Canon to announce an RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS (Defocus Smoothing)

Mar 25, 2011
I expect to see another batch of lenses and another mirrorless camera this year. Canon mentioned pulling people from R&D to work on body and lens designs, so they are going all out. Firmware releases have been typically a bottleneck, I believe that there are not enough at Canon to handle all the new products, so I expect the firmware for the R to be updated March 31 or there abouts. If they are going all out on yet another body, the firmware adding features may be further delayed, but it will definitely arrive.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Probably for the same reason I would.

Lighter bodies
Heavier lenses

While impressive there's very few lightweight RF lenses. In fact so far there's the 35mm 1.8 and just a 24-240 on the horizon.

Granted, the RF24-105 is cheap and suitable for a lot.

I am confident that we will see smaller and lighter lenses as well as the new amazing L-lenses. The 85 F1.8 has been rumored already.

I am very satisfied with the images I get from the RF 35 f1.8, and I really appreciate it´s size and weight.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Probably for the same reason I would.

Lighter bodies
Heavier lenses

While impressive there's very few lightweight RF lenses. In fact so far there's the 35mm 1.8 and just a 24-240 on the horizon.
If the RF body comes with an EF adapter, there are plenty of lightweight (or not so lightweight) lenses to put on it.

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Guess you would be really pleased if Canon had introduced some cheap and crappy lenses.
Some people are hard to satisfy.

I was thinking the same. Bring out a bunch of cheaper lenses, people be screaming that it's not pro enough and that canon is failing and Sony is going to rule the world. Come out with expensive lenses and people complain there aren't cheaper lenses. :ROFLMAO: and btw, Sony's A7iii is cheaper than the EOS R. so go knock yourself out! and anyone else wanting that - please.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
One of the popular photo websites (DPReview maybe) posted an informal study, where they asked people what they thought of photos with various amounts of bokeh. Turns out that people in the "study" didn't really care much about it, and sometimes even wondered why the background was out of focus. I'm sure people shooting with extremely shallow dof aren't catering to just any old person, but beyond a certain point, it really doesn't matter anymore--to anyone. But yes, I too love me some bokeh from time to time (I just try not to overdo it).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
People bag on the Yongnuos, but price-to-performance, they are simply outstanding, especially if you need autofocus. These shots are from the 35mm F2 on a 5D classic.
I'll take inexpensive EF over a Yongnuo. I think the IQ is better. Not knocking your photos or your choice.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I'll take inexpensive EF over a Yongnuo. I think the IQ is better. Not knocking your photos or your choice.

Thanks - I can respect that ;) It's inarguable that there are many better-built and better performing EF lenses, but for the money, I'm consistently surprised at how much performance I can squeeze out of this thing.

I tried two Yongs, one had to be AFMA'd so badly, my 5D3 couldn't go top that high a number, the other was incredibly soft at all apertures. YGWYPF

It's certainly possible I just happened across a good copy.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Thanks - I can respect that ;) It's inarguable that there are many better-built and better performing EF lenses, but for the money, I'm consistently surprised at how much performance I can squeeze out of this thing.

It's certainly possible I just happened across a good copy.
I love when that happens! I had a good copy of the EF 24-70 Mk1 L and never understood all the bashing, maybe not a good analogy, being a costly lens....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I love when that happens! I had a good copy of the EF 24-70 Mk1 L and never understood all the bashing, maybe not a good analogy, being a costly lens....

That's rad! Haha, it's kind of fun when your own experience with a lens is strangely better than other people's.

Yeah, when I finally invest in the R ecosystem, I would love to shoot with higher end glass. I'm especially drooling over the prospect of getting a killer RF 85mm 1.2L, like either of those mentioned here, and an RF 24mm 1.4L (dare they make one?) or an RF 35mm 1.4L. Then again, if the Holy Trinity glass is sharp enough, I may need to join the zoom shooters . . .

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
That's rad! Haha, it's kind of fun when your own experience with a lens is strangely better than other people's.

Yeah, when I finally invest in the R ecosystem, I would love to shoot with higher end glass. I'm especially drooling over the prospect of getting a killer RF 85mm 1.2L, like either of those mentioned here, and an RF 24mm 1.4L (dare they make one?) or an RF 35mm 1.4L. Then again, if the Holy Trinity glass is sharp enough, I may need to join the zoom shooters . . .
I've been on the other end of the spectrum as well. My 100-400 Mk2 L was the softest copy anyone had seen.

Upvote 0