Canon U.S.A., Inc. Introduces New Flagship EOS C700 Cinema Camera

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
scyrene said:
So you've bought every Canon body recently released, but take your Sony out with you. What does Canon conclude? That their cameras sell. They don't care what you do afterwards. You bought it. If you're so upset (and all the capital letters suggest you are) then stop buying. And workflow, ergonomics, lens selection are all very relevant - pros especially aren't going to hop from one system to another for the sake of a few features. They want something solid and reliable. Canon knows that, so maybe they can hold back features longer than their competitors - because it's the competitors who are playing catch up in terms of sales. That's just life, I'm afraid. No point in getting angry when it rains.

I am among the more cynical people in this universe, and even I have a hard time thinking that anyone at Canon would consider a person purchasing but not using one of their cameras is a successful transaction.

Canon's balance sheet might not care, but as an organization they absolutely do.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:
douglaurent said:
...Canon charges higher prices now to compensate the decrease in overall sold units.

This means all people in this forum who think everything is great with the specs of the new cameras pay up to 25% more money themselves for them. M

Don't conflate you saying Canon are doomed with my satisfaction with the new specs. Nowhere have I expressed an opinion on the 5D MkIV specs.

As for higher prices, really? The 5D was launched at $3,500 in 2005.

The 5D launched at $3300 in 2005, which is actually $4050 in today's dollars.

#slappedbyhistory

A unique, outstanding, no competition product with more features than you can expect can always be expensive. I bought a 1DC for 12.000 and was happy with it at that time by the end of 2012. I would have been happy with the price of the 5D in 2005. I am not happy with the price of the 5D4, looking at all circumstances with its limitations. I would pay twice the price of the 5D4, if it wouldn't have its limitations.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
scyrene said:
And workflow, ergonomics, lens selection are all very relevant - pros especially aren't going to hop from one system to another for the sake of a few features. They want something solid and reliable. Canon knows that, so maybe they can hold back features longer than their competitors - because it's the competitors who are playing catch up in terms of sales. That's just life, I'm afraid. No point in getting angry when it rains.

Wait, you mean that if a manufacturer puts 4K video into a camera and it overheats after a few minutes of use, people might be unhappy? Who would do something like that? ::)

The Sony's don't overheat. It's a myth. I had 5D2's that did overheat and a 1DC with software bugs. Canon is not more or less reliable than Sony.

Upvote 0
davidhfe said:
scyrene said:
So you've bought every Canon body recently released, but take your Sony out with you. What does Canon conclude? That their cameras sell. They don't care what you do afterwards. You bought it. If you're so upset (and all the capital letters suggest you are) then stop buying. And workflow, ergonomics, lens selection are all very relevant - pros especially aren't going to hop from one system to another for the sake of a few features. They want something solid and reliable. Canon knows that, so maybe they can hold back features longer than their competitors - because it's the competitors who are playing catch up in terms of sales. That's just life, I'm afraid. No point in getting angry when it rains.

I am among the more cynical people in this universe, and even I have a hard time thinking that anyone at Canon would consider a person purchasing but not using one of their cameras is a successful transaction.

Canon's balance sheet might not care, but as an organization they absolutely do.

I sometimes use the Canons where they have their specialty strength. And I rent them out to those people who did not try the products of the competitors yet, which is why they don't know what they're missing (like many in this forum). In total, Canon is not successful when they only sold half of the amount of cameras to me they easily could have. And in the end all of us pay 4000 instead of 3000 bucks for a 5D4, because Canon sells less units as many people do prefer Sony now, and has to raise prices so they still can make a profit.

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:
neuroanatomist said:
scyrene said:
And workflow, ergonomics, lens selection are all very relevant - pros especially aren't going to hop from one system to another for the sake of a few features. They want something solid and reliable. Canon knows that, so maybe they can hold back features longer than their competitors - because it's the competitors who are playing catch up in terms of sales. That's just life, I'm afraid. No point in getting angry when it rains.

Wait, you mean that if a manufacturer puts 4K video into a camera and it overheats after a few minutes of use, people might be unhappy? Who would do something like that? ::)

The Sony's don't overheat. It's a myth. I had 5D2's that did overheat and a 1DC with software bugs. Canon is not more or less reliable than Sony.

The A7S I used must have been one of the mythical ones then.

Upvote 0
Hey douglaurent,

Don't ever buy Canon gear ever again. Just dump your Canon gear on Craigslist and go over to Sony. Then delete your Canon Rumors account. You keep buying Canon stuff and yet hype up Sony on these forums for some reason. Why? Waste of time.

And Sony's gear does overheat. I worked with the mirrorless. It overheated a few times.

Upvote 0
davidhfe said:
scyrene said:

Why? So long as sales are healthy, why on earth should they care if I take pictures with it, keep it in the original box as a collectors' item, smash it with a baseball bat...?

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
scyrene said:
davidhfe said:

Why? So long as sales are healthy, why on earth should they care if I take pictures with it, keep it in the original box as a collectors' item, smash it with a baseball bat...?

Well, if it's sitting in a box (or smashed with a baseball bat) that customer probably was not happy with the product. If anything they might be bitter/soured towards the company in general. They will not be a repeat customer, they may not even buy unrelated products from said same company, and may share their negative view with others.

I can assure you what a customer does with a product, how they use it, react to it, etc. is very valuable information to a company and they certainly do "care". Corporations spend a small fortune in usability testing, focus groups, voice of the customer, etc.

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
scyrene said:
davidhfe said:

Well, if it's sitting in a box (or smashed with a baseball bat) that customer probably was not happy with the product. If anything they might be bitter/soured towards the company in general. They will not be a repeat customer, they may not even buy unrelated products from said same company, and may share their negative view with others.

I can assure you what a customer does with a product, how they use it, react to it, etc. is very valuable information to a company and they certainly do "care". Corporations spend a small fortune in usability testing, focus groups, voice of the customer, etc.

You're missing my point. If they sell a camera, they've succeeded. If they lose a customer, that's bad. But this guy said he'd bought all the recent top of the line bodies, and would buy the next one. So he's still a customer, and a good one. If he chooses not to use his Canon bodies, nobody cares. Only IF he stops buying them (and there's no reason to believe he would, if he hasn't already) does it matter. And even then, as Neuro is at pains to point out with infinite patience, one customer is not important. It's overall sales and profits they care about.

Of course they do research to see how people react. But they don't care what you or I do with our gear, so long as we're not stealing their patents.

Upvote 0
Back to the C700. It's a great FIRST step for Canon into competing with RED and ARRI. Remember that Canon is a stills company first. Their foundation is not built on video.

The C700 is obviously not for us. It's for indie and Hollywood productions. For the people bitching about "Hey it's too late" or "this is based on 2011 technology" and the ridiculous " I can get this on a Sony FS7, Blackmagic Ursa, etc" This is stupid crap.

Those people had absolutely no intentions on buying the C700 and can never afford it.

On a major film project, I'd absolutely rent the C700. It has everything I need to make a great looking film product. I see this camera as comparable to the ARRI Amira; that's a compliment.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Mr. Milo said:
Back to the C700. It's a great FIRST step for Canon into competing with RED and ARRI.

Mr Milo, I agree.

Arguably, it isn't their first step; the C300 and C300-2 have been quite a success and are being used on a lot of productions.

The most important factors in this market are support (hardware and workflow), image quality, and reliability. We know that Canon can do well in these categories, so there's a good chance that they will become a mainstay of motion picture rental houses.

Upvote 0