Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
I'm not sure where you get that from.

Simply put a 1 series camera body takes a long time for Canon to design, develop and put into limited manufacturing, test,test,test, and then finally ready for production. After the 1D Mark III incident, I suspect Canon's gotten even more careful about pre-testing the cameras.

Then we have the fact that Canon's busy doing the 1DX Mark III - I can imagine it's easier for Canon to stagger the releases.

This really has nothing to do with the 5 series cameras.
What was the mark iii incident?

Upvote 0
I'm a wildlife shooter and recently invested in Canon's new 600mm mark III. It's light, incredible and works well with my 1DX II and 5D Mark IV. That said, I'm worried how this lens, along with the rest of my EF lineup, will interact with the new mirrorless bodies. I don't have the EOS R as it was too slow for my needs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the adapter will not slow down autofocus one bit....it does add more connection points regardless. Even a very minor or small lag can be a deal breaker in the wildlife space. I'll want to buy this new pro mirrorless body in a few years as it will be their fastest camera and an EVF along with a silent shutter are all major positives as far as I'm concerned. That said, the major drawback will be any loss of capability when using the adapter with the EF telephoto line. I can't imagine Canon would be releasing a full range of super telephoto RF glass by 2021. And if they do pull something like that off, they should've went toward that entire direction earlier rather than releasing recent EF updates to the 600mm and 400mm f/2.8 lenses...as well as an upcoming 1DX Mark III.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
On the topic of dual cards, what is the latest workflow for onsite backup? I haven’t had to do that since the glory days of the 6D release when we had four of those in our studio.

Seriously considering selling all of our 5D Mark IVs and going to R since the price of grey market is in the toilet right now and I want to move to single body shooting events with 28-70 & 70-200 and use our RPs for backup. Could sell all our primes and really simplify our day. Also doing more video than ever.

I’m betting we see under $1,500 for an R around Black Friday. They’re already around $1,530 right now.

Message me if you do onsite backup for weddings and fast paced events. Don’t want to stink up the thread with more Dual Card slot debate. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I guess that is good and all if you want a Sony. I have no desire for one, so not too slow for me. I want the DSLR version though 1dx3.
1DX MKIII - so many are waiting for it. Can't wait to see the specs. At least 5 people I know personally have money in hand and ready to go. This is very exciting.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Take your time Canon and get it right. The R is an excellent camera and a fine companion to the 5D. In the meantime, give people the high resolution version for those who want that. Give us the 1DxIII with better autofocus and slightly more resolution.

Decide what you want to do about the 7D user base (migrate to a RF mount or give them the DSLR they really want). The longer it takes, the better it all will be and the more time my wallet has to recover.
1DXMKIII should be sickkkkkk :)

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
It's the viewfinder, stupid!

Canon said they wouldn't produce a mirrorless camera until the viewfinder could be made as good as the optical viewfinder in a dSLR. Then they produced the R with a viewfinder that's not even as good as its contemporaries, much less the huge leap to an optical viewfinder.

Here's what I suggest:

Sensor: full-frame with pixels small enough for 8k at 1.6-crop. Yes, I know this is 39MP at 1.6-crop and 100MP at full-frame.

Read the sensor 4 pixel blocks at a time, convert those to RGB and send them to the microdisplay in the EVF. You'll have to do skipping depending on the field-of-view selected. Output directly to the display as you sample (and apply necessary curves/WB, etc.). Do this at 500fps to a 4k OLED microdisplay. Adjust the display's brightness to match the brightness of the outside world, which will require a total global dynamic range of the display of about 30 stops.

Put in a battery the size of a truck to give 3 hours of viewfinder use plus 2,000 shots minimum, all while running an IS lens.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
After the past couple of months I actually started saying that I think Canon is going to wind down commitment to nature photographers. The fact that their best offering right now is the 5 year old 7Dii, I don't think that's a leap. I'm not sure what advantages a 7Dii has over an a6500 at this point, especially now that Sony is putting out 600mm lenses. I was REALLY hoping for something, but Canon's silence speaks volume. No APS-C mirrorless, no replacement for the 7Dii, no pro-body R for at least 2 years...If the prototype pro-body R is already out, that means the specs on it aren't going to change a TON. Which means once again we'll be getting old tech compared to what Sony & Nikon shooters get. Really starting to regret all the Canon glass I bought.
I'm kinda thinking you're right, at least for the time being. I suspect, after Canon rolls out the 5D and 1D equivalent R bodies, they will turn their attention to a 7D equivalent R body. APS-C sensor, high frame rate, mirrorless. At least, here's hoping. I realize if that's correct, that's a long damn wait.

As far as new tech goes, I think we will get a pretty good idea of how aggressively Canon wants to play catch-up to Sony when we see the high-res R body announced. With some of the info out there indicating that Canon wants in on the spec wars, and their rather impressive firmware updates to the R line, I think they're feeling the pressure. A lot of their focus (no pun intended) has obviously been on RF glass as of late, and all the reviews I've read on those lenses have been nothing short of stellar. If they can manage to develop more advanced bodies to match that glass...damn. They'll be sitting pretty. Only time will tell...

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
On the topic of dual cards, what is the latest workflow for onsite backup? I haven’t had to do that since the glory days of the 6D release when we had four of those in our studio.

Seriously considering selling all of our 5D Mark IVs and going to R since the price of grey market is in the toilet right now and I want to move to single body shooting events with 28-70 & 70-200 and use our RPs for backup. Could sell all our primes and really simplify our day. Also doing more video than ever.

I’m betting we see under $1,500 for an R around Black Friday. They’re already around $1,530 right now.

Message me if you do onsite backup for weddings and fast paced events. Don’t want to stink up the thread with more Dual Card slot debate. Thanks.
I would seriously consider not switching from the 5D IV to the EOS R. The EOS R has limitations that the 5D MKIV simply doesnt have. Aside from the one card slot it has infuriating aspects like the pointless touch bar, the touch screen that moves the focus point if your nose touches. The lack of finesse when placing focus points (tons better using the toggle switch). Why Canon went also with the cheaper remote connection is beyond me. Do get me wrong its lighter, the pictures look great but its definitely not a professional camera in the same league as the 5D series.
On the plus side the RF lenses Ive used are better than their EF counterparts.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I'm a wildlife shooter and recently invested in Canon's new 600mm mark III. It's light, incredible and works well with my 1DX II and 5D Mark IV. That said, I'm worried how this lens, along with the rest of my EF lineup, will interact with the new mirrorless bodies. I don't have the EOS R as it was too slow for my needs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the adapter will not slow down autofocus one bit....
I can tell you, Canon did a fantastic job with the EF-RF adapters. I have experienced no negative performance effects while having EF glass attached to the R. None. Now, I'm no pro...but I would be very, very surprised if you experienced any issues with them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I can tell you, Canon did a fantastic job with the EF-RF adapters. I have experienced no negative performance effects while having EF glass attached to the R. None. Now, I'm no pro...but I would be very, very surprised if you experienced any issues with them.

It doesn't bother you that only R lenses can use "High Speed Display" to smooth tracking in the EVF? The option is grayed out when an EF lens is attached. What kind of shooting are you doing with your R?

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
I would seriously consider not switching from the 5D IV to the EOS R. The EOS R has limitations that the 5D MKIV simply doesnt have. Aside from the one card slot it has infuriating aspects like the pointless touch bar, the touch screen that moves the focus point if your nose touches. The lack of finesse when placing focus points (tons better using the toggle switch). Why Canon went also with the cheaper remote connection is beyond me. Do get me wrong its lighter, the pictures look great but its definitely not a professional camera in the same league as the 5D series.
On the plus side the RF lenses Ive used are better than their EF counterparts.
Using the RP as a transition to mirrorless and it’s definitely different. Hoping to have more time this winter to play.

I’ll probably get an R and a lens through Canon CPS and plan out a couple shoots. One thing to take a couple shots, another to put it through a whole day of shooting.

Thanks for your input. I’ve heard similar criticisms from others.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
It doesn't bother you that only R lenses can use "High Speed Display" to smooth tracking in the EVF? The option is grayed out when an EF lens is attached. What kind of shooting are you doing with your R?
It doesn't, because I rarely need it. I mainly shoot portraits and landscapes. However, in my mind, this is a limitation of the R's tech which can be corrected on future bodies...not the fault of the adapter / EF lens. Someone please correct me if I am misunderstanding the limitation.

I also haven't had any issue shooting the occasional airborne seagull at the beach, or my daughter running across the yard. And moving the camera back and forth rapidly has always seemed very smooth on both the EVF and rear panel displays. Very close to real-time. The only time I run into an issue is in low light...then things tend to get jittery...but this also applies to RF glass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm a wildlife shooter and recently invested in Canon's new 600mm mark III. It's light, incredible and works well with my 1DX II and 5D Mark IV. That said, I'm worried how this lens, along with the rest of my EF lineup, will interact with the new mirrorless bodies. I don't have the EOS R as it was too slow for my needs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the adapter will not slow down autofocus one bit....it does add more connection points regardless. Even a very minor or small lag can be a deal breaker in the wildlife space. I'll want to buy this new pro mirrorless body in a few years as it will be their fastest camera and an EVF along with a silent shutter are all major positives as far as I'm concerned. That said, the major drawback will be any loss of capability when using the adapter with the EF telephoto line. I can't imagine Canon would be releasing a full range of super telephoto RF glass by 2021. And if they do pull something like that off, they should've went toward that entire direction earlier rather than releasing recent EF updates to the 600mm and 400mm f/2.8 lenses...as well as an upcoming 1DX Mark III.

I'm not really a wildlife shooter, unless you consider linebackers wildlife. But, I recently bought an EF 400mm f/2.8 and used it shooting theater on both my 1DXii and my R, and also took it to the zoo with my R attached for some "wildlife" shooting. I did not notice any issues with focussing whatsoever. Any limitations I have sensed with speed have been due to the limitations of the R body, not the adapter/lens. Having said that, I was extremely happy with my zoo pictures. Focus was amazing and detail on some birds was stellar.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0