Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

Jasonmc89

EOS 80D + 100-400mm mkii
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I don't want more megapixels. I want less.

I want low-light ability and increased dynamic range rather than more megapixels.
...just because Canon are releasing a high MP model doesn’t mean they won’t release a camera with a more “normal” pixel count. We’re talking about the 3rd ever R camera made. There’ll be plenty more models over the next few years.

Reactions: Pape

windsorc

I'm New Here
Oct 14, 2014
Don't worry. Sony fanboys will always be able to come up with magic numbers for us to despise.
Canon fanboys will always be able to harp on about how ergonomics and Canon colors are the most important things, sensors hardly seem to matter to Canon users, at least that is what Canon fans have been saying for years.

mpb001

EOS T7i
Sep 10, 2016
I don't want more megapixels. I want less.

I want low-light ability and increased dynamic range rather than more megapixels.
I agree with you on the MP. Most people do not want or need more MP. Cleaner, images with a good low noise sensor with high DR is perfect for me. I use a 5DIV and that pixel count is about right for me. I say they need to continue to upgrade sensors in that MP range of around 30 - 36 MP.

Reactions: Drcampbellicu

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
Canon fanboys will always be able to harp on about how ergonomics and Canon colors are the most important things, sensors hardly seem to matter to Canon users, at least that is what Canon fans have been saying for years.
Sensors hardly seem to matter to the majority of camera buyers, at least that is what the global market share data have been saying for years.

Or more correctly, the differences between Canon’s sensors and their competitors’ are irrelevant as far as most camera buyers are concerned.

I’m sure that’s what you were trying to say, you just got confused.

3kramd5

EOS 5D MK IV
Mar 2, 2012
...just because Canon are releasing a high MP model doesn’t mean they won’t release a camera with a more “normal” pixel count. We’re talking about the 3rd ever R camera made. There’ll be plenty more models over the next few years.
Didn’t they already release “normal” MP models?

Reactions: unfocused

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Sensors matter. A virtually invisible difference in one metric (DR) does not matter.

Reactions: unfocused

PGSanta

EOS 80D
Sep 5, 2018
San Diego, CA
Sony is making sensors with better specs right now. They are using sensors fresh off an R&D cycle, and they are killing it.

Good for Sony. Good for consumers. Good for the industry.

The thing is, while I’ll acknowledge that Sony is making better sensors, the degree to which they are better doesn’t outweigh all the cons of using a Sony vs an R... FOR ME; if it does for you, that’s cool. I don’t think you’re wrong.

All of that said, you'd be really, really short sighted not to see that Canon probably has some sensors in the pipeline that are significantly better than the mature products they offer now.

Will they release a line that competes with Sony? Will they be content to be slightly behind? Will they release something truly innovative?

Who knows. I would not be shocked if their next series of sensors beat out what Sony is offering. I also wouldn’t be shocked if they were slightly behind. So long as it doesn’t mean a huge difference in the images I can capture, and Sony continues to be weak in the areas they are weak in... I’ll be using a Canon.

There are a lot of people like me. You shouldn’t get upset about it; it doesn’t affect what you choose to buy or how you shoot.

Reactions: dtaylor and Janek
Dec 6, 2018
Hard to say what anybody has been saying for years..

For me, I find the way Canon's new RF shuts out dust when changing lenses a brilliant piece of design work and very practical. The extra control ring is very nice to use too, for extra versatility. Much of the previous gear works very good too, and I've earned some fairly good extra income with it.

Got anything else you would like to harp on about?

Last edited:
Reactions: Janek and Pape

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Wow!! this sounds like music in my ears....

Looking at the lenses Canon is releasing for the R-mounts this makes totally sense. I predict all the guys changing to Sony in these days will have regrets in the future.....
I predict most Sony fanboys will stubbornly cling to the idea that whatever Sony does is superior to whatever Canon does. They'll do this because apparently their entire concept of self is based upon the gear they:

a) own

or

b) want but have never actually held

being superior in every conceivable way to any other gear from another manufacturer.

Reactions: JoFT

PGSanta

EOS 80D
Sep 5, 2018
San Diego, CA
Sensors hardly seem to matter to the majority of camera buyers, at least that is what the global market share data have been saying for years.

Or more correctly, the differences between Canon’s sensors and their competitors’ are irrelevant as far as most camera buyers are concerned.

I’m sure that’s what you were trying to say, you just got confused.
The mental gymnastics you go through to support a position on these boards...

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Ask yourself the following questions: what is my compelling reason for coming around this place again and again, and leaving non sensual remarks about subjects I have no idea about? Should I stop being an embarrassment and move along to a Sony centred forums where I will be surrounded by like minded individuals?

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
no this is a reality of a digital photography. this is all about photography, you know. photographs.
an art of capturing light, composition, colours, expression, storytelling and emotionally compelling imagery.

I do not give a flying duck about SONY technology drievel. I need Canon colour magic, reliability and ergonomics. the rest is a photographer's job.
I can shoot with a single AF point ,. I don't mind. the bottom line is: RAW files that are coming out of Canon 5D IV are amazing.

Majority of SONY superiority rethorics have nothing to do with Photography at all.

Reactions: JoFT

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
I suppose some people find established facts and simple logic so intellectually taxing that they would term them ‘mental gymnastics’. Personally, I think that’s sad.

Reactions: stevelee

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Plenty to like about Canon and plenty to dislike about Sony but if you can't appreciate the extent to which Sony is driving camera tech forward I don't know what to tell you. Canon is the world's largest camera company with decades of experience and for the most part they have been chasing Sony's tail for the last several years. It's a little sad.

Canon's cameras, like pretty much every camera made in the last decade or so, still produce fine images but the tech gap is widening every day. I understand why that gets on some peoples nerves but it's not Sony's fault that Canon isn't keeping up.
Tell me again about when Sony passed Canon in terms of total ILC sales and ILC market share. I seem to have missed that announcement.