Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Welcome to the Forum!

I would also like to see something new happen with EF.....

As to the RF mount, so far we have seen two low end FF cameras. This is not enough to pas judgement on the system yet.

It’s enough to pass judgement. And I judge the RP the best single 1300 purchase I’ve made on photography gear. And I’ve spent a lot over the years on some very expensive gear. Sure, the Sony A7xx might have a better sensor by certain metrics, but it’s not as nice to use, and it’s not 3 times as good, (given the price differential ).

Hell, my 5d4 is not 3x as good. Which is why I hardly use it now.

I really don’t understand the hate.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It’s enough to pass judgement. And I judge the RP the best single 1300 purchase I’ve made on photography gear. And I’ve spent a lot over the years on some very expensive gear. Sure, the Sony A7xx might have a better sensor by certain metrics, but it’s not as nice to use, and it’s not 3 times as good, (given the price differential ).

Hell, my 5d4 is not 3x as good. Which is why I hardly use it now.

I really don’t understand the hate.
I don’t understand the hate either.

So far we have seen a pair of low end RF cameras.... essentially the 6D and Rebel of the RF mount. They are good and capable cameras for the price, but just a teaser of what is to come. I expect to see units over the next year or two that will put the 5D and 1D series to shame.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Huh. Interesting. Even an iso 800 shot has more noise than I’d have expected. That’s surprising, unless he was pushing the shadows aggressively. And to be fair, from the data, it seems it’s an as7r2.

But you know what struck me as I looked at those shots and your shots above? They’re all stunning, you’re both damn talented, and I’d never have known the difference. It’s the photographer, not the camera spec sheet.
You can cope with noise if the subject fills most of frame. If you have to crop, then high noise can render an image unacceptable. It’s like many things, a better camera and lens extends the range of what you can do. But, you can still get great shots from lesser gear within its limitations.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
You can cope with noise if the subject fills most of frame. If you have to crop, then high noise can render an image unacceptable. It’s like many things, a better camera and lens extends the range of what you can do. But, you can still get great shots from lesser gear within its limitations.
Yep. Cropping is the killer. On the 7d2 with a 600 lens(effective FL of 960mm) I often still have to crop quite extensively. That really tends to highlight any deficiencies.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Yep. Cropping is the killer. On the 7d2 with a 600 lens(effective FL of 960mm) I often still have to crop quite extensively. That really tends to highlight any deficiencies.
Still, in good lighting conditions and reasonable ISO (plus denoising) even 100% seems very nice (speaking with 7D2 and 500mm f/4 IS II lens in mind but I guess it's similar and even better with 600mm)..

Upvote 0
It’s incredibly sad and funny to see how sour some people here can be regarding those who have “jumped ship” over to Sony. A couple of people here have actually said “they’ll be sorry...”

What tha hell? Calm down. Anyone who went to Sony for the A7RIII or A7III won’t “be sorry” at all when and if Canon releases a mirrorless from camera north of 60MP. Both systems, Canon and Sony are fantastic. And both have great native lenses and solid third party lenses.

Treating camera brands like religions, gangs or whatever is completely immature at this point. Kudos to shooters who are not brand whores.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Still, in good lighting conditions and reasonable ISO (plus denoising) even 100% seems very nice (speaking with 7D2 and 500mm f/4 IS II lens in mind but I guess it's similar and even better with 600mm)..
Yeah. I have found that with average sort parameters I can get a 100% crop to hold up as an A3 size print. Maybe even a bit bigger. It won't suffice in poorer conditions though.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yeah. I have found that with average sort parameters I can get a 100% crop to hold up as an A3 size print. Maybe even a bit bigger. It won't suffice in poorer conditions though.
I don’t understand. What percentage of the original image is printed at A3? A 100% crop doesn’t mean anything when put in the context of a paper size, what dpi are you using and what ppi of print are you happy with?

I think an uncropped 135 format sensor prints well to 20”x30” (no real A series equivalent) but generally breaks down at 24”x36” (A1)

Further, if you are cropping there is no point in giving a ‘crop’ cameras “effective focal length” the crop changes that as well as the dof.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I don’t understand. What percentage of the original image is printed at A3? A 100% crop doesn’t mean anything when put in the context of a paper size, what dpi are you using and what ppi of print are you happy with?

I think an uncropped 135 format sensor prints well to 20”x30” (no real A series equivalent) but generally breaks down at 24”x36” (A1)
Tbh it was sort of a rough estimate when I said 100%. If I crop heavily on the 7d2(often coming out with as little as 6-8mp) on an image that was shot in what I consider avrage conditions I can print to about A3 without being too upset. It won't be perfect but it will be passable. Don't ask me to get too technical though as I just have a crack and see how it turns out. Generally though I will export as a tiff at around 240ppi. Rarely any less. After that I just leave it to the printers.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
It’s incredibly sad and funny to see how sour some people here can be regarding those who have “jumped ship” over to Sony. A couple of people here have actually said “they’ll be sorry...”

What tha hell? Calm down. Anyone who went to Sony for the A7RIII or A7III won’t “be sorry” at all when and if Canon releases a mirrorless from camera north of 60MP. Both systems, Canon and Sony are fantastic. And both have great native lenses and solid third party lenses.

Treating camera brands like religions, gangs or whatever is completely immature at this point. Kudos to shooters who are not brand whores.
I think you misunderstand. We are not sour about those who have switched to Sony. We just wish they would shut the f@#k up about it and stop trolling this forum. This constant repetition of the same tired BS is not discussion. It is a sad attempt to either influence others or somehow ganar validation for their decisions. In other words. Bots, trools or very lonely unpopular people.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Your frustration level is still very high, eventhough you have a Sony.
Isn't it amazing how many contradictions are in a sigle post?

I am thinking of creating a Poll:

st jack photography:

1. Paid troll ?
2. Disturbed ?
3. Hobby troll ?
4. Just Canon hater/Sony lover ? (but still disturbed)

:D

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The new sensor technology part sounds consistent with what Thom Hogan reported:
"Meanwhile, Canon supposedly is hard at work on a complete redo of their sensor lineup, but we’ve yet to see what that means. The M, R, and RP use older DSLR sensors; Canon’s next technology doesn’t yet exist in a camera, though I’m pretty sure it’s still progressing for deployment soon."
- http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews...mber-2019-mirrorl/the-full-frame-game-is.html

Curious what this means...
They really need to do that, they also should switch to backlit sensor technology. Personally, I am not one of those always complaining about DR etc., because I prefer classic photography light settings. But Canon certainly needs to catch up with Sony's now leading sensor tech if they want to keep their own sensor lines alive. We users would really profit if Canon would be really competitive again and prevent the market from being totally dominated by Sony. Even Hasselblads and Fuji's (small) medium format sensors are made by Sony, because there is no alternative. That's not what economists call a healthy market.

Upvote 0
Canon making a FF BSI 80? You are joking, right?
Look, sometimes Canon innovates, and once they even redefined the industry with the EOS EF revolution in 1987, but my advice is this: based solely on what you said, go with the Sony. I speak from experience. I own a LOT of EF L glass, a 5DSr, and all it took was a compact full frame from sony to blow Canon out of the water. My tiny full frame rx1rm2 is shooting with the same sensor as an a7rm2, and it amazed me so much I just couldnt believe it. I went from total Canon fanboy to Canon HATER. Then they promised an elegant native EF solution for full frame mirrorless, but they release the RF which also totally negates the M cameras, and man that pissed me off. All of my L glass feels obsolete now.

Lesson One: When I first began product work, I should have bought a Hasselblad hd3 body and a cheap 50mp CCD sensor back from 10 year ago, would have cost about wht I paid for the 5DSr body. If you want to do product photos, MF is THE ONLY way to go. I should have done that and saved up for a nicer MF sensor. Because now I am stuck with a bunch of obsolete EF glass I dont want any more. My biggest regret is buying into full frame 35mm.
My second regret is choosing Canon.

Please give me a shout. I'll be more than happy to take the "obsolete EF L glass" off your hands.....

Upvote 0
I think you misunderstand. We are not sour about those who have switched to Sony. We just wish they would shut the f@#k up about it and stop trolling this forum. This constant repetition of the same tired BS is not discussion. It is a sad attempt to either influence others or somehow ganar validation for their decisions. In other words. Bots, trools or very lonely unpopular people.
The whole trolling discussion is a tough one. I think it's hard to assign motive to those coming here with those comments we've seen before - they could be trolling, or looking for validation, or seeking solutions, or just repeating the perspectives they've seen on other forums to engage in conversation. I'm not sure we can always be sure of the objective behind their comments as I do think some come off as trolling but are in reality just repeating what they've heard elsewhere rather than assessing their current needs against the offerings.

For me, I try not to get too worked up about it - whether they believe what they're saying or not, the answer is the same: if you're not getting what you need from your current gear, then switch to what works for you - everything's vapourware until you can buy it, the high-resolution R included. With comment chains of 11 pages like this thread, I think people coming here from a link on some other photography website are unlikely to see if their tired trope has been said already and are more likely to repeat the mantra unknowingly. I figure it is just easier to say "buy what best serves your need best now, that's what most people on this forum are doing"

Upvote 0