Canon to Surprise us at NAB?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
NAB Hub had a short interview with Senior Advisor, Film and TV Production at Canon, Tim Smith. He touched on a few  things he expects to see at NAB 2016 as well as claiming Canon will have a “surprise” at the show along with a working 8K camera and 8K displays.</p>
<blockquote>
<p class="drop-cap question"><strong>What products/services will your company be showcasing?</strong></p>
<p class="drop-cap answer">We will be showing not only our existing product line, with a few surprises, but we will also be showing working 8K cameras and 8K displays that look into the future of production.</p>
</blockquote>
<p class="drop-cap answer">It looks like an official announcement for a C500 replacement may not be happening at the show, but the development of the 8K camera will be showcased.</p>
<p class="drop-cap answer">As for the surprise? That could be anything and we hope to hear more soon. You can read the <a href="http://nabhub.com/interview/121/canon-talks-the-arrival-of-8k-at-nab-2016" target="_blank">full interview here</a>.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 25, 2011
dilbert said:
Are there any 8K projection systems? (where is this 8K footage screened)

What about real time editing/transcoding of 4K?

The answer is No, but plans are laid, several years ago, in fact, work began.

Utube has 8K video, which is more of a stunt. Two years ago, LG demonstrated a 8K TV. Displays are on the way, as soon as there is 8K content, they will arrive.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/forget-4k-lgs-98-inch-8k-tv-window-future-weve-waiting/

It takes many years to develop a practical new system. Some broadcasters like NHK have said are going to 8K and are pushing hard. All the big companies are working on 8K. NHK has plans to test 8K Satellite broadcasts of the 2016 Olympics, and to use full scale 8K capture and broadcast of the 2020 Olympics in Japan. That seems questionable, or at least, I question that many individuals will have 8K capability, more likely, special theatres will be equipped to watch the Olympics in 8K via satellite or cable over prototype equipment.

Sony, Canon, Red, Arri, etc are certainly wanting to be chosen as the company to capture the 8K Video. The display is R&D, its being shown for PR purposes, but it also lets you know that 8K is coming, but not next week.

Of course, anyone can make a 8K output Video camera, but true broadcast quality 8K is a much more difficult thing.

I'd be surprised to see much in the way of 8K in 2020, but, at my age, I'd be happy just to still be posting here.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The big sellers currently are the Alexa Mini and the Black Magic URSA Mini (just now finally being delivered) both pointing to smaller cameras. The Sony A7S MKII is being used by many as a "disposable" camera i.e. if its written off its not expensive & for splash housings because of its size.
Given that and the impact the 5D MKII made at Photokina in September 2008 it could be a 4K 5D thats the "surprise" but equally it could be something along the lines of the XC10 in 4K with inter-changeable lenses.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
dilbert said:
Are there any 8K projection systems? (where is this 8K footage screened)

What about real time editing/transcoding of 4K?

The answer is No, but plans are laid, several years ago, in fact, work began.

Utube has 8K video, which is more of a stunt. Two years ago, LG demonstrated a 8K TV. Displays are on the way, as soon as there is 8K content, they will arrive.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/forget-4k-lgs-98-inch-8k-tv-window-future-weve-waiting/

It takes many years to develop a practical new system. Some broadcasters like NHK have said are going to 8K and are pushing hard. All the big companies are working on 8K. NHK has plans to test 8K Satellite broadcasts of the 2016 Olympics, and to use full scale 8K capture and broadcast of the 2020 Olympics in Japan. That seems questionable, or at least, I question that many individuals will have 8K capability, more likely, special theatres will be equipped to watch the Olympics in 8K via satellite or cable over prototype equipment.

Sony, Canon, Red, Arri, etc are certainly wanting to be chosen as the company to capture the 8K Video. The display is R&D, its being shown for PR purposes, but it also lets you know that 8K is coming, but not next week.

Of course, anyone can make a 8K output Video camera, but true broadcast quality 8K is a much more difficult thing.

I'd be surprised to see much in the way of 8K in 2020, but, at my age, I'd be happy just to still be posting here.
Sony could rightfully argue the F65 is 8K but outputs 4K, Red have both 6K and 8K cameras in the Weapon and Arri Alexa 65 is 6.5K. These cameras all have different size sensors the F65 being Super 35 (as is the Canon 8K camera), Red being approx. Vistavision (36x24mm) and the Alexa 65 being more like Hasselblad in sensor size (they use converted Fujinon / Hasselblad lenses). As such they all have different depth of field characteristics with the Alexa 65 having the shallowest apparent DOF.
To my knowledge no 8K projector exists and most cinemas still have 2K projectors. The average multiplex has a screen with a 56ft diagonal that means to truly see 4K you must sit in the front three rows, for 8K you would sit in no mans land between the front row & the screen. For 8K TV the screen would need to grow larger for the same viewing distance as 4K (UHD) so practically 8K is only useful for over-sampling and larger color space.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
jeffa4444 said:
The big sellers currently are the Alexa Mini and the Black Magic URSA Mini (just now finally being delivered) both pointing to smaller cameras. The Sony A7S MKII is being used by many as a "disposable" camera i.e. if its written off its not expensive & for splash housings because of its size.
Given that and the impact the 5D MKII made at Photokina in September 2008 it could be a 4K 5D thats the "surprise" but equally it could be something along the lines of the XC10 in 4K with inter-changeable lenses.

If you go to bhphotovideo and check out the reviews of the URSA mini.... You will wonder if anyone will buy after reading them. I know blackmagic is slow to deliver but some have received their orders months ago.

I would be pleasantly surprised if they released an affordable 5DC...
And I also thought they would have an interchangeable XC10... But that 1 inch sensor is not something that I would be happy with...

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2014
I knew it! An upgrade for the original C300! Yes! Finally! 59.97p and changeable AF points!!
I can't wait for the new firmware! Thank you Canon!

5045381.jpg

In springtime, the only pretty ring time. Birds sing, hey ding. A-ding, a-ding...

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
If Canon want to surprise us, how about announcing a camera (or lens) that we can buy "the next week" or even "the same month" rather than having "to wait forever" to actually get hands on it.

I strange as this may seem, I would be very happy to learn about a product that would be ready in many months… but with prototypes in the hands of some pros. This way, it gives canon time to adjust many flaws before the public buys the product, and it give me the time to get my hands on some money!

Being new to digital photography (yes, I just bid farewell to my good old argentic camera!), I have to adjust to many, many changes and buy everything again!

Upvote 0