Canon U.S.A. Introduces Its First Two 8K Broadcast Lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
UHD-DIGISUPER 51 and 7×10.7 KAS S Lenses Provide Cutting Edge Imagery Solutions for Sports and Event Production
MELVILLE, NY, November 6, 2019 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the launch of its first two 8K Broadcast lenses: the UHD-DIGISUPER 51 (SP51x15.5B), a long-zoom field lens, and the 7×10.7 KAS S, a portable zoom lens. These two new zoom lenses are compatible with 8K broadcast cameras equipped with 1.25-inch sensors.
“8K broadcasting equipment is the newest frontier for covering sporting events and documentary productions around the globe,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “Through the addition of our first 8K broadcast lenses, Canon is cementing our position on the cutting edge of the latest ultra-high-resolution digital imaging solutions.”

UHD-DIGISUPER 51 8K Lens
The UHD-DIGISUPER 51 8K field zoom lens provides high-quality optical performance for 8K broadcast cameras from the center...

Continue reading...

Refreshing to see real video equipment for real video, rather than the endless arguments about which manufacturer has crammed the least-compromised video features into which still camera. And Canon certainly knows how to make real video equipment and nice lenses. Although the names UHD-DIGISUPER 51 (SP51x15.5B) 7×10.7 KAS S aren't exactly catchy...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Wow. How time flies. It seems like yesterday where people were saying we do not need 4k!

I have a 5Dmk3. Last time I shot video was my niece's birthday on 2012. Shot it FHD, and nobody complained. As my computer screen's highest resolution is 1920x1200. I don't have a TV. I shoot family events, and send photos @ 3MP. That's the comfort zone of having no complaints about long download times, or not having enough pixels for 18x24cm prints. They've learned to ask for full resolution photos on the rare occasion they want to print larger.

But yes, we (read: all of us) need 4K. Every vlogger, and every last photographer.

Sure.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
8k, sigh. Really, for almost everyone, 4K is a waste. I sit about 14 feet from my 61”1080p Tv, and I can only see a bit over 480 from that distance. In order to actually see the full 1080p resolution, I have to stand about 6 feet away. 4k means about 3 feet. 8k means about 18 inches.

isnt anyone paying attention to the angle of resolution a person can actually see? I suppose not, as Tv sales continue to drop, manufacturers continue to increase unneeded resolution, when studies have clearly shown that people prefer 1080p with wide band color to 4K with sRGB. And while color standards are DCI-P3 for 4K as opposed to sRGB for 1080p, most 4K sets can’t do more than sRGB.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I have a 5Dmk3. Last time I shot video was my niece's birthday on 2012. Shot it FHD, and nobody complained. As my computer screen's highest resolution is 1920x1200. I don't have a TV. I shoot family events, and send photos @ 3MP. That's the comfort zone of having no complaints about long download times, or not having enough pixels for 18x24cm prints. They've learned to ask for full resolution photos on the rare occasion they want to print larger.

But yes, we (read: all of us) need 4K. Every vlogger, and every last photographer.

Sure.
There are others with better screens and those who shoot video for other than birthdays where 4k comes mighty handy. FYI

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
8k, sigh. Really, for almost everyone (who shoots more than their cat or birthdays), 4K is a waste. I sit about 14 feet from my 61”1080p Tv, and I can only see a bit over 480 from that distance. In order to actually see the full 1080p resolution, I have to stand about 6 feet away. 4k means about 3 feet. 8k means about 18 inches.

isnt anyone paying attention to the angle of resolution a person can actually see? I suppose not, as Tv sales continue to drop, manufacturers continue to increase unneeded resolution, when studies have clearly shown that people prefer 1080p with wide band color to 4K with sRGB. And while color standards are DCI-P3 for 4K as opposed to sRGB for 1080p, most 4K sets can’t do more than sRGB.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I want a OLED screen, but the prices are too high, and burn in is still a pretty common issue. The IQ of the OLED screens is remarkable when sitting next to a Samsung QLED Screen that they named to try and confuse buyers with OLED.

I also hate all of the remotes, none of them are easy for me to use with the loss of feeling and control in my fingers..

The Amazon Fire TV remote seems to be fairly good, but has limited functions, and voice control is not there yet. There are some remotes I have not tried, it seems to be difficult to be able to try out a remote when looking at a TV set, they are all locked away.

As far as 4K is concerned, what I see is better contrast which makes the image appear much clearer. It really does not make any difference to me as to 4K or 2K, but a clearer image and better color depth and contrast do make a big difference, and right now, there is no choice, all the new ones are 4K, even the $300 55 inch LG models I've seen at Costco are 4K, its no longer a selling point, its just standard, even my Fire TV streaming device is 4K. My internet is too slow to do more than one 4K user, and not fast enough for 8K, so I'm likely getting lower resolution in many cases. Live sports seem best.

Upvote 0