Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This. I think the issue is less with Canon sensors (though there is room for improvement there), and more with their processing. Though there is certainly a part of me that thinks a 5dIV could do 4k60 and Canon just segmented it out to protect their Cxxx lines.
I never do understand perceptions like this one of 5D IV being "segmented out" to protect the CXXX line. There are features in the CXXX line that the 5DIV and other DSLR and MILC will never have, and are not built to handle, that many cinema cam shooters need and want. Most of those people, in my opinion, won't be dropping down to a 5DIV just because it Canon gave it 4k 60. Two different form factors for two different primary purposes. Two different form factors for two different primary markets. Yes, there is product segmentation in the various lines, but I will never believe Canon is holding back features in the DSLR and MILC lines to protect the cinema line. Not the same product or market.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
1. I am actually happy with 50 Mpx and would find 80 Mpx stretching my drives.
2. I routinely shoot at iso640 as my minimum, and happy with the noise and sharpness. Just delving into my recent files, here are first a couple of shots at iso640, where my admittedly old eyes can't see the noise or smudges (all 100% crops of 1 px = 1 px of original) and then below a typical one at iso1600, where I can massively crop to see the fish in the heron's beak against a dark background and the noise is pretty good and the image is sharp enough given the crop.

Maybe my standards are just very low or perhaps your RAW converter isn't too good. I use DxO PL with standard PRIME, no further noise reduction and no sharpening other than the built-in lens sharpness setting.

View attachment 185842View attachment 185843View attachment 185844View attachment 185846
Great photos! Nothing wrong with them at all. Just beautiful, as always.

Upvote 0
ugh... this is so boring. I have no use for bloated files from over-designed, puffed up sensors. I have both the Nikon D850 and the Canon 5D4. My 1DX2 will soon be for sale - being replaced by an easier to haul Leica M10. Bigger isn't better. Recently I enjoyed a hefty discount on my new Leica Q-P - - as it's replacement (with twice the MP - 47 vs 24) resulted in a major price cut - - see my big smile. Sadly there's no M11 in the near future - t cut prices on the M-10. Dammit.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
High megapixel cameras are to be expected from Canon to show off the resolving power of their RF lenses.

The new sensor technology & catching up to Sony can mean a lot of things. The 30MP sensor on 5DIV & EOS R, and the APS-C 24MP sensor on the M50 are an advancement over their respective predecessor in terms of dynamic range & noise. My M50 has noticeably better dynamic range (at ISO100) than my 6D, and I'll be happy if the new advancements their talking about is "noticeably better" than the current sensors.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm pretty sure that what Sony users have is a 60 MP body that shoots 10 FPS with the worlds best tracking AF system. What Canon users have is another rumor about some imaginary camera that may or may not ever exist. If you prefer Canon's, dislike Sony, and can live with that it's fine but pretending that Sony isn't leading the way in mirrorless just makes you sound foolish. Just sayin' ;)
FF or ASP-C? All categories and all features? Video? Don't care about it, personally. Ergonomics? Weather sealing? What about lenses? Sony hasn't had anything over 400mm for years and years until very recently. Blanket statements are rarely true. Canon just got into the FF mirrorless market less than a year ago. So, like everything else in comparable businesses... one company leads with certain features for a while, then the other company does for a while, then another company, all leap frogging each other. I've held a Sony mirrorless. That alone put me off. After that, mega pixels, FPS, and the tracking ability didn't matter... for me. Sometimes I have to hold and shoot a camera with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II for 12+ hours with no breaks no monopod, no tripod. I can tell you right now, ergonomics matter to me. Sony's ergonomics suck. From my personal perspective, Sony is waaaaayyyyyyyy behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have been looking at quite a few posts from Sony A7Rs + 200-600mm and am shocked at the noise. Looked at these for example: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62942069
You can’t look at anybody else’s developing as examples of what you might achieve, you have to arrive at an optimal setting for your own uses after trying a variety of processors and processes. DxO PL Prime works very well for your 5Ds files, obviously the linked images were not treated as well by whatever processor and process was used on them.

Upvote 0
Yes, there is product segmentation in the various lines, but I will never believe Canon is holding back features in the DSLR and MILC lines to protect the cinema line. Not the same product or market.

Good for you... Canon Fan Boy. We all get to believe whatever we want these days.

Anyway, perfectly happy with my 80D here. Thinking of picking up a 70-200 F/4 II refurb on the next sale. It's an incredible lens, and great lenses are a major reason to stick with Canon, for now, as are ease of use, ergonomics... and all the damn time we already invested in learning the system workflow. I'll be keeping my 80D until there's a BSI sensor with 4-5 stops of IBIS, in a weather resistant body, with a flip-out touchscreen and competent eye AF. But quality on-sensor IBIS would be huge for me. Some other things would be nice (8+ FPS), but not critical, and megapixels are definitely the lowest on the list.

Or... or... I'll just pick up a Nikon Z6 in a year or so, refurb of course, especially if they keep improving the eye AF software, and especially if there's a good adapter for Canon lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You can’t look at anybody else’s developing as examples of what you might achieve, you have to arrive at an optimal setting for your own uses after trying a variety of processors and processes. DxO PL Prime works very well for your 5Ds files, obviously the linked images were not treated as well by whatever processor and process was used on them.
You are quite right, of course. I started off with this site https://www.flickr.com/groups/sony200-600/pool/with/48319564676/ The images from the A9 are generally good but there are some dreadful ones from the A7RIII, the likes of which you never see posted here.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Yeah, not really. Not if you use your left eye.

huh?
You still use your thumb on the screen. You can select either the right side or left side of the screen to be used for moving the focus point to allow for the right or left thumb to be used.

Upvote 0
I never do understand perceptions like this one of 5D IV being "segmented out" to protect the CXXX line. There are features in the CXXX line that the 5DIV and other DSLR and MILC will never have, and are not built to handle, that many cinema cam shooters need and want. Most of those people, in my opinion, won't be dropping down to a 5DIV just because it Canon gave it 4k 60. Two different form factors for two different primary purposes. Two different form factors for two different primary markets. Yes, there is product segmentation in the various lines, but I will never believe Canon is holding back features in the DSLR and MILC lines to protect the cinema line. Not the same product or market.
So is your contention that the DSLRs are not held back or that Canon is holding them back for some other reason?

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
1. I am actually happy with 50 Mpx and would find 80 Mpx stretching my drives.
2. I routinely shoot at iso640 as my minimum, and happy with the noise and sharpness. Just delving into my recent files, here are first a couple of shots at iso640, where my admittedly old eyes can't see the noise or smudges (all 100% crops of 1 px = 1 px of original) and then below a typical one at iso1600, where I can massively crop to see the fish in the heron's beak against a dark background and the noise is pretty good and the image is sharp enough given the crop.

Maybe my standards are just very low or perhaps your RAW converter isn't too good. I use DxO PL with standard PRIME, no further noise reduction and no sharpening other than the built-in lens sharpness setting.

View attachment 185842View attachment 185843View attachment 185844View attachment 185846

VERY nice shots and great example of cropping when you have enough MPX. I love the water drops coming off the beak in the last shot. I know a pro photographer that uses a 5dS R because of the ability to crop when he does't have quite enough lens on a trip.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So is your contention that the DSLRs are not held back or that Canon is holding them back for some other reason?
Why is product differentiation a difficult concept to grasp? Does a Mustang have the same features as an F150?

• Love
Upvote 0
I guess whether or not someone likes a spec war depends on whether they are on the "winning" or "losing" side.. But doesn't a spec war simply benefit the consumer at the end?

Sounds like a question from someone who has never experienced getting stuck with options exceeding what they need. I don't need a Transit van with auto door locks, tire pressure sensors, etc.., but I definitely get stuck with the purchase cost since no other alternative was available.

So if every brand went 75 megapixels and jacked computer processing and storage costs, and replacement of lenses,, certainly the specs would jack costs for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0