same old worn out tech. Yet I never hear a complaint about this.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Except that the real money is in the enthusiast market. Professionals are a small group by comparison. This enthusiast doesn't care one single bit about video. Zero. Others might, but this one doesn't.

Upvote 0
Product segmentation should only be hardware based. Give your customers the most functionality the hardware they purchase is capable of. Yes, $2k cameras today are doing things only dedicated $50k rigs could do a decade ago, but there are hundreds of times the number of people creating content now, and production quality (and demand for ever higher production quality) keeps going up. As people make money on cheaper gear, they'll naturally gravitate towards the more advanced hardware and customization options of more expensive gear. Canon's mission and business strategy should be to lower the barriers to creating content, not to squeeze every last dollar they can.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
It's basically the 5D4 sensor with microlenses adjusted for the more extreme angles at the edges caused by the shorter distance between lens and sensor. IIRC that meant it was 4 years old when the R launched.

The 5d4 launched in September 2016. So I guess the R with the 4 year old sensor at launch must be coming out in late 2020... :unsure:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The 5d4 launched in September 2016. So I guess the R with the 4 year old sensor at launch must be coming out in late 2020... :unsure:
Don't confuse people with the maths. ;) The real question is: What could they do better with a brand new sensor than with an old worn out model. Photographers or tech collectors/fetishists? There are a lot of fetishists around here. I have a brother in law that buys a Harley now and then. He customizes the heck out of them, then sells them at a loss. He never rides them. Ever. They might get dirty. To me, he's a fetishist. He knows every spec. He uses none of them.

Same story with a lot of lens collectors. They are always showing photos of their latest thrift store find. Nothing else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Product segmentation should only be hardware based. Give your customers the most functionality the hardware they purchase is capable of. Yes, $2k cameras today are doing things only dedicated $50k rigs could do a decade ago, but there are hundreds of times the number of people creating content now, and production quality (and demand for ever higher production quality) keeps going up. As people make money on cheaper gear, they'll naturally gravitate towards the more advanced hardware and customization options of more expensive gear. Canon's mission and business strategy should be to lower the barriers to creating content, not to squeeze every last dollar they can.
Damn, that made a lot of sense. Bravo!

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

I definitely don' t feel left alone, but I think you have a tendency to negatively oversimplify your opinion of big bad Canon...

• Love
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Damn, that made a lot of sense. Bravo!
Does it? Sounds as if producing software (or other non-material intellectual property) doesn't require involving time, money and people.
Anyway, what we have now (on the market) is a result of a subtle balance between what we want, what we are going to eventually pay for, and what the producers have to and want to offer (like a rope pulling). In this context, I don't think a greedy approach (♫I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now ♫) is sustainable for both, the consumers and producers.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Does it? Sounds as if producing software (or other non-material intellectual property) doesn't require involving time, money and people.
Anyway, what we have now (on the market) is a result of a subtle balance between what we want, what we are going to eventually pay for, and what the producers have to and want to offer (like a rope pulling). In this context, I don't think a greedy approach (♫I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now ♫) is sustainable for both, the consumers and producers.
"I want" is what makes the world go 'round.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0