Canon to showcase 8K products at NAB 2019, and bring 8K plans into clearer focus

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
NAB 2019 takes place in April of 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The show generally showcases the Cinema EOS lineup, but very rarely the stills camera products, outside of the EOS-1D C from many years ago.
We’re told that Canon will be showcasing the advances in its 8K offerings for the trade show, though no 8K products are going to be “officially announced” until later in 2019. Canon has shown off their 8K offerings at the Canon EXPO in 2015, as well as at NAB 2016 & NAB 2017. However, the NAB 2019 show will bring us a clearer picture of Canon’s plans we’re told.
We have been told that the follow-up to the Cinema EOS C300 Mark II will have an 8K option of some kind, but not to expect the camera until late 2019 at the earliest.
Canon has admitted in the past that they were late to the 4K revolution and that they wouldn’t make the same mistake when it comes to 8K. We expect to...

Continue reading...

4K is certainly enough for now. The poll earlier this year showed that only a small percentage of people here even shoot 4K. If you want something that high, get a real video camera like the C series.

Care to share why we need 8K over 4K now?

It's not for us(at the moment), it's for the Asian and European market. 8K sets are starting to fly off the shelf in Japan and the consumers there will want to create content that can be used on their set. Some channels are even broadcasting in 8K. Keep in mind that 4K(UHD, not cinema) is around 8 megapixels and 8K is around 32-33 megapixels. The TV manufactures are to blame for this madness, they're looking for a reason to force people to upgrade their sets and are cranking the marketing wank past 11. Then they'll add "motion smoothing" only to mess up the image.

In all practical purposes, here is a chart for determining when 8K is actually usable by the consumer.

At the moment, 6K and 8K cameras is good for content producers to help produce a cleaner 4K image(Nyquist Theorem and the way the bayer pattern works). Right now I'm happy with 4K for 1080p final delivery and will wait another 5 or so years before I worry about stepping up to 6K or 8K for 4K final delivery. For my personal TV, I use a 55" 4K at 8-10 feet viewing distance.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
4K is certainly enough for now. The poll earlier this year showed that only a small percentage of people here even shoot 4K. If you want something that high, get a real video camera like the C series.

Care to share why we need 8K over 4K now?
The main reason why I don't contribute in this kind of forum any longer is because people are here with an attitude to fight one another. If that who you are then please do not read my comment, but if you genuinely want to know why I would value very much a 8K camera then here it is. It is my opinion and my own need, it could make sense or not to you.
When a camera moves it invites the viewer to put himself in the shoes of the character. When it is equipped with a 35mm or so, on top of the movement, it helps you to see what the character sees, to hear what the character hears and if it goes for a close up it insists on you to feel what the character feels. The ability of the camera for you to sympathize and empathize with the subject is one of the most difficult tasks facing any visual storyteller.
A camera is only a tool, but it is the tool that helps a storyteller to accomplish his task. Camera movement, camera height, crop, sound, rack focus are examples of these tools that you need.
We both know that there is a big difference between a photography and a videography as a tool for storytelling. Slow motion is the biggest tool so far that tries to fill that gap. It allows the camera to tell the viewer "slow down a little bit and take a time to process more of what you see". In other word, it is yet another tool that a storyteller can use to engage the viewer even more.
I own and use a 1DXII. It can do 4K at 60fps, but I rarely use that. Whenever I use it, I know that I reach the physical limit of my camera. I know that I am stressing my gear and my head begins to worry more about my tool than worry about my craft. That is not a correct way to work.
Ability of a camera to shoot 8K30P tells me a benchmark of that camera. With such capability I won't hesitate to shoot 4K 60fps, and even 4K 120fps; which is the right frame rate for a successful slow-motion, as a tool that fills the gap between video and photography.
I hope you see the reason, why a 4K shooter like me begs for an 8K capable camera. With the need for 8K30p all other accessories will follow and catch up, and makes my need of 4K 120fps even more fulfilled.
Finally, if you shoot like everybody else, how could you stand out? We may not see the need for 8K today, but the day it comes to reality people will find a creative way to use it.
Dragging the technology to stay behind in the day of my grandpa, because it worked for him and his generation, you simply are killing the art of storytelling.
I used to be a photography only storyteller, but as I advanced I realized that there were too much to say and my tool was not able to help me out any longer.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Cameras like the R or 5D don't need 8K.

They don't need 4K either.
I was just reading about 8K gives 36 MP stills. It seems like perhaps just 8K and grab stills from it. Who knows, there is so much happening. Or run at 48-50 FPS with every other frame a full res still and every other frame processed by the camera after you are done into 8K video at 24-25 FPS and a whole lot of stills from the same shoot. Amazing things can now be conceived with digital technology over film.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
8K translates to 7680 × 4320 (33.2 megapixels). Full width Video readout on the 5D Mark IV/EOS R is still a little less than that (6720 pixels) but getting pretty close. Canon's competitors are all close to those levels of readout. The idea that 8K is something that nobody needs is just not correct. In order to have hybrid cameras with enough pixels to satisfy stills shooter (30+ MP) and full width readout for video shooters 8K should be pretty much right on target. I'd expect that for hybrid cameras 8K readout would be down-sampled in camera to a much lower resolution.

edited for clarity

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Right now, 8K is pretty exotic, that's the main issue. Sensors and processors that can move that much data, not to mention memory cards and post production. Its certainly possible, but look for it in dedicated video cameras first. They are battling heat generation and battery life as well. Lots of issues involved in bringing 8K to market.

Video in DSLR's like the 5D was driven by wedding and PJ's, they wanted one camera to do both stills and video. Thats a real dollar saving for them. There were some large customers who bought huge quantities of the 5D MK II. It was used for india films, even for several TV shows, and it started a huge business for making and selling video accessories and EF compatible cinema lenses. Huge amounts of sales happened due to video.

Personally, I don't use it, but I also understand that a huge number do want and use DSLR video. I might use it in a limited capacity with my R, where the fast autofocus makes it so easy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sony appears to be an 8K camera that'll be able to shoot to SD cards, their new codec was leaked.. We have cell phones to thank for this technology, even Samsung was able to shoot H.265 4K 4 years ago without overheating. My personal guess is that this is focused for prosumer cameras, but imagine what that 12 bit 8K codec will look like on the FS7 style camera shooting at a gigabit or 2 per second would look like.

1545062994586.png

Source: https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topi...sor-specs-leak/?do=findComment&comment=266779

Upvote 0