Canon to announce at least 6 new RF lenses next week

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
That's true. And one of the drawings in the 70-200 patent application had a moving front element, so a telescoping barrel could be a possibility.

In a market where size and weight are allegedly very important, it makes sense. Does anyone else make a telescoping 70-200 f/2.8? It seems like a good trade off to me, but I suspect there was a reason the 70-200 lenses settled on non-telescoping, I just haven't been doing this long enough to know why. Still, it looks like a positive to me.

I'm also anxious for them to get around to the 100-400 zoom. Not because I'll buy it right away, but because I want it on the market soon so it's readily available on the used market when I'm ready for it. It will also be interesting to see if there is any size and weight available for them to take out.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing at least one of the possible 8 lenses is the 50mm that's been rumored. I guess I'd be surprised there wasn't a 24-70 & 70-300 lens for the consumer. Mostly because why wouldn't they want to sell you two? I guess if the new lens is more expensive with greater performance, the "cheap' lenses of R will occupy the space of the midrange that used to be out there in the form of EF-S upgraded lenses.

Upvote 0
Geez I hope they get their act together and this body has better AF. I'd love to go back to Canon - but that first RF body is half-baked at best. I'm on the cusp of moving to the Fuji system due to the X-T3, but maybe Canon will surprise with this next option.
With their claims of eye af on more modes, I'm wondering if they've upgraded their algorithms to be more efficient? On the Sony models, the focusing parts of the sensors were different between then A9 and the A7III models. However all of their models have upgraded eye focusing capabilities based on firmware updates, and the more advanced focusing sensors in the A9 are getting much improved tracking via software updates, along with adding that hardware to the cheaper a6400.

I'm wondering if we will see an announcement concerning better AF and eye focus tracking this with the current R. It wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't the case.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
That 70-200 looks tiny for a 2.8 - Please tell me it is not a telescoping design!

Or rather if it is, then I'll rush out and get the EF mk3 version...

I notice that this lens does not appear to feature the zoom lock/friction adjustment ring found on the 100-400 Mk2

In a market where size and weight are allegedly very important, it makes sense. Does anyone else make a telescoping 70-200 f/2.8? It seems like a good trade off to me, but I suspect there was a reason the 70-200 lenses settled on non-telescoping, I just haven't been doing this long enough to know why. Still, it looks like a positive to me.

Reasons why non-telescoping designs are preferable:
1) easier to weather seal / better better weather sealing
2) Less mass to move when zooming, which makes zooming easier
3) No chance of zoom creep when the lens is pointed down
4) No need to worry about a zoom lock switch being in the wrong setting
5) More consistant ballance in the hand

and finally (apologies if this not appropriate for all telescoping lenses, just the one I have but...)
6) When the lens is extended, then moves the focusing off so lenses will need to be refocused after zooming. This effect seems to be much more accute than for non-telescoping lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Rumoured RF lenses for 2019:
  • RF 16-35mm f/2.8L (or similar)
  • RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS (or similar)
  • RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (or similar)
  • RF 105mm f/1.4L
  • RF 85mm f/1.8 IS STM
  • RF Macro lens
  • RF non-L kit lens
Five lenses have already leaked and they include the following:
  • Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • Canon RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM
  • Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM
Is the 105 1.4 RF still coming? 85 1.2L seems to come out of nowhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
To me, the big news is the 24-240. It is not an L lens, and it goes to F6.3.

This is important! This tells us that kit lenses can hit the point where they get lighter and more affordable, this is where the top end of the crop cameras get squeezed!

If you are a new buyer, are you going to get a 80D and a kit lens, or are you going to go FF with a 10X kit lens for about the same price?

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0