Canon wants to become number 1 in the mirrorless market by end 2017.

Will Canon get the first place in the mirrorless market by end 2017?

• Yes, Canon will regain its leading position in all image systems markets

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No, Sony will be the main obstacle

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No, the overall Smartphone market is a key factor

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Else

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
After I read this poll in the Sony Rumors site about Canon becoming again a serious threat for Sony? I saw this article.

Mirrorless shares in Japan during the last 12 months.
large_bcnranking-2014-brand-shares.png

and

ranking_zpsmxkwl1d3.jpg

with more comments from here

Having in mind the following I decided to ask the Canon users. What do you think?
Diko said:
... some Canon Financial Results 2014 and two additional summaries. First one & Second one

I left the poll open for modifications (if I managed to do it properly). Feel free to add options and comments are welcomed. :)

The year 2017 is already near to be a turnaround in the market. However, if canon wish, you can take the second place in mirrorless. Just launch M3 Dual Pixel AF and viewfinder, and a Rebel SL2 mirrorles.

Frankly I believe that full mirrorles frame has a very small demand. Note that Leica does not even appear in the chart, even if they already manufacture mirrorles full frame before everyone else.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
ajfotofilmagem said:
The year 2017 is already near to be a turnaround in the market. However, if canon wish, you can take the second place in mirrorless. Just launch M3 Dual Pixel AF and viewfinder, and a Rebel SL2 mirrorles.

Frankly I believe that full mirrorles frame has a very small demand. Note that Leica does not even appear in the chart, even if they already manufacture mirrorles full frame before everyone else.

When I look at mirrorless world: 4/3, X series, Samsung and EOS-M etc... Non of these systems can be pocketable. The size of A7 series is about the same. However, the IQ of FF is just so much better.

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
jeffa4444 said:
If you want to see an accurate picture of the overall market (not broken out by manufacturer) then the CIPA data is the most accurate. GfK provide data that the manufacturers buy, the Sony Rumors data I would take with a pinch of salt.
I also support the notion that CIPA stats are the best. But I don't see them contradicting to the above mentioned data.

Upvote 0
I have the Sony mirrorless a6000 with the Zeiss 16-70 f/4 zoom. Will Canon match that with their 2nd attempt?
The only way they could do it is with marketing, product placement and offering product lines where the photo goes directly to a social media or a printing service and the necessary PP in incorporated in the process.
Beating the a6000 or the a7II with something just hitting the market..possible but not likely.
I would not put y money on their first try.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
martti said:
I have the Sony mirrorless a6000 with the Zeiss 16-70 f/4 zoom. Will Canon match that with their 2nd attempt?
canon probably doesn't care to. fighting it out with the A6000, XT-1, OM-D E5/10/1 of the world isn't really going to get any marketshare over the next two years.

what I could see canon doing is convincing P&S users that small MILC's such as the M are better than top tiered P&S or lower rebels.

if canon manages to successfully move some or part of the rebel line into mirrorless - then it's pretty much guaranteed that they will have a dominant share of MILC's.

Also the Japanese market (which this original report was about) is different. it's about small, and price. again Sony, Fuji et all aren't interested in playing that game - just because, well they dont' have to the money to do so, nor the inclination.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
it's a crazy small demand - you have to wonder what Sony is thinking devoting all it's resources to it. even DSLR full frame isn't a high demand. Even in USA, A7's aren't selling well. they aren't in Japan either. They aren't in Europe. Either. So god knows where some think they are selling.

Sony has gone and alienated another segment of their camera users by jumping on the "next big thing" which is the FE mount and ignoring the E and A mount.

Sony's trying to become the boutique niche supplier with Fuji which is fine - it will allow canon or someone else to nicely slip in and steal the rest of the market that is okay with APS-C - which is most of it.

Upvote 0
They could also make the SL-1 still smaller and introduce a set of ridiculously small set of lenses to go with it.
Why go mirrorless if you get the same size with the option of using all the possible EF lenses there are.
People are strange. I did not like the SL-1, I got the a6000 instead. It is closer to what I wanted all along.

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
rrcphoto said:
jeffa4444 said:
If you want to see an accurate picture of the overall market (not broken out by manufacturer) then the CIPA data is the most accurate. GfK provide data that the manufacturers buy, the Sony Rumors data I would take with a pinch of salt.
CIPA isn't really that accurate since it deals with shipments.
I would appreciate if you'd be so kind to elaborate.

Aside from shipments != sales. I agree. And yet what could you more share on that?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Diko said:
rrcphoto said:
jeffa4444 said:
CIPA isn't really that accurate since it deals with shipments.
I would appreciate if you'd be so kind to elaborate.

Aside from shipments != sales. I agree. And yet what could you more share on that?

well it's hard to determine trends.

a good example is Fuji rumors today is all excited over MILC growing 5% marketshare this year.

well did it? sony I'm sure stopped shipping as many SLT's once they started up the A7 line. a 3% change in inventory management strategy makes it look like there is a trend.

then you have mass discounting. half the MILC volume in japan is probably sold at 50% of retail. probably less than 10% of DSLR volume is sold at 50% of retail.

(yes pulling numbers out of my arse.. however a quick scan through amazon.jp shows that the top sellers of MILC are all deep discounting - but people are paying full retail for DSLR's).

what's a more healthy marketshare?

is it more healthy for canon to sell a 5D Mark III or a 6D at near MSRP versus a 20-30% discounted A7 that sony is begging for people to use? the 5d Mark III has been out in the wild for nearly three years. the A7? a little over a year.

but some think that's a "hot seller".

stats can lie - but if the market is going to live and die by MILC"s .. the camera industry is in serious trouble.

Upvote 0