Canon USA lays off 60 employees from the camera division

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We were told last week that Canon USA laid off 60 employees from the camera division shortly after WPPI this month. We were unable to confirm the information at that time, but it appears other sources have reached out to other media outlets to confirm the layoffs.
According to Newsday, a Canon spokeswoman said that the company “is constantly reviewing business needs and organizational structures to help ensure that we are best positioned for future growth and development. At this time, we are confident that with our new organizational structure, we are well positioned for future growth and success.”

Canon USA had 1569 employees in Melville, New York according to state records. Canon USA is required to disclose local employment yearly to the state of New York and Suffolk County, as Canon received aid in building their $500mil USA headquarters.
Canon moved from Lake Success, New York to Melville, New...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
“is constantly reviewing business needs and organizational structures to help ensure that we are best positioned for future growth and development. At this time, we are confident that with our new organizational structure, we are well positioned for future growth and success.”

I like how they say it. The bigger the company is, the more words they need to say "we had too many people".

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
“is constantly reviewing business needs and organizational structures to help ensure that we are best positioned for future growth and development. At this time, we are confident that with our new organizational structure, we are well positioned for future growth and success.”

I like how they say it. The bigger the company is, the more words they need to say "we had too many people".

Pretty par for the course. The way you summarized it is the executives told the communications team and said "make this as appealing as possible to our shareholders, work with legal to make it sound as pleasant as possible without it sounding misleading.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The CPIA data shows yet another big drop in camera sales this year, much lower than last year which was much lower than 2017.

Its really unfortunate, but the number of people needed is linked to sales, and big drops in sales every year means fewer dollars to pay workers. Those point and shoot cameras are almost extinct, but were sold by the millions and it took a lot of people to support sales. The same for service, lower sales means less service is needed.

I think that those who are losing their jobs are pretty good employees and I hope they find good jobs elsewhere. The first ones out are often the lucky ones and find jobs fairly quickly. If sales keep on dropping, a second wave will lose their jobs and so on.

I've been thru the process of having to decide which employees will go. (I have also been laid off) The management meetings get pretty tense, managers feel that their employees are part of the family and fight to keep them. I retired 4 months before a big cutback, so I was spared the pain of saying goodbye to several good employees who worked in my group.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
And people insist DSLR development will continue for the next decade
I believe that sales will determine it. If DSLR's are selling well, then development will continue, but if Mirrorless sales take over as the main sellers, then, at some point, we will see a lot less new models of DSLR's. Vote with your pocketbook. Thats what is counted.

Canon is also giving a big push to mirrorless and the relative low price for the RP shows that they want mirrorless to be the product of tomorrow, so they are certainly trying to get photographers to switch over. But, they are not going to refuse your money until it becomes uneconomical to make a product due to low sales.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
So is the EOS R Canon's last ditch effort to save their future?

I don't think Canon is doomed. They are a very diversified company with healthy financials. You don't have to worry about their future survival. Markets change of course, so the products they offer will be reflected in those changes.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
The Jamesburg, NJ repair facility closing just sucks. Too bad the "Canon Solutions America" locations do not offer any services. There's an entire network of them with at least four still throughout NJ in Paramus, Burlington, Cranford, and Mount Laurel (very close to NFL Films).
Woah when did that close? I sent my camera there like 2 months ago. Luckily the VA location is the same shipping time as the NJ one for me.

Upvote 0