Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

Even old analog CRT computer displays almost never had vertical refresh synchronized with the mains frequency. A CRT at 60Hz flickers very noticeably and irritatingly, never mind at 50Hz! 75Hz was widely seen as the minimum reasonable frequency for long-term usage, and high-end monitors would refresh at 90 or 100Hz.

Digital LCD displays would basically standardize at 60Hz because unlike with CRTs, flicker is not that big of a big problem, and getting LCDs to refresh even that quickly without ghosting or reduction in contrast was a fairly difficult engineering challenge. They're fundamentally DC semiconductor devices anyway, so mains frequency does not matter at all.
What do analog CRT computer displays have to do with this?

Upvote 0
My coworkers from the editing and marketing departments would whine all day to me if I ever deliver a 25fps for them to work with, since this format is a nightmare to blend with any 24fps content without introducing very noticeable frame skipping or time demaning tasks to fix it.
Then get a professional film camera and not a consumer camera. I hardly shoot film at all and refuse to pay extra for something I will never use in a CONSUMER camera. Buy a professional film camera like Canon wants you to do it.. Whine about a 5D not having it but stop whining about consumer cameras not having it, as most people will only film family outings without ever doing advanced editing in a PROFESSIONAL setting

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Even old analog CRT computer displays almost never had vertical refresh synchronized with the mains frequency. A CRT at 60Hz flickers very noticeably and irritatingly, never mind at 50Hz! 75Hz was widely seen as the minimum reasonable frequency for long-term usage, and high-end monitors would refresh at 90 or 100Hz.

Digital LCD displays would basically standardize at 60Hz because unlike with CRTs, flicker is not that big of a big problem, and getting LCDs to refresh even that quickly without ghosting or reduction in contrast was a fairly difficult engineering challenge. They're fundamentally DC semiconductor devices anyway, so mains frequency does not matter at all.
Many smaller displays have the power fed to it by a DC adapter (often 12VDC), and the same adapter works on 50 or 60 hz, and from 95 to 250 volts.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The idea that "professionals" are out spending big bucks just because they are "professionals" is the silliest thing I have ever heard. Most professionals are eating hand to mouth. .
there is a very good reason why the phrase “starving artist” exists....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0