Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Take your time Canon and get it right. The R is an excellent camera and a fine companion to the 5D. In the meantime, give people the high resolution version for those who want that. Give us the 1DxIII with better autofocus and slightly more resolution.

Decide what you want to do about the 7D user base (migrate to a RF mount or give them the DSLR they really want). The longer it takes, the better it all will be and the more time my wallet has to recover.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Now it’s a very big question to invest in the lenses line, because they might actually not be able to get a pro-body out at all. I was enthousiastic and willing to wait a little, but it looks like u have to wait until they actually get a real camera out to see if it’s worth investing in the linup
I agree it's smart to hold off buying any RF lenses until the R body you really want/need is released, but I have absolutely no doubt that Canon will succeed in making pro R bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Now it’s a very big question to invest in the lenses line, because they might actually not be able to get a pro-body out at all. I was enthousiastic and willing to wait a little, but it looks like u have to wait until they actually get a real camera out to see if it’s worth investing in the linup

yeah I agree. For sure the R is a good camera, but it's not really the pro body we're waiting for.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I agree it's smart to hold off buying any RF lenses until the R body you really want/need is released, but I have absolutely no doubt that Canon will succeed in making pro R bodies.

Until recently, I would have 100% agreed with you. But seeing Canon's financial statements this year, considering how the ILC industry as a whole is trying to find a significantly profitable direction, and feeling as if Canon is losing its commitment to the pro and prosumer customer base (admittedly due mostly to my impatience)...I am beginning to imagine a Canon that just spins off its EOS line to a Chinese or Indian company that would do who knows what with it. Oh, yes, this is a huge LEAP of anxiety, but the release of the tepid R with spectacular lenses, the likely abandonment of any more EF innovation, and the slowing release schedule feed into it.

And for those who dependably, furiously respond with great derision and indignation, please, remember...This is a RUMORS site! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Ergonomically a OVF adaptor could only really work with a body such as the M6 II and even then one wonders how it would be able to screw it in to attach. Possibly the M mount on the adaptor would have to rotate separately from the adaptor in order for it to attach without the viewfinder getting in the way.

One does really wonder if there's any point. Unless it's to finally kill off the DSLRs and get the 7D diehards over to mirrorless.

I can see the value of the DSLR that can become mirrorless. We all know that the current crop of aps-c cameras are functionally the same as the mirrorless models when used in Live View. If they kept the same focusing sensors of the current DSLR's, handing that off to the dual-pixel sensors to make a more precise auto-adjustment should be possible in a fraction of a second. (or they could just use that focus data as is). If they made the housing above the mirror a bit larger they could position the mirror in such a way that allows it to bounce off the projection from a EVF screen. This way when the mirror is locked up, it displays the evf and acts just like a typical mirrorless.

If that's how this patent works I'd say this is more of a 'make a dslr into a mirrorless'

The big issue is how you make this work with short registration distance lenses, like the R. Or do you just give up that functionality?

This sort of tech would work well with a replacement for the 7dII as well. They keep saying there's going to be a 'head scratching camera' and I don't think the 90d or m60 II was that.

Edit: If the mirror could slide up and down vertically, and the evf rotates into view, you could have the ability for the dslr to use R mount when R lenses are attached an use the OVF and focus sensor when EF lenses are mounted.

Upvote 0
Ergonomically a OVF adaptor could only really work with a body such as the M6 II and even then one wonders how it would be able to screw it in to attach. Possibly the M mount on the adaptor would have to rotate separately from the adaptor in order for it to attach without the viewfinder getting in the way.

One does really wonder if there's any point. Unless it's to finally kill off the DSLRs and get the 7D diehards over to mirrorless.

I kind of read the press release and thought...hey isn't the EOS R already bundled with a EF to Rf adapter...and then I realized from your post that they were inferring a EF to Rf adapter with a OVF in between! I think Friday is already having it's toll on me at 6:33 pm...

Upvote 0

Yes. The patent is weird. I thought of a way that it could work though.

Canon goes back to removable viewfinders.
The EVF removes and you attach the OVF viewfinder assembly and the adapter to the front of the 1DR.

That would be .. crazy.

Upvote 0
IF Canon is really not going to introduce a 5D level Rf mount until AFTER a 1DX kind of camera, wow, that is a frustrating, long wait.
I'm not sure where you get that from.

Simply put a 1 series camera body takes a long time for Canon to design, develop and put into limited manufacturing, test,test,test, and then finally ready for production. After the 1D Mark III incident, I suspect Canon's gotten even more careful about pre-testing the cameras.

Then we have the fact that Canon's busy doing the 1DX Mark III - I can imagine it's easier for Canon to stagger the releases.

This really has nothing to do with the 5 series cameras.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Have you tried a 5D Mark 4? It's a much bigger improvement over the 5D Mark 3 than specs suggest.
Yes I got one when they first launched it and used it along with my 5D3. I liked the touchscreen, the added cropping ability and the silent shutter but the price at the time 3200 didn’t justify the positives so I returned it. I shoot sports/events, portraits and landscapes so the 5D line has been a wonderful balance. Now the price is lower but the next camera hopefully is close and technology enough to justify the price.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
No need to hurry, or to buy anything from competition: the next generation EOS 1 will be ready for the Olympics.
Or did you think it possible for Canon to introduce half a dozen new cameras plus many lenses within 1 year?
Let's just be realistic!
And if you still believe the A 9 can compete with an EOS 1 D, take a look at the mud-caked (still working) EOS 1 Ds used during the Downhill World Championship in Mont Ste. Anne in Canada (www.pinkbike.com).

Upvote 0
One or more mod posted stories on this site. Maybe not enough to go on, but have you read ANYTHING about a 5 series type R in the works?

everything's pretty fuzzy really.

However, if you look at Canon's evolution of mirrorless in the last 12 months, they are getting closer to delivering a camera that would be in that category. They have managed to eek out 14 fps across 32MP. That's more than enough if they can get the full frame sensors working quickly enough to handle a 5D system. The AF is going to be dramatically improved in a few weeks for the R and RP. Good AF, fast processing is half the battle for a 5D styled camera.

Also - Canon won't go into the best marketing year in the last 20 years without some serious RF announcements. They will have HUGE presence at CP+, Photokina and their own Canon Expo next year.

I'd be shocked if we didn't get at least two EOS R cameras, but that's my own personal opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I'm very interested to see the new bodies Canon releases, mainly because I'm a geek...but I think (I hope) my perfect camera will be the R Mk II, whenever that comes about. I mainly want IBIS added. In the meantime, I'm still amazed by the R. Then again, this is coming from a guy who upgraded from a T3i...so, yeah. Haha...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Just my two cents, but I don't think we'll see the R Mk II until 2022. Guessing the main selling points will be IBIS, a new sensor, and an updated processor (all pretty safe bets).

I'm hearing from photographers already going dual body EOS for wedding now, having sold their 5D mk iv's. They want dual card bodies ideally, but like the EOS R much better. It would be a piece of cake to make a dual card version of the current EOS R. Some like myself, could care less about IBIS.

The one thing I hear most, like from about 9 in 10 photographers waiting on the next RF body, is the 2nd card slot.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Until recently, I would have 100% agreed with you. But seeing Canon's financial statements this year, considering how the ILC industry as a whole is trying to find a significantly profitable direction, and feeling as if Canon is losing its commitment to the pro and prosumer customer base (admittedly due mostly to my impatience)...I am beginning to imagine a Canon that just spins off its EOS line to a Chinese or Indian company that would do who knows what with it. Oh, yes, this is a huge LEAP of anxiety, but the release of the tepid R with spectacular lenses, the likely abandonment of any more EF innovation, and the slowing release schedule feed into it.

And for those who dependably, furiously respond with great derision and indignation, please, remember...This is a RUMORS site! ;)

After the past couple of months I actually started saying that I think Canon is going to wind down commitment to nature photographers. The fact that their best offering right now is the 5 year old 7Dii, I don't think that's a leap. I'm not sure what advantages a 7Dii has over an a6500 at this point, especially now that Sony is putting out 600mm lenses. I was REALLY hoping for something, but Canon's silence speaks volume. No APS-C mirrorless, no replacement for the 7Dii, no pro-body R for at least 2 years...If the prototype pro-body R is already out, that means the specs on it aren't going to change a TON. Which means once again we'll be getting old tech compared to what Sony & Nikon shooters get. Really starting to regret all the Canon glass I bought.

Upvote 0