Canon to announce an RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS (Defocus Smoothing)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It appears Canon has trademarked “DS” or defocus smoothing and that the feature will appear in an upcoming Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS.
It appears that we’re going to see both an RF 85mm f/1.2L USM and an RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS announced on Thursday.
85dsgraphic.jpg
You can see the “DS” labeling on one of the RF 85mm f/1.2L lenses
What is defocus smoothing? if we had to guess, it’s likely a way to improve the look of out of focus areas or “bokeh”.
Anything that makes an 85mm f/1.2L bokeh even better is going to be pretty awesome.
There have been a lot of patents over the last few years for Canon lenses with apodization filters, which could be related to the Defocus Smoothing we’re seeing here.
That would make RF 6 lenses to be...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
It may be an apodization element, like with Sony/Minolta STF or Fuji APD.

I was thinking along the same lines. The APD elements really create impressive results for out-of-focus areas. But I also hear they suffer a steep light transmission penalty; somewhere between 2/3 to 1.5 stops. Not that it really matters with a 1.2 lens, though.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If it is two 85's then it shouldn't off been too much to adapt the non DS models to DS.

Fuji's APD as mentioned about by Padam had a downside but I forget what that was.
In Fuji's case it is not compatible with phase-detect AF.
I was thinking along the same lines. The APD elements really create impressive results for out-of-focus areas. But I also hear they suffer a steep light transmission penalty; somewhere between 2/3 to 1.5 stops. Not that it really matters with a 1.2 lens, though.
That's inevitable, but of course as a latest development, the light loss might not be as severe.
Personally, the EF 85/1.2 already hits the mark, where the blur doesn't need to be smoother still (for way less money). Looking at STF examples, in some cases it looks too smooth for me to the point of not being as characterful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
85mm is the one "zoom" focal length I really miss. Terrified about the likely price point though... f/1.2 L, would be nice to have a 1.4 or 1.8 option for the RF mount

Get the EF 85 1.4. It is a FANTASTIC lens. It'll probably one of the later lenses to be updated to RF since it was released recently.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Speed of focusing will be interesting.
The RF 85mm 1.2 II is slow (but 1.6 times faster than the 85mm 1.2 original).
Focus by wire isn't great.
I assume this would be much better.
I love my 85mm 1.2 as when it nails it, it nails it.
Very easy not to be in focus.

I guess you meant The EF 1,2/85 II...

Upvote 0