Canon U.S.A. Introduces New VIXIA HF G40 And Three New VIXIA HF R-Series Camcorders

AvTvM said:
Re. Canon Defense League: I just notice it is always the same 5 or 6 people that rush to Canon's Defense in some way, any time I post something Canon-critical - granted, often in a very hyperbolic "style". Not meant as an insult against you, rather as a somewhat "ironical epithet". ;)

Interesting - I have noticed the same 5 or 6 people parrot the same hyperbole every time a competing product is announced.

For the D5 and D500, the fair comparison would be to compare to the 1DX II and the 7D MK III. Now the 7D MK III may be a year down the line, but it is the same as trying to compare just release cameras to ones nearing end of life.

Bias, regardless of the side is always fun to pick on

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
msm said:
neuroanatomist said:
msm said:
Well in this case the results are so clear that anyone above or near average intelligence understands that it would not change the outcome in any significant way. But hey if we are wrong, feel free to make a video to demonstrate it.

Oh, yeah – they're as clear as Northrup's D810 'sports test' comparison to the 5DIII, which IIRC you cited months back as 'evidence'. Even his model commented that it was not a sports test but a 'moving portrait', it was flawed based on settings...but you swallowed his conclusion hook, line and sinker. Did you know the word gullible is not in the dictionary?

IIRC I dislike and avoid Northrups reviews and would never cite them so there goes that post out of the window. I take note of the fact that you ignored my challenge to prove me wrong and instead come with half assed strawman and some insults. I think that is quite telling.

My mistake, it was Maiaibing (first letter 'm', similar acrimonious tone) who posted the Northrup link (the first – and last – Northrup infomercial for me), along with other 'evidence' like a Ken Rockwell post that was all as poorly done and thoroughly unconvincing as your DPRtube links. You've clearly formed an opinion based on such spurious tests, and I doubt it would be worth anyone's time to try to convince you otherwise. You clearly know better than us real-world users.

The bird tracking comparison my friend and I conducted served its purpose – we were convinced and agreed on the results. This morning, I took one of my kids' blue-eyed dolls and tried to replicate DPR's 'test' and saw better results than they show, but I have better things to do than set up a video rig to shoot through the VF.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
Something has happened to Canon about 9 years ago, when they lost their former technological leadership in image sensors, AF-systems and a whole number of other key areas. They just lost their edge and have not done anything to gain it back.

Something happened to Canon about 11 years ago, when they became the dSLR market leader. They just started dominating the market and have not done anything to lose it.

Canon certainly still has technological leadership in AF systems, lens design, and a whole number of other key areas, so IDK WTF you're going on about...

Sadly I think this is the attitude Canon is taking when it comes to innovation. No doubt they are ahead of the game in lens design and AF but in other areas they seem to be clueless. Example XC10 or consumer level sensors

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
AvTvM said:
privatebydesign said:
Don't do video at all so I have no views on the cameras, I will say I am excited about the Selphy CP1200. I got the CP920 recently and absolutely love it, the best accessory ever for a travel photographer, and the return to the attachable battery on the CP1200 is a real boon and space saver. The fact that the often denigrated PictBridge aspect of my 1 series cameras allows in camera editing and direct printing is a truly amazing feature, as is direct printing from any iOS device and SD cards.
A true marvel of technology in a tiny package that produces priceless memories for people, and opens doors for inquisitive photographers.

Thanks Private - point well taken! Mileage really does vary for different people/users of products. I would never have touched something like the CP1200 - but I can absolutely relate to what you say - especially your last sentence. A little mobile printer adds "Instant print capabilty" to your full-blown digital gear - a modern day Polaroid/Instax so to speak ... and presumably at a higher quality level. There are definitely situations were immediate printed handouts are just great to have ... OTOH it means having to carry around yet another piece of gear ... btw: what type of battery does that printer use? LP-E6 would be interesting or is it AA-type?

Re. Canon Defense League: I just notice it is always the same 5 or 6 people that rush to Canon's Defense in some way, any time I post something Canon-critical - granted, often in a very hyperbolic "style". Not meant as an insult against you, rather as a somewhat "ironical epithet". ;)

It takes an NB-CP2LH battery. The best bit is the new CP1200 doesn't need the battery cradle the CP910 needed which saves a lot of space, and although the earlier CP's also didn't need the cradle they didn't have the WiFi hotspot capability the two latest printers have. All in all the CP1200 is a very rounded product.

I can fit a 1Ds MkIII, a 35 f2 IS, 11-24, 100 L macro, an iPad and the CP910 in a ThinkTank Retrospective 10 (though that is a packed in tight transport mode). When I walk around I have the 1Ds MkIII with the 35 on in my hand and the rest comfortably in the Retrospective, though I usually leave the iPad at the lodgings.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
KrisK said:
Is this forum moderated?

Only lightly. They try to keep the content PG-13 ("family-friendly"), and will intervene for really strong personal attacks. There's little or no moderation for thread hijacking. We have our own variation of Godwin's law here: as a CR discussion grows longer, the probability of a devolution to an argument over low ISO DR approaches 1. :)

Upvote 0