Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L

Jul 21, 2010
Taiwan
I guess I'll jump on the band wagon...

This is my first TS-E lens, and it took a while to get used to it. While I still have some ways to go before nailing down the details, two things I found vital for this lens - LIVE VIEW and TRIPOD. Great lens, but not something you can use w/o prep time.

PS: By the way, these pictures were taken with APS-H body, so expect a wider view when you use it with FF bodies.

Pic 1 - Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, Pic 2 - Taipei 101, Pic 3 - View from Liberty State Park in NJ

Attachments

• GoldenGate01x640.jpg
    GoldenGate01x640.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 4,695
  • TPEx640.jpg
    TPEx640.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4,600
  • HudsonRiverx640.jpg
    HudsonRiverx640.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 4,589

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Very nice photos. So with an APS-H body the lens is equivalent to 1.3 * 17 = 22.1 mm so close to a TS-E 24mm on a FF.
You can now get a FF camera and have the best of both lenses. No immediate need to get TS-E24mmL II too :)

Very helpful your comment about the tripod. I'll have that in mind before (and if) I get this lens. I have the TS-E24mm II on a FF for now and although I can do without a tripod (I use the shift function for now) I understand that this will not be the case with the TS-E17mm since a slight movement of hands will cause great changes.

Upvote 0
P

Portrait_Moments_Photogra

_MG_0185x2-L.jpg

Canon 5D2 with TS-E 17

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2012
Live view for the TS-E lenses helps on the focusing side but more importantly in the exposure because as soon as any of these lenses are shifted or tilt is used, then the camera auto-exposure will get it wrong.

There is also camranger tool which allows you to tether an iPhone/iPad for live view on a bigger screen

http://www.camranger.com

Peter Hill said:
Why do you believe that live view is "vital" for this lens?

Upvote 0