Canon USA lays off 60 employees from the camera division

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
My FT-QL is in a box somewhere. I last used it about 17 years ago. I may still have the Brownie box camera my uncle gave me. The negatives were large enough (size 620 or 616, or something like that) that when I was a kid, I made contact prints from the negatives. The paper had a nicer look than any enlarging paper I ever used, as I recall. My first digital camera from 2002 is somewhere in the closet. I quit using it when I got my first Rebel.

Upvote 0
So is the EOS R Canon's last ditch effort to save their future?
Probably not. They aren't winning in term of specs but the sales will be there especially for EOS RP. They will continue to bleed shares since we have so many camera manufacturers doing FF mirrorless (Panasonic, Nikon, Sony, Canon, and Sigma). All of them have a certain advantage over Canon and so do Canon. Canon aren't the only one capable of making great lenses anymore so it's getting really competitive.

I think Canon grim look about the future and recent layoff mean 5D V/ESO R 5D equivalent may take longer to get here. The product cycle between each generation will also won't be as short as Sony.

Upvote 0
I am not surprised about this incident because Canon's management included CEO was very immature and did not know how to run the business and meet customers' satisfaction. They never listen to customers included professional photographers. They tend to rush to put junk Canon R system which Nikon succeed with their Z series. They abandoned the EF system as much as like they did in the past with the FD series system that was very successful products. I refused to buy their new EF telephoto lenses because I did not trust them. Also, they tend to discontinued replacement parts after the product was ceased from the market. I had Canon EOS 1DS Mark III as they told me no replacement parts available last year. I fed up and forced myself to purchase the non-working camera for parts from eBay.
Kudos to Nikon as DXOmark informed Canon R rated was 89 in the score as much lower than others. Since last month, I forced myself to sell the entire Canon EOS system with 15 lenses because I use Nikon equipment now.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I am not surprised about this incident because Canon's management included CEO was very immature and did not know how to run the business and meet customers' satisfaction. They never listen to customers included professional photographers. They tend to rush to put junk Canon R system which Nikon succeed with their Z series. They abandoned the EF system as much as like they did in the past with the FD series system that was very successful products. I refused to buy their new EF telephoto lenses because I did not trust them. Also, they tend to discontinued replacement parts after the product was ceased from the market. I had Canon EOS 1DS Mark III as they told me no replacement parts available last year. I fed up and forced myself to purchase the non-working camera for parts from eBay.
Kudos to Nikon as DXOmark informed Canon R rated was 89 in the score as much lower than others. Since last month, I forced myself to sell the entire Canon EOS system with 15 lenses because I use Nikon equipment now.
Misinformation overload.

Since you’ve sold off all of your Canon gear, I expect we won’t be seeing any more of you here. Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com

So bad I can't tell if its sarcasm or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
In response to the layoff...Maybe they finally saw the competition direction and realized they have been wasting their time in a vortex they created themselves, while the numbers and world direction is going with hybrid systems that can focus peak, and have new updated sensor tech, and adaptive to lens with ease and with options of SUPER hi-resolution 100mp....maybe using a foveon or the honeycomb sensor tech. No AA, no mirror, ultra hi-speed stills in the 240fps and video that puts the Phanton hi=speed camera out... and SonyA7R ish ability into a 5D like trimmer body that fits in a POCKET... while you wear a wireless goggle headset that doesn't even require holding the camera, and shoot with facial gestures. (Consider this a public posted patent in my name).

Release that, and please take a 10 year hiatus!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
In response to the layoff...Maybe they finally saw the competition direction and realized they have been wasting their time in a vortex they created themselves, while the numbers and world direction is going with hybrid systems that can focus peak, and have new updated sensor tech, and adaptive to lens with ease and with options of SUPER hi-resolution 100mp....maybe using a foveon or the honeycomb sensor tech. No AA, no mirror, ultra hi-speed stills in the 240fps and video that puts the Phanton hi=speed camera out... and SonyA7R ish ability into a 5D like trimmer body that fits in a POCKET... while you wear a wireless goggle headset that doesn't even require holding the camera, and shoot with facial gestures. (Consider this a public posted patent in my name).

The folks let go were not product developers, nor were they research scientists.

They were sales reps and the like.

This has more to do with the death of brick and mortar stores that sale anything but the cheapest entry level cameras than anything to do with technological developments. When most of your product is being sold by a handful of online giants like B&H and amazon you don't need the same sales staff you did when your cameras were sold by thousands of independent camera shops and small, regional chains.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England

Pointless gimmicks, one and all. I prefer cameras that just work and deliver, and Canon reigns supreme there.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
They never listen to customers included professional photographers.

Which is why they're the market leader year after year, eh?

See the disconnect between your inane opinion and observable facts?
I refused to buy their new EF telephoto lenses because I did not trust them

A truly astroundingly ridiculous comment.
I use Nikon equipment now.

And you honestly think that Nikon doesn't have exactly the same issues with maintaining older cameras?

Try and get spare parts for a D3 and then get back to us...

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019

So, what you're saying is that if you don't really speak English, not only are you probably misinformed on all manner of things, you probably communicate that misinformation like a dyslexic toddler with a head injury? Interesting.

• Wow
Upvote 0
I believe that sales will determine it. If DSLR's are selling well, then development will continue, but if Mirrorless sales take over as the main sellers, then, at some point, we will see a lot less new models of DSLR's. Vote with your pocketbook. Thats what is counted.

Canon is also giving a big push to mirrorless and the relative low price for the RP shows that they want mirrorless to be the product of tomorrow, so they are certainly trying to get photographers to switch over. But, they are not going to refuse your money until it becomes uneconomical to make a product due to low sales.
"Our focus is on RF”, says Canon – no new EF lenses unless "market demands it"
Don't expect new EF lenses – Canon confirms plans to focus development on RF-mount optics for the Canon EOS R

Called it last year and it appears to be their strategy going forward.

Canon will still continue manufacturing the current line of EF lenses but any further R&D for it is halted in favor of RF lenses as that is what new photographers want.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Which is why they're the market leader year after year, eh?

See the disconnect between your inane opinion and observable facts?

A truly astroundingly ridiculous comment.

And you honestly think that Nikon doesn't have exactly the same issues with maintaining older cameras?

Try and get spare parts for a D3 and then get back to us...

Try and get spare parts for a D5! Nikon won't sell them to anyone (other than a few external parts such as rubber covers and battery doors and such).

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
And people insist DSLR development will continue for the next decade

I believe it will look (to many people) like DSLRs will continue to to coexist for years to come, until one day it will look to everyone that they are dead. That day is easily withing 5 years. Maybe 3.

Upvote 0