Canon will announce a new Cinema EOS camera ahead of NAB [CR3]

Yep! Hopefully Canon gets it now. I think they might have ! We'll see.

If their new sensors have higher dynamic range and shooting raw would get you reeeeal close to DR of Alexa or RED, that would be BIG!
Then they'd only need to figure out how to offer higher compression ratios to reduce data rates on video raw. Perhaps there's a workaround to RED's patent, cause I don't really see them paying RED a licensing fee for compressed raw. Although that would be fantastic stepped on their pride a little.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011

If their new sensors have higher dynamic range and shooting raw would get you reeeeal close to DR of Alexa or RED, that would be BIG!
Then they'd only need to figure out how to offer higher compression ratios to reduce data rates on video raw. Perhaps there's a workaround to RED's patent, cause I don't really see them paying RED a licensing fee for compressed raw. Although that would be fantastic stepped on their pride a little.

Perhaps there is. Perhaps that’s why Canon has internal Raw Lite and RED has a new camera coming with an RF lens mount... ;)

Upvote 0
Perhaps there is. Perhaps that’s why Canon has internal Raw Lite and RED has a new camera coming with an RF lens mount... ;)

Yea, seems like there is some patent swapping between the two. RF Mount isn't an open mount like the EF Mount, but there it is on the Red Komodo. Same with Canon batteries and also the Komodo will also have autofocus, which may also be some of Canon's tech. In return, Canon got internal raw, but maybe only up to a compression ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 (like C200 and C500 II). But, needs to be closer to 8:1 or 11:1 to have manageable file sizes for docs, small team shoots, indies, etc.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018

Canon could always adopt Black Magic raw as it is an open format and supports 12:1. But Canon will never do that, they are all about proprietary.
About every one clamoring for an RF mount. I agree that would be nice but are you willing to give up your internal ND filters for it?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
As I mentioned above, for a full-frame doc cinema camera, you could put a 24-70mm f2.8 lens on it and be good 95% of the time. But you also want lens stabilization. The EF version doesn't have it. The 16-35mm f2.8 doesn't either. Whereas the RF Mount versions do. The Sigma EF does, but that stabilization is pretty awful. And that lens is huge.

Hmmm...what about lenses like the Canon 50-1000, not available in any other system and used quite often in documentaries, like wildlife, nature.
Or apart from wildlifem it was used in Alex Honnold's documentary which won the Oscar.

Upvote 0
Canon could always adopt Black Magic raw as it is an open format and supports 12:1. But Canon will never do that, they are all about proprietary.
About every one clamoring for an RF mount. I agree that would be nice but are you willing to give up your internal ND filters for it?
If not now, sometime this/next year they have to introduce a cinema RF body for sure. They are working so hard for excellent quality glass and now with a lot of promising milc camera body... so that's where it goes. I don't think Canon can avoid to make one either. I think that they will a find a way to put at least a variable nd filter... there is some space after all between the sensor and the back element of the lens mount right?

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I think the C300 III will be the 8K S35 camera that shoots 4K. I know some people would assume the 8K model would be the flagship model, but an 8K S35 camera would still be a step down from a full frame 5.9K C500 II. The 8K S35 sensor is just a better way to capture 4K footage than the current 4K sensor. It is analogous to the way the original C300 captured 1080p off of a 4K sensor.
More likely they will save 8K for a MKII version of the C700 rather than the C300 MKIII. Arri will have towards the end of 2020 an 8K Super 35 camera which is a new line-up to the Alexa I suspect the C300 MKIII would more likely be 6K that shoots 4K super 35.

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
I wonder if this will be a C300 MK III that will be targeted at corporate/doc shooters. It will probably shoot on the same 5.9k sensor found on the C500 II, down scaled to 4k, to a middle ground codec with no internal raw. That would effectively put it right in the middle of the C200 and the C500 II. You can either get the C200 with 4k sensor and internal raw, the C300 III with 5.9k sensor and a robust middle ground codec but no raw, or the C500 II with everything in one box.

Upvote 0