Canon USA Warns Against Lithium Battery Use With Speedlites

Mar 25, 2011
ctaylor42 said:
I must be out of the loop. Are there rechargeable 1.5V lithium AAs? Maybe one of the problems Canon is fighting is people accidentally using the 3.7V lithium batteries which are similar to AA batteries.

I did not see anything about rechargeable. the Lithium batteries can be used by adding two dummy batteries so that they provide about the same voltage to the flash. They store more power, and last longer. Canon is merely saying that some of them overheat due to the high current a flash uses. Its not likely to be a issue unless you are really using the flash heavily.

It has nothing to do with external battery units or Eneloop or li-on.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2012
KeithBreazeal said:
And yes, Puerto Rico is one of our infamous welfare states.
Someday you should visit the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Bring your camera and enjoy the natural beauty of the "infamous welfare state." Welfare caseload per capita in Puerto Rico is lower than in 34 other states/territories and the District of Columbia.

Upvote 0

Old Shooter

Never met a gadget I didn't like!
Oct 1, 2011
Ontario, California
Velo Steve said:
Some here already know, and some don't...
The Eneloop batteries are a form of NiMh battery, not Lithium.

See http://www.panasonic-eneloop.eu/eneloop-products/eneloop-batteries.html

I have always used NiMH in my strobes - that type of battery is better suited for the power demands of constant recycling... Li-ion batteries are noted for their low drain and fantastic shelf life - that is why you find them used for your camera battery pack...

Upvote 0

Old Shooter

Never met a gadget I didn't like!
Oct 1, 2011
Ontario, California
Tuscani2k03 said:
Hmm, I find it odd that nobody else here has run into this issue. I shoot weddings with mine, and the batteries get hot enough that they can't be held in your hand. I use energizer ultimate. Any suggestions from other's who may have to shoot a lot using the flash during a short period of time?

Try a set of NiMH...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10802640&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

Upvote 0
emag said:
KeithBreazeal said:
And yes, Puerto Rico is one of our infamous welfare states.
Someday you should visit the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Bring your camera and enjoy the natural beauty of the "infamous welfare state." Welfare caseload per capita in Puerto Rico is lower than in 34 other states/territories and the District of Columbia.
Been there many times. The summers are likened to being in a sauna.

Upvote 0
I had a terrible experience with the Nimh rechargeables. Right when I bought my 580EX, I started buying rechargeables. I had about 20 batteries, and 2 fast chargers. I used them for other things besides my flash, but about the 3rd or 4th time through my flash, they leaked all over. I threw the whole works in the garbage, and haven't looked back.

What would be great, would be if the flash took an LP-E6.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
CaptainZero said:
I had a terrible experience with the Nimh rechargeables. Right when I bought my 580EX, I started buying rechargeables. I had about 20 batteries, and 2 fast chargers. I used them for other things besides my flash, but about the 3rd or 4th time through my flash, they leaked all over. I threw the whole works in the garbage, and haven't looked back.

What would be great, would be if the flash took an LP-E6.

Fast chargers are known to destroy batteries. Use Eneloop batteries and their charger, or a good Maha charger. Stay far away from those energizer fast chargers.

Upvote 0
I've been using the Energizer Lithium AA's w/the speedlights for as long as they've been on the market. They last for years and are lighter weight and yes, faster recycling. I don't do burst flash shooting and I would probably avoid it because yes, the batteries will heat up.........maybe worse, but I never pushed the envelope so to speak.

Upvote 0
rawshooter said:
[...] rechargeable lithium batteries (is there such a thing?)[...]
Li-ion, LiPo, LiFePO4, etc. Are rechargeables Lithium batteries.
But the nominal voltage for one cell is about 3.7/3.8V.
In AA size, you can find 3.8V Li-something rechargeable cells but you have to adapt them inside the battery compartment...

So I think it is Lithium non rechargeable cells.

Upvote 0
rawshooter said:
So what are they talking about, rechargeable lithium batteries (is there such a thing?) or just regular ones?

Actually a good question, there seems to be a lot of different li types. In the absence of information, Canon has to talk about all of them, rechargable or not. As far as I just read, the problem seems to be rapid discharge, and that would be what happens in a flash, but not in a camera or mobile phone.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

rawshooter said:
I'm using "Varta Lithium Professionals" and have quite a stockpile, so it would suck if i shouldn't use them anymore.

These things indeed seem to be not without risk, even air travel with them is restricted. Canon has quite a linup of li batteries themselves and warns against this as early as 2008:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248004cd70s

Upvote 0