Canon to Surprise With New Mirrorless Camera

It gets tiresome listening to the same old crap. Again, and again, and again, and again. In 2011 I was told very directly by a photographer that MILC would catch up to DSLR's in 12 months and I was to mark his words. It has happened every year since then. All this talk of little shops selling more MILC, this that and the other. And here we are. It's 2016. And the gap has actually widened.

But, I can just feel it's coming...I can just...feel it...

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
lol .. so now you are saying I'm not reliable.
I said nothing of the sort. I just don't know that you are, and your original post sounded like you were pulling data out of...

and yes, I went first by memory,and then verified the numbers again to make sure I knew them.
Excellent, my error.

as far as your high and mighty attitude, I could give you the link, but if you are too freaking lazy
As I said, it sounded like you were making up data. The reason I asked for the link is to make sure you had one. If I had cared I would have looked it up.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ChristopherMarkPerez said:
Have it your way. Certainly. By all means.

Just don't forget that data lags. OK? It reports - past tense. It's not a very good reflection of the present.

We'll see you in another 12 months to see how your "data" is doing, shall we?

November, 2015 was two months ago. Mirrorless was 25% of ILC. In 2014, it was 24% of sales. Oh, yeah...MILCs will take over any day now.

Care to share any actual data of your own? Just don't forget that anecdotes don't count.

Upvote 0

pulsarman

CR Pro
Dec 30, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Orangutan said:
You're good at digging up data, but I try to frame data in a way it will be understood.

I never try to 'frame data in a way it will be understood' because I know that data are plural. :)

Right on! My astrophysics students never tire of me telling them that :) Now let's try to get the finance sector on board with it.

Upvote 0
I'm not hopeful. Canon's sensor tech has fallen so far behind, and even if they improve that, they'll need a new mount to support mirrorless.

Nikon (D500 - holy sh**), Fuji, Sony - they're all firing on all cylinders. I've got a mess of Canon L glass, and two bodies, but it's all going away by the end of the year. Either the X-T2, X-Pro2, or Sony A6100 will be my landing zone.

Upvote 0

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
pulsarman said:
neuroanatomist said:
Orangutan said:
You're good at digging up data, but I try to frame data in a way it will be understood.

I never try to 'frame data in a way it will be understood' because I know that data are plural. :)

Right on! My astrophysics students never tire of me telling them that :) Now let's try to get the finance sector on board with it.

Actually data is generally used (and accepted) as a mass noun. And those that try to use it as a plural, typically fail (as you can read on page 2 of this link):
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/is-data-singular-or-plural

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
thepancakeman said:
pulsarman said:
neuroanatomist said:
Orangutan said:

Actually data is generally used (and accepted) as a mass noun. And those that try to use it as a plural, typically fail (as you can read on page 2 of this link):

Yeah, and, "Those comix is fo'shizzle stanky," is a sentence using all proper and accepted words. ::)

Upvote 0

pulsarman

CR Pro
Dec 30, 2012
thepancakeman said:
pulsarman said:
neuroanatomist said:
Orangutan said:

I don't buy it. One could also say that McDonalds is generally accepted as high cuisine given the amount sold. Also, what does datum then mean? The manual of style for the most prominent journal in astrophysics specifies data as plural. But I do agree that, ultimately, usage may trump traditional use. Language does evolve. That doesn't prevent me from pushing to sustain usage of "data" as plural, especially since that is correct usage.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
November, 2015 was two months ago. Mirrorless was 25% of ILC. In 2014, it was 24% of sales. Oh, yeah...MILCs will take over any day now.

Care to share any actual data of your own? Just don't forget that anecdotes don't count.

Here is what I do not get... if DSLRs are flying off the shelves as you all point out with CIPA.
And, MILCs aren't making a dent in those numbers, why even invest in MILCs????
Why is Canon investing in MILCs???
Its counter-intuitive.

Here is what else I see... I see the prices of Sony alpha cameras going up, and Canon DSLR prices going down...
Please explain using CIPA.

Upvote 0
pulsarman said:
thepancakeman said:

I don't buy it. One could also say that McDonalds is generally accepted as high cuisine given the amount sold. Also, what does datum then mean? The manual of style for the most prominent journal in astrophysics specifies data as plural. But I do agree that, ultimately, usage may trump traditional use. Language does evolve.

Context is key: in science (or academia generally) you can use "datum" and "data" in their more formal senses. Outside that context people will either not get it, or be put off by pedantry. Academia is also full of jargon that has been taken from common use and given very specific meaning; two examples are "spin" and "moment." Even "planet" has a very specific meaning, being derived from a Latin word having nothing to do with astronomy.

That doesn't prevent me from pushing to sustain usage of "data" as plural, especially since that is correct usage.
No, but I hope you realize it's a Quixotic task.

And, of course, "datum" has another meaning, almost completely distinct from its sense as a quantum of information.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There is only one singular data.

DataTNG.jpg

:D

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
mkabi said:
neuroanatomist said:

Here is what I do not get... if DSLRs are flying off the shelves as you all point out with CIPA.
And, MILCs aren't making a dent in those numbers, why even invest in MILCs????
Why is Canon investing in MILCs???
Its counter-intuitive.

Here is what else I see... I see the prices of Sony alpha cameras going up, and Canon DSLR prices going down...
Please explain using CIPA.

Who is pointing that out? Not me. ILC sales are falling, dSLR sales are dropping, MILC sales are stable. Thus, the ILC market share for mirrorless is rising, even though the absolute size of that segment isn't really growing. dSLRs still outsell MILCs by 3:1. That's globally – in Asia, MILCs are much more popular. Making a limited investment in MILCs certainly makes sense for Canon, who solidly leads the dSLR market. Because of that lead, other makers push harder in the smaller segment where Canon doesn't dominate.

The M line is a success. *pauses for guffaws* People in CR see the M fire sales, the lack of a US release for many products, etc., and think it's a failure. Japan is the largest single MILC market, and the M was the #2 best-selling model there. Subsequent versions have also been very popular. Consider the MILC investment and number of lines from other makers, vs. the one line from Canon. Yet Canon is 4th, barely behind Panasonic and with ~10% market share. If mirrorless starts to dominate the ILC market, Canon has already shown they are competitive in that segment, with a minor investment.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
DSLR-shaped and sized cameras luckily have no place in the mirrorless present and much less so in the future.

Wrong. As I and others have said before, we LIKE the DSLR form factor, and can't see how a tiny body could be used handheld with large lenses. Can you not see that OTHERS have different needs and desires from you?

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Orangutan said:

Welllll... While it is etymologically a plural, and mostly still used that way in academic contexts, it is treated as a mass noun (uncountable, taking a singular verb) by many people in general speech nowadays.

Edit: I see this has already been addresses above. I guess I really need to stop replying before getting to the end of the thread. As you were... :)

Upvote 0