Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
I am considering the new Sony and a Metabones EF adapter as a higher MP landscape option. I like my Canon R and would love a high MP body for the RF lenses but, with no announcement in sight, how long do you wait? Plus Canon usually “under-preforms” compared to the initial rumors. I will say that the real world RAW files from the R are quite good (similar to the 5DM4 of course). Canon has moved so slowly with sensor tech improvements in the past it is hard to believe that they would make the leap all the way to a FF backside illuminated 80MP sensor. It could be incredible but I’ll believe it when I see it!
Canon making a FF BSI 80? You are joking, right?
Look, sometimes Canon innovates, and once they even redefined the industry with the EOS EF revolution in 1987, but my advice is this: based solely on what you said, go with the Sony. I speak from experience. I own a LOT of EF L glass, a 5DSr, and all it took was a compact full frame from sony to blow Canon out of the water. My tiny full frame rx1rm2 is shooting with the same sensor as an a7rm2, and it amazed me so much I just couldnt believe it. I went from total Canon fanboy to Canon HATER. Then they promised an elegant native EF solution for full frame mirrorless, but they release the RF which also totally negates the M cameras, and man that pissed me off. All of my L glass feels obsolete now.

Lesson One: When I first began product work, I should have bought a Hasselblad hd3 body and a cheap 50mp CCD sensor back from 10 year ago, would have cost about wht I paid for the 5DSr body. If you want to do product photos, MF is THE ONLY way to go. I should have done that and saved up for a nicer MF sensor. Because now I am stuck with a bunch of obsolete EF glass I dont want any more. My biggest regret is buying into full frame 35mm.
My second regret is choosing Canon.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Yep go ahead and reclaim that crown, Canon, but the highest mp means nothing when the sensor is 10 years old, not a BSI, has terrible DR, terrrible AF, crippled despite being capable, a burst speed from 1940s, probably shoot 3 RAW at 2fps before the buffer hangs up, requires an adapter to mount any of my tilt-shift lenses..... Pathetic. RF mount = worst mistake ever. R and Rp = worst full frame bodies on the market
I'll check it out, but as it stands I have never pulled my 5dsr out of the closet for personal art work since I bought a SONY Rx1rm2.

Pretty sure I am done with Canon anyway. All my glass works on Sony just fine, I get all the features I want, and my frustration level is at an all-time low. Guess what, even wifi works with just a button press! With Canon, you have to be a web engineer. Tethering for fast speeds or automated focus stacks with Canon? Um, forget about it. I had to send my 5dsr in 2 x to get the funky USB port changed out. TWICE! Just for regular product tethering. 5DSr is a joke.

Thanks for nothing, Canon. So what, these new M cameras will have an adapter too? An adapter for a aps-c mirrorless? You have got to be kidding! F$*@ Canon.
If you are done with canon then why are you here making such long posts desperately seeking validation? Seems kinda sad really.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

hamish

Canon 7D II
CR Pro
Apr 15, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Because now I am stuck with a bunch of obsolete EF glass I dont want any more. My biggest regret is buying into full frame 35mm.

If you’re serious about not wanting your Canon EF lenses anymore, send them to me. I’ll happily pay postage. DM me and we’ll sort this out. Thanks :)

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
So your glass is:

Canon TSE-135 f4 L MACRO; Canon 100mm L IS MACRO; Canon TSE-90mm f2.8 MACRO; Canon 85mm L F1.4 IS; Canon 85mm f1.8 USM; Zeiss 50mm f1.4 PLANAR T ZE(Canon); Canon 50mm f1.2 L; Canon TSE-45mm f2.8; Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake; Canon 35mm f1.4 II L; Canon 24mm f1.4 II L; Canon 15mm FISHEYE;

and you said:

"All my glass works on Sony just fine, I get all the features I want, and my frustration level is at an all-time low"

At the same time you said:

"I am stuck with a bunch of obsolete EF glass I dont want any more. My biggest regret is buying into full frame 35mm."

You Canon haters cannot even stick to a scenario. You should try to not contradict yourselves for a start...

EDIT: As you said the glass works on Sony just fine. By the way it works on RF mount Canon just fine as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Canon making a FF BSI 80? You are joking, right?
Look, sometimes Canon innovates, and once they even redefined the industry with the EOS EF revolution in 1987, but my advice is this: based solely on what you said, go with the Sony. I speak from experience. I own a LOT of EF L glass, a 5DSr, and all it took was a compact full frame from sony to blow Canon out of the water. My tiny full frame rx1rm2 is shooting with the same sensor as an a7rm2, and it amazed me so much I just couldnt believe it. I went from total Canon fanboy to Canon HATER. Then they promised an elegant native EF solution for full frame mirrorless, but they release the RF which also totally negates the M cameras, and man that pissed me off. All of my L glass feels obsolete now.

Lesson One: When I first began product work, I should have bought a Hasselblad hd3 body and a cheap 50mp CCD sensor back from 10 year ago, would have cost about wht I paid for the 5DSr body. If you want to do product photos, MF is THE ONLY way to go. I should have done that and saved up for a nicer MF sensor. Because now I am stuck with a bunch of obsolete EF glass I dont want any more. My biggest regret is buying into full frame 35mm.

And you are sharing your tale with us for what reason?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
sony just got 41 or 61 megapixels in the new a7riv and people aren't interested and focusing has been iffy on some test shoots, check out manny's review. so what the hell i would even do with a 80 mp image is beyond me. but since sony failed to offer lower mp for mediaum and smile file formats, i would hope canon wouldn't make the same mistake.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
You Canon haters cannot even stick to a scenario. You should try to not contradict yourselves for a start...

EDIT: As you said the glass works on Sony just fine. By the way it works on RF mount Canon just fine as well...

Which brings up his other contradiction. EF glass "works fine on Sony" but he hates the RF mount because it "requires an adapter to mount any of my tilt-shift lenses....." So Sony doesn't require an EF adapter?

While we're at it...

Lesson One: When I first began product work, I should have bought a Hasselblad hd3 body and a cheap 50mp CCD sensor back from 10 year ago, would have cost about wht I paid for the 5DSr body.

When were used digital backs around the 50mp range ever cheaper than a new 5Dsr? For a while last year I was flirting with the idea of putting together a used digital MF kit and the cheapest backs I could find in that MP range were STILL more expensive than a brand new 5Ds/sr. That's the back. Not the body, and certainly not a Hasselblad body. On eBay a Leaf Aptus-II 56mp Digital Back for the Mamiya 645AFd recently sold for $3,845. A 40mp one went for $2,800 and even the 28mp ones are going for $2k. These are the kind of prices I ran into last year. (After carefully reviewing some sample files and thinking it through I realized there wouldn't really be any gain over my 5Ds at low ISO and the 5Ds would win at high ISO simply because of the generational differences. The idea of digital MF appealed to me but the reality is that you've got to be reasonably current on the silicon. A 150mp Phase One can certainly put 35mm FF to shame, but not a decade old CCD.)

I gotta ask: are you just throwing stuff out there hoping to make Canon sound bad?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Which brings up his other contradiction. EF glass "works fine on Sony" but he hates the RF mount because it "requires an adapter to mount any of my tilt-shift lenses....." So Sony doesn't require an EF adapter?

While we're at it...

When were used digital backs around the 50mp range ever cheaper than a new 5Dsr? For a while last year I was flirting with the idea of putting together a used digital MF kit and the cheapest backs I could find in that MP range were STILL more expensive than a brand new 5Ds/sr. That's the back. Not the body, and certainly not a Hasselblad body. On eBay a Leaf Aptus-II 56mp Digital Back for the Mamiya 645AFd recently sold for $3,845. A 40mp one went for $2,800 and even the 28mp ones are going for $2k. These are the kind of prices I ran into last year. (After carefully reviewing some sample files and thinking it through I realized there wouldn't really be any gain over my 5Ds at low ISO and the 5Ds would win at high ISO simply because of the generational differences. The idea of digital MF appealed to me but the reality is that you've got to be reasonably current on the silicon. A 150mp Phase One can certainly put 35mm FF to shame, but not a decade old CCD.)

I gotta ask: are you just throwing stuff out there hoping to make Canon sound bad?

I also thought it was weird to complain that canon is not using BSI CMOS while longing for CCD.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Forum logic is at its finest....

This new camera will simultaneously have not enough pixels and too many pixels

Canon is doomed because they have not made a sensor as good as a Sony, yet equally doomed if they make one better than Sony.

These are rumors! A CR1! It means nothing!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Nah the touch and drag AF sucks because they didn't add a user customizable sensitivity setting to relative mode, a feature that's basically been in every other mouse-like interface made in the last 30 years.

If you don't use relative mode it forces you to hold the camera weird.
Touch control

You can turn on or off the touch sensitive screen on the back of your Canon EOS R, and adjust sensitivity. Standard/Sensitive/Disable. The setting is not in the relative mode screen, but there is sensitivity adjust: Wrench, 3, second option down. Not as customizable as a mouse, but the thumb isn't moving across a big screen, either. The setting works for when one is in relative mode or in any other. Mine is set on sensitive... which works (for me) far better than standard. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Which brings up his other contradiction. EF glass "works fine on Sony" but he hates the RF mount because it "requires an adapter to mount any of my tilt-shift lenses....." So Sony doesn't require an EF adapter?[quote\]

Nor does Sony make a single TS lens. Way behind technologically. ;) Maybe that's why they have to keep coming to this forum. They believe Sony is the answer, but they must keep coming to Canon to get what they want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Touch control

You can turn on or off the touch sensitive screen on the back of your Canon EOS R, and adjust sensitivity. Standard/Sensitive/Disable. The setting is not in the relative mode screen, but there is sensitivity adjust: Wrench, 3, second option down. Not as customizable as a mouse, but the thumb isn't moving across a big screen, either. The setting works for when one is in relative mode or in any other. Mine is set on sensitive... which works (for me) far better than standard. ;)
[quote\]

Nor does Sony make a single TS lens.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I have been looking at quite a few posts from Sony A7Rs + 200-600mm and am shocked at the noise. Looked at these for example: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62942069

Huh. Interesting. Even an iso 800 shot has more noise than I’d have expected. That’s surprising, unless he was pushing the shadows aggressively. And to be fair, from the data, it seems it’s an as7r2.

But you know what struck me as I looked at those shots and your shots above? They’re all stunning, you’re both damn talented, and I’d never have known the difference. It’s the photographer, not the camera spec sheet.

Upvote 0